Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warren family

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Warren family

I would be interested to know if anyone has a connection with the Warren family in Suffolk. There are a many but my branch comes from Beccles, Earl Stonham, Stowmarket and Thingoe
    My grandmother (Florence Warren from Stowmarket) was staying with cousins Charles and Henry Warren in Earl Stonham in 1881 but I cannot yet connect the two families. Both families were wheelwrights by trade.
    Her father, Harry Warren b 1840, came from Beccles (mother Laura Hudson from Kirton) his father was William also born in Beccles and mother Elizabeth from Walton. He had a sister Mary Ann who went to London as as servant and married into the Stanton family of Silk Mill fame. The cousins however were born in Earl Stonham as was their father Charles. The only possible clue I have is from the 1841 census which shows the cousin's grandfather Thomas with a birth place as just Suffolk, no specific town, so it is possible he did originally come from Beccles and I need to go back a generation of so to find the connection.
    Would appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this! I suppose I would need to get access to parish records for Beccles and Earl Stonham. Hopefully the genealogy centre here in Australia will have those.
    Many thanks for help given in the past.

jeeb

Default Warren family

Hi Dargie,
    According to the 1841 census Harry is the (apparent) son of William & Hannah Warren. (You have said his mother was an Elizabeth?)

I wonder if you have found Harry in 1851 as he is 'fairly well disguised'. There is a possible clue to his family connections there which may help unravel the relationships but is possibly more connected on the female side.

He is indexed as Harry Waner born Bedefs but I have checked and he is Harry Warren age 11 born Beccles:-

Ref Ho107/1796 Folio- Not given, Page 1 Roll 207445
    Weybread Suffolk
    David Hayward head unm 53 farmer born Clopton
    Mary Hayward sister in law widow 52 born Stoneham
    Harry warren nephew 11 born Beccles

Jeremy

Smile

Wow Jeremy I can see why you are a bronze star member.
    I have been sitting here in the aussi heat waiting for 12 oclock and the New Year. To while away the time I have ploughed through every Warren in the 1851 census (about 700!) and could not find any sign of Harry. I am mystified how you found that wierd spelling! I have tried in the past also. I knew his mother had died in 1843 and could find no sign of his father William. As he was only ten I knew some relative must have picked the poor litttle bloke up.
    Anyway you have certainly broken down a brick wall there. I am sorry abut the misprint. His mother was indeed Hannah. Today I have been researching the Hudson side (Harry's future wife) and got my ladies names mistyped. Must be this 41 degree celsius heat.
    Anyway thank you SO much. I have always suspected that it could have been on the female side although the surname Warren sent me looking up the male side to no avail.Lots of work ahead now! The people on this web site are just amazing and so helpful.
    Thank you again, 10 minutes to go to 2009 here in Victoria, Australia
    HAPPY NEW YEAR and THANK YOU.

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Wow Jeremy I can see why you are a bronze star member.

Thank you again, 10 minutes to go to 2009 here in Victoria, Australia
    HAPPY NEW YEAR and THANK YOU.
    Hi Dargie,
    Well I knew you were ahead of us in Aus but I didn't realise it was that far ahead, lol. I'll put it down to the excitement of finding Harry and perhaps the odd glass of wine!!
    I am very pleased to have launched your year with a good find and if you require any further help please just ask, but no quarantee.
    Happy New Year to you and good huntin'

Jeremy

No I assure you it is the heat!!
    Two typos in one day must be a record.
    My head has been in the 18th century all day so what is a year or two in a couple of hundred!
    Yes, just checked my calendar it IS 2008, you are both right.
    Thanks again for the help.

birdlip

Marjorie, you're just as much an insomniac as I am. 2am!....are we the only Aussies left awake on this forum?

Too hot to sleep! Too exciting that I found Harry at last! And Daniel now has two wives!
    When I eventually got to bed I was still trying to puzzle out the cousin thing!!
    Happy TIRED New Year!

I think I am about to clarify my status as a definate "newbie" with this post
    however:
    Thanks to Jeremy I have finally found Harry in 1851. I was worried that the poor chap may have been in the workhouse.
    Anyway the cousin delemma is still upon me. Seems as if Suffolk was full of Warrens especially Mary, Charles and Ann!!
    In 1851 Harry was a nephew to either David Hayward or Sister in law Mary Hayward.
    I do not think David was the uncle although I have sent for Harry's birth cert. to verify mother Hannah's maiden name.
    This appears to be David's one and only appearance on the stage of life so I turned to Mary.
    1841 married to shop keeper Samuel Hayward. (Crowfield)
    1846 Samuel dies (Plomsgate)
    1851 housekeeper for David Hayward unmarried farmer (with Harry) (Weybread)
    1861 housekeeper for Charles Hayward unmarried blacksmith (Swefling)
    1871 Living with Martha and Mary Baxter classified as an annuitant -- does this mean living off her own means? (Rendham)
    1872 Mary dies.(Rendham)

I have found two maiden Hayward ladies who I think may have been sisters to Samuel , Charles and David living in the same district. Seems as if they were all afraid of committment expect Samuel who took the plunge with Mary.Samuel dying worked out well for David and Charles!

My problem is that as Mary had no children what are my options for finding out her maiden name? I hope it is Warren but of course it could be something else by marriage.

Her marriage would have been prior Free BMD so is going to parish records at Stonham Aspall where she was born the only option? I read somewhere on this forum that the marriage usually took place in the brides parish. If that fails do I try parishes surrounding that village? Or go to the grooms parish.

Problem no 2

I have found a letter from a relative in Farnham. No surname and no date but an address. I have figured out due to the fact he mentions he is 80 that I have the choice of two relatives. Is there any way I can find out who lived at "Wesroyd" Werdon(sp?) Road Farnham approx 1946. I have checked a map of Farnham and cannot find the road, probably under some main highway now.

Many thanks for all help given in the past. Thanks Jeremy for offer to give further help! I quite understand - no guarantees.

This forum is just amazing!! I have just found the answer to question 2 above thanks to Trish in answer to David regarding a street address.

Street maps UK has confirmed for me that the Farnham in my letter is actually in Surrey not the one in Suffolk!! No wonder I couldn't find the street. Verification of who this letter came ftom has solved the huge family mystery of a lost relative.

Thanks again for the collective wisdom found on this forum.

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    :

My problem is that as Mary had no children what are my options for finding out her maiden name? I hope it is Warren but of course it could be something else by marriage.
    Samuel Hayward & Mary Tydeman 5 Feb 1826 Stoneham Aspall, Suffolk

Jeremy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast