Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I have just come across the term "base child" in the baptism register for Llangristiolus, Anglesey for 1829. the page I fell on had six cases of "case child" where they are given the names of parents, mother with her maiden name, with a line between to probably signify that the parents were not married. Checking backwards and forwards I can see that this was very common at the time/in the area.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by benny1982 View Post
    Hi

I think in the eyes of the law until 1926 even if the parents wed the child or children remained illegitimate. It was only after 1926 that a child could be legitimised by the subsequent marriage of his/her parents.

Ben
    Not as simple as the the 1926 Act states:-
    “1.-(l) Subject to the provisions of this section, where the parents of an illegitimate person marry or have married one another, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, the marriage shall, if the father of the illegitimate person was or is at the date of the marriage domiciled in England or Wales, render that person, if living, legitimate from the commencement of this Act, or from the date of the marriage, whichever last happens.
    (2) Nothing in this Act shall operate to legitimate a person whose father or mother was married to a third person when the illegitimate person was born.
    (3) The legitimation of a person under this Act does not enable him or his spouse, children or remoter issue to take any interest in real or personal property save as is hereinafter in this Act expressly provided.
    (4) The provisions contained in the Schedule to this Act shall have effect with respect to the re-registration of the births of legitimated persons.”

It was not until after the Legitimation (Re-registration of Birth) Act, 1957 that illegitimate persons became 'fully' legitimate on the subsequent marriage of their parents.
    Section 14 of the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1953 altered some registration details in the mean time.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234