Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hebbo

Default Queens Messengers

Hello,

I have a question regarding Queens Messengers and in particular if they can be researched. My interest is in a relative (on my grandmothers side) who was said to be a Queens messenger. His name is Edward Pett Thompson (1802-1870),a former Mayor of Dover. His son Rev Edward Henry Thompson came to Australia shortly after his fathers death and eventualy settled in Tasmania. He wrote of having to travel frequently with his father and being locked in hotel rooms in different cities of europe whilst his father conducted his duties. I would love to be able to confirm this occupation and perhaps find out a bit more about him.

Thanks

Chris

Reputation beyond repute

To be a Queen's Messenger he would have to have formerly been an officer (including Warrant Officer) with an untarnished record. You may also be interested in researching his military records.

So far as his service as a Queen's Messenger is concerned, he would have been employed by the Foreign Office. Try the National Archives catalogue for department code FO and keywords "Foreign Service Messengers".*

The Civil Service Commission or Treasury may also have been involved in recruitment.

This Research Guide on Civil Servants may be of interest.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=358

See also the Hertslet Papers (FO 351).

*When I say "try the catalogue", I take it you understand that you are unlikely to find your man mentioned by name there! Checking the catalogue is part of drawing up a research plan. I'm pretty sure that someone would have to spend time at the National Archives on your behalf.

It may be worth contacting Dover Museum, since your man apparently founded it in 1836!!

https://www.dover.gov.uk/pr/template.asp?search=402

Museum Home Page: https://www.dover.gov.uk/museum/resou...es/mushist.asp
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

hughar

If you do a Google Book Search for the phrase "Edward Pett Thompson" (without the quotes) at https://books.google.com/advanced_book_search you will find that he wrote several books about Travel (including Russia and Austria) and Natural History, some of which are available to download from the site.
    Last edited by hughar; 27-12-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Correction

Reputation beyond repute

As others have suggested he appears to have been a wine merchant with no immediate evidence of having been a Queens Messenger. Perhaps his trips abroad were on wine buying business.

I'll leave my ramblings about researching Kings/Queens Messengers in place in case they're of use to anyone else.

hughar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    As others have suggested he appears to have been a wine merchant with no immediate evidence of having been a Queens Messenger. Perhaps his trips abroad were on wine buying business.

I'll leave my ramblings about researching Kings/Queens Messengers in place in case they're of use to anyone else.
    I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually suggest that he was not a Queens Messenger, either here or on Google. The post would certainly be consistent with his writings about travel in Austria and Russia, and I can't imagine him travelling extensively in Russia to buy wine.

Also Google Book Search reveals that Fred Johns' 1908 book "Notable Australians and Who is Who in Australia" describes him on page 303 as having been a Queen's Messenger. So it is far too early to dismiss the possibility that he held the post at some time in his career.

hebbo

Thanks to all who replied,

I had become aware that messengers were drawn from former officers. I guess this is the crux of my dilemma. I have no evidence that states that he was ever commissioned etc. I have only ever seen him described as a merchant. I suppose that it may be possible that he had held a volunteer commission, but would this be acceptable as a prerequisite for being a Messenger? Certainly his son Edward Henry referred to him as a Messenger in his own notes and I have seen some other references to the same, all very interesting to say the least.

Thanks again

Chris

hughar

Curiosity prompted me to take a brief look at Edward Pett Thompson's 1848 book "Life in Russia". While I did not find anything to directly confirm his supposed role as a Queen's Messenger, it is clear from what he writes on pages 14-15 that he was indeed a messenger of some sort. A more thorough reading of this book might perhaps reveal more clues.

He was Mayor of Dover in 1836(part) and 1838, while aged in his late 30s, so if he was in the military it would have been during the late 1820s and early 1830s. Have you checked the Army and Navy lists for this period?

Also I note an earlier Edward Thompson as wine merchant and Mayor of Dover in 1808 and 1811. Is this his father, and if so, are there any clues in the father's will?

hughar

You may find this article from the New York Times of 7April1907 interesting, as it describes some of the earlier days of the messenger service. It suggests that messengers were not always ex-army, and that the service was reorganized in 1822, which was probably slightly earlier than when your man might have served.
    https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...629C946697D6CF

There have been several books written about the messengers, and an article "The Silver Greyhound: an Account of the Queen's Foreign Messenger Service" by J.Holt Schooling in the Strand Magazine during 1896. This should be available at a good reference library.

Bamber

Default Queen's Messengers

Queen's Messengers.
    I have noted the interest and comments on Queen's Messengers.
    From 1984 to 1997 I was the Suprintending Queen's Messenger. Within the next 6 months or so, I hope to publish a formative book on the Badges of Kings/Queens Messengers - from Pouch to Passport - 13th century to present day. I possess most of the books and articles that have been published over the years on these Messengers.
    If I can be of help to any members on the subject, feel free to ask.
    Message also sent to Webmaster, so this may come in different directions!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast