Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    granof17

Default Help finding my adopted sister

Hi alex,me again.

Take a look at 'scouse mouse 2000uk's' post in this same forum.Very good site there for you to approach.

Good luck,

Gill

soosie

Default Help for Alex

Alex
    Try NORCAP - they helped me find and make contact with my birth parents, were very discreet and supportive.
    You will also need to speak to Social Services, but as has been said before, I'm sure you will have to be at least 18.
    What you also need to bear in mind, your sister may not know she is adopted. I think you'll find that you can't contact her, she needs to contact you. There is an Adoption Register, where both 'sides' can register, and if they both do so, they can be connected. I can't remember the contact details for either NORCAP or the Adoption Register, but I'm sure they will be easily found on the web.

Good luck
    Sue

granof17

Default Searching for my adopted sister

Hi Sue,

I just need to point out that I have helped people here in Australia.
    I myself was adopted out of Liverpool U.K. in 1941,into a Welsh Family in North Wales.I decided to my search for my ' birth mother and her family' due to an illness that needed researching through my genes.
    At the age of 56 I travelled back to Wales and began my search.Initially I located my birth cert. with the aid of Jigsaw here in Western Australia.I was counselled by them,and duly received my cert.
    In the 3 month time-slot I had allowed myself over there,I not only found my mother,but also half-brothers and many relatives.
    The 'meeting' with my mother was handled by a lovely lady acting as a go-between...all my queries and worries regarding my health were answered and eased...
    I did approach local newspapers who were happy to run a story for me,and T.V.Wales also took up my story.

I would NEVER advocate that people just rock up and knock on someone's door,that is NOT how my friend and I go about it over here.All we do is point people in the right direction,assist with letter writing(I'm a great believer in the power of the pen),and what other things they can do to aid their search.At all times we respect the privacy of the adoptees.

Sorry if I trod on some toes here.

Adoption is a touchy subject....

So with that apology I will bow out.

Gill

soosie

Default Message for Gill (granof17)

Dear Gill
    Not sure whether some lines have got a bit crossed here.
    In no way would I say that you or anyone else would intentionally do things insensitively - I just remarked that I know of someone who did just knock on a door, with disasterous consequences for lots of people concerned.

The replies I have read from everyone on this topic have been really supportive, so I'm sorry if you read one of my replies differently.

That must have been really difficult to trace your birth mother from the other side of the world - how lucky you have been to have found them. As I said in another message, I've got an older half sister who I've met, and a younger full sister who can't seem to cope with the knowledge that I exist, so we just send cards at birthdays and Christmas. That's a lot more than many people have I know, but I would love to meet her, and try to reassure her that my Mum & Dad aren't hers. Still, time will tell.

Keep up your good work helping people to find their birth families, and if ever I can do anything from this side of the world, let me know.

Regards
    Sue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12