Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sunpat

Default Recent visit to Charlbury Museum

Hi everyone
    I was recently able to visit Charlbury Museum with my mother and brother where we met Ron Prew, the curator, who has been enormously helpful with my research on the Beating of the Bounds.
    Along with my mother's sister, my cousin and other close family members we were very happy to be able to spend some time at the museum especially as my great uncle Herbert PICKETT who was only 5 when his sister, Evelyn Clara, drowned in the River Evenlode was able to join us, with my great aunt and their granddaughter.
    The museum is packed with items to stir the memory of folk, like me, who have lived in Charlbury, even for a short while (until I was 5), and it provided a wonderful opportunity for our family, usually spread across the UK, to re-unite, reminisce and think about the Beating of the Bounds in 1924.
    Thank you again to everyone who has generously helped with information and suggestions.
    Sunpat

Clarelane

Default Thanks

Hi, I have just found this thread- I know I come very late to the discussion. My grandmother's name was Ellen Pickett before her marriage. Her family lived in Charlbury when she was young. When I was a child she told me that one of her sisters had died tragically by drowning. She also mentioned a younger brother named Herbert. I met two of her sisters but I believe it was a large family so there must be many I have no knowledge of. I am very interested to see the newspaper coverage of the tragedy. Thank you for the interesting posts.

JackieC

Thanks for starting this thread - there are no relatives of mine involved, but I used to live at Finstock, a couple of miles from Charlbury. I'd never heard of this tragedy before.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123