Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sunpat

Default Charlbury Beating of the Bounds Tragedy

The 'Digging Up Your Roots' Radio Scotland programme will have an item on the 1924 tragedy which will be broadcast on the morning of January 27th.
    The programme can be listened to via the BBC website so I'm hoping that anyone with an interest in Charlbury's Beating of the Bounds tragedy will be able to listen in.
    Thank you to everyone who has helped me find out more about the deaths of my great aunt, Evelyn Clara Pickett, and the two young boys, James William BISHOP, aged 13, and Cyril Stanley SMITH, aged 9, who died on that same day.
    A gentleman from Charlbury Museum was interviewed for the programme, for background on the Charlbury Beating of the Bounds, and I chatted to the programme researchers about my great aunt and my search for information on the tragedy.
    I don't know how much of the recording will be used and, as I don't even like hearing my voice on my answering machine, I'm sure I'll be cringing during the broadcast but I hope my mention of helpful forum members will be included!
    Sunpat
    Last edited by Sunpat; 16-01-2008 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Added detail

Sunpat

Default Correction

The researcher for 'Digging Up Your Roots' has been in touch - the broadcast date has been changed to 10th February as the item will better fit that programme.
    The time remains at 11:05am.
    Sunpat

kate1

Quote Originally Posted by Sunpat View Post
    The researcher for 'Digging Up Your Roots' has been in touch - the broadcast date has been changed to 10th February as the item will better fit that programme.
    The time remains at 11:05am.
    Sunpat
    Hi Sunpat,
    I have just heard the broadcast on Radio Scotland,today on listen again. although apparently it was broadcast on February 3rd. I thought that it was a really interesting report and both you and Ron Prew sounded very good.
    The grave of the children are just over the wall behind our house. So of course i was interested to listen to the broadcast. I suppose you know that there was a television report a couple of years ago,that was broadcast on the local television, I can't remember if it was on Central news or its predecessor. or even what year. One of the young lad's who rescued or attempted to rescue some of the victims was being interviewed along with Mrs Jackson, i think that she is still alive. He was a Boy scout at the time and Mrs Jackson was a very young girl who was there at the time of the tragedy. Anyway i thought that you might be interested in that. perhaphs you might be able to get hold of the TV interview.... Regards Kate1

Geoffers

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums Kate - gosh, someone else in Charlbury!!

janiegirl

Hi Kate

Welcome from me too

I've listened to the programme on listen again too as I was out this morning.

Sunpat is my mum. She tells me that she has heard about the television programme you talk about but has not watched it. It was broadcast in 1999 (the 75th anniversary of the drowning). Mum tells me that she would like see the programme.

She has a copy of the Charlbury Chronicle article about the event that was also printed in 1999.

I visited the grave about 10 years ago when I was visiting friends in the area.

Janiegirl

kate1

Smile

Thanks Geoffers. I must say that i think your posts are really interesting.
    I might even see you about with your dogs. Anyway thank you for your welcome. Kate1

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
    I might even see you about with your dogs. Anyway thank you for your welcome. Kate1
    1 Border Collie and 2 Beardies, you'll sometimes see them parked outside the Co-op, the Good Food shop or walking around the town.

If you can find out which TV company made the programme you should ring them - or the company that has inherited the library and ask to speak to the librarian. Then ask if they can find it and how much would it cost for them to send you a copy. I did this with an interview that my dad did with TWW and even though the TV company is different they still have the archive and they found the piece and sent it to me free of charge. My children had no memory of their grandad when he was that age (it was done when My oldest was only one year old) so it was wonderful to watch their faces as they looked at him in him prime and not the grumpy pain-ridden old man he was before he died.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Sunpat

Thank you for the suggestion, Ladykis. I'll give Central TV a call since I know the programme was broadcast on Monday June 28th 1999.
    In that year articles in several issues of the Charlbury Chronicle and by Rob Stepney (a local resident) in the Oxford Times and Oxford Mail about the events of the 29th May 1924 led on to the televised meeting between Ewart Taylor, the boy scout, and Patricia Stockman, nee Olive Postle, who he had been able to rescue from the River Evenlode. Ewart was later awarded the Scout VC and the medal of the Humane Society for his bravery.
    Patricia moved from Charlbury as a young girl and they did not meet again until June 1999.
    No wonder that the Chronicle records "Champagne corks popped" when Ewart, now 91 years old, and Patricia met once again and she was able to thank him for 75 years of life.
    Sunpat

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by janiegirl View Post
    Sunpat is my mum. She tells me that she has heard about the television programme you talk about but has not watched it. It was broadcast in 1999 (the 75th anniversary of the drowning). Mum tells me that she would like see the programme.
    I have a vague recollection of it being a short item on the local news.

Charlbury Chronicle and by Rob Stepney (a local resident) in the Oxford Times and Oxford Mail about the events of the 29th May 1924
    Have you seen these items and/or been able to get copies?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast