Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wanda

Have you seen the newspaper copy on google?

Your gt. aunt looks so pretty.

Wanda

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Have you seen the newspaper copy on google?
    Which may be found here:

https://www.charlbury.info/cgi-bin/dg...tures_-_events

Click on the item to enlarge.

Sunpat

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and advice.
    Rob Stepney sent me his articles and Lynette Murphy (Charlbury Chronicle) sent all the issues published during 1999 which contained articles relating to the tragedy along with a special edition, exclusively about the Beating of the Bounds tragedy, their generosity meant a great deal and the information was extremely helpful.
    The link jan posted to the 'charlbury.info photo gallery shows exactly what I found there that sparked my interest in finding out as more about the events
    Sunpat

Roses

Hi Sunpat,

I remember as a young girl a Mr Pickett (can't remember his christian name) used to work in the Charlbury co-op. Would he be a member of your family?

I have just joined and have found this site very interesting.

All the best

Roses

Sunpat

Hi Roses

I've heard about the Mr Pickett at the Charlbury Co-op but am unsure of a close link to 'my' Picketts.

I do know that there was another Pickett family (in Chipping Norton) with children of similar ages to my mother and her siblings (one daughter even had the same first name as my aunt) so perhaps he was one of that Pickett family?
    Several members of that Pickett family were very musical and there are many photographs (from the 1930/40/50s) of them in Chipping Norton local history publications.

I will try to find out if there is a connection and let you know.

Sunpat

Roses

Hi Sunpat,

Just to let you know Mr Pickett was a lovely chap a real gentlemen, always raised his hat when he met you.

Roses

Roses

Hi Kate1,

If you walk in the Charlbury Cemetary, how far up do you have to go to locate the graves of the children who died in the 'Beating of the Bounds'. I walk through the cemetary at least once a week, and would be interested to know there whereabouts. I notice in your previous post they are beside the wall.

Thanks

Roses

kate1

Hi Roses,
    Sorry i haven't got back to you any sooner, if your coming from the main entrance of the grave yard, opposite the dairy, walk all the way up the path,
    until you get to the first house which will be on the right hand side, you will see the 2 tall trees, in our garden is a summer house and a small shed, just parallel with the 2nd tree and before the seat, is a row of graves, on the right hand side. It's the 3rd grave in, it has small pot on the grave, the grave next to it 4th one in, is covered in Ivy. You can't miss it really. I hope you find it ok. I am off work this week, so might see you over the wall.
    Kate

Geoffers

In case it helps to find it - the grave nearest the path in the same row is for HARWOOD, the next one in from the path is for HARRIS.

Roses

Thanks everyone, found it this morning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast