Thread: Hilditch family

Pommie lass

Default Hilditch family

My great grandparents x 2 were a John Mason and Sarah Hilditch.

I have had some success with the Mason line but confirming the Hilditch side is difficult. The marriage certificate gives Sarah's father as a Samuel Hilditch an Agricultural Labourer.
    They were married in Barthomley in 1844,
    I would be greatful for any help received.

Patricia.

Hi Patricia
    Is Sarah's age on the marriage certificate? Was Samuel, the father shown as deceased?
    I looked at the 1841 census for Cheshire and the only Samuel I came up with and having a Sarah in the household that looked promising was one aged 23 living with his siblings Edward 25, John 18, Henry 16 and Sarah 14. The head of household was Mary Hilditch aged 50, widow. So Samuel aged 23 could have been named after his deceased father.
    None of the boys were ag labourers, in fact what I first thought said joiners looks more like farrier? and farrier's apprentice on closer look but I wouldn't swear to it. HO 107/122 Book 9 Folio 14 page 21.
    I'll bet you have seen this eh? And I have made some sweeping assumptions eg sarah could have been living away from home in the 1841 census.
    Christina

Pommie lass

Default Hilditch

Hi Christina,

In the 1851 census John and Sarah are living in Staffordshire. A Thomas Hilditch is a visitor. He was born abt 1837 in Talke, Staffordshire.
    I have researched Thomas and found him in 1861 with his mother Ann in Congleton and two sisters Hannah and Margaret. Looking back to 1851 I found an Ann married to a Samuel born in Lancashire. This is the only clue I have. 1841 census has not revealed any Sarah that fits the right age.

Patricia.

Hi Patricia
    ummmm. Looks like I am only finding the same things as you with no new angles. The brain is mush, something to do with the time of year and one dog having an op and another peacefully passing away aged 14. How much mushier would the brain get if we were actually in NZ with all family instead of being Darby and Joan this year.
    When (and if) my mental faculties improve any time soon I will revisit your brick wall.
    Good luck
    Christina

Wirral

What about this couple in the 1851 census?:
    HO107/2168 folio 129 page 14, Hedleys Row, Wheelock, Cheshire
    Samuel HILDITCH, head, Mar, 48, Ag lab, Cheshire Barthomley
    Ann HILDITCH, wife, Mar, 47, Cheshire Sandbach

jeeb

Default 1851 census

Hi Patricia,

I think probably even more likely are:-

Ref HO107/2168 Folio 167 Page 13
    9 Pepper Street, Betchton, Cheshire
    Samuel Hilditch 55 Ag Lab born Lancs Manchester
    Ann Wife 50 born Cheshire Nantwich
    Hannah dau 19 dressmaker born Cheshire Congleton
    Margaret dau 10 born Staffordshire. Talk oth' Hill

Jeremy

Pommie lass

Default Hilditch family

Thanks for all the information, Every little piece helps.
    Have a happy and safe Christmas,
    Patricia.

Deanna

Default Samuel Hilditch of Barthomley

On line at
    https://www.fcet.staffs.ac.uk/audleyv...n%20Hollow.htm

there is a note that 19.11.1869 Samuel Hilditch died suddenly at Barthomley.

It also notes 30.12.1882 that Samuel Hilditch, deceased , being sold, W Hilditch share of his property, and also
    24.2.1883 'Samuel Hilditch, sale of his property'

- he appears to have had a lot of property!

Best wishes

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Please excuse me for jumping in on this topic but there was a Samuel Hilditch of nantwich who had a son Job Hilditch who married a Sarah Tomkinson. At one point I think they were residing at Churchyardside in Nantwich and were shoemakers. Hope this may help.