Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Peter_uk_can

Default Before we are both dead

Although my main genealogy research is with the Chaboillez families, I have a closer link that I have chased for over 30 years.

In 1974 I found some photographs of my Great Uncle, Edward Vibert, taken somewhere in Canada when he was a young man. From these and a little research I was able to discover that in about 1896 at the age of 13, he left the Channel Island of Jersey with a load of cattle bound for Canada.

He never returned to Jersey and only ever wrote to one of his 10 sisters.
    In 1999 I found some photographs and postcards, which he had mailed, and from these was able to piece together a little about his life.

One particular photograph has always intrigued me. It is date stamped 1965 and was taken outside # 7936. After some searching, I discovered that the address was 7936 Rue La Jeunesse, Montreal, where Edward was living with his daughter, Hugette Lebel and his grandaughter Johanne. I then found that Hugette married Emilien Lebel in 1952.

In the 1965 photo Johanne would have been about 6 years old, so today she would be perhaps 48 ish.

Although I wrote to the address and to the neighbors, no one had any knowledge of the family. I have even mailed all the lebel or labelle I could find, but to no avail.

I have so much history of Johanna's grandfather, that I would really like her to have.

Several newspapers ran the story some years back, but to no avail.

I have tried posting the name in various forums hoping that perhaps with the help of Google, Johanne may some day stumble upon it.

If anyone out there can help in any way, I would be very grateful.

As I said in my title, it would be nice to make this link before we are both dead, just in case we are not able to make it after.

I trust this does not break too many forum rules.

Peter

v.wells

Cyndi's list has a message board as do genes reunited, ancestry. As this is Montreal have you thought about putting a blanket ad in the personal columns, eg: Montreal Sun, Toronto Sun/Star or the National Post? It's just a thought. Or try Canada 411 (google for url) - an online search for persons in the province that you think. Actually you may get lucky there as it is a unusual name. If you get a hit it costs little to phone and ask are you related to so and so, my name is.... Then go on to the next one.

giveover

Default Before we are both dead

Hi Peter,

I entered the name Emilien Labelle on Canada 411 and only two came up, both in Quebec.

Have you tried these two?

Anne

v.wells

Thumbs up

That's terrific Anne! Hopefully Peter sees this and will be able to report back some happy news for us!

Peter_uk_can

Hi. We did indeed telephone these people, along with quite a few other Lebels on 411 but sadly to no avail.

Many thanks for thinking of me on this.

v.wells

Peter

I'm so sorry that it didn't pan out! Hopefully you tried Ontario and New Brunswick? There is a large population of French there as well. I have just googled Emilien Lebel and Hugette on Canada web only and lots came up. I don't know enough French. Have a go since you know what link you are looking for.

By the way Peter, I visited your web site and it is very well done. You are quite the historian. My knowledge is vastly inferior to yours!
    Last edited by v.wells; 20-12-2007 at 6:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to add last bit

Peter_uk_can

Vanessa. When I moved to Canada in 2002, I didn't know that I would become so engrossed in its history. I had spent many years on historical research connected with my family in the Channel Island of Jersey and a connection with the American Civil war.

The history of our ancestors, the places and manner in which they lived has always interested me. I have never placed much importance on the volume of names in my family tree, but rather the information that goes with them.

I estimate that the website is currently close to two years behind where we expected it to be at this time. We are hoping to close that gap over the next 3-4 months.

Thankyou for your interest

Peter

IanBrowness

Re "Lebelle": That's an extremely odd surname indeed, as the beginning and end don't match, i.e. in French, the first part is masculine but the second's feminine, so the combination would sound quite jarring to a French speaker (a.k.a. "francophone"), suggesting to me there's been a transcription error somewhere. Related combinations which do work are "Labelle", a very common surname, and "Lebel" or (far more likely) "Lebeau", on any of which, particularly the first, you might want to try redoing some of your searches. Coincidentally, I once worked for a senior civil servant named Huguette Labelle in Ottawa, who was quite an accomplished woman.

Peter_uk_can

The correct spelling is Lebel, or as it is written on some old postcards, Le Bel.

Sorry for any confusion.

ET in the USA

Peter,

Perhaps this is so obvious that you tried it first, but what makes you think that a 48-ish year old female would still have the surname Lebel ???

Have you scoured all marriage resources for Johanne - starting in say 1977 when she was about 18?

Ditto deaths for her parents? In the US there is a Social Security death index where you might find something like that. Any such site or obituary archives to search where you suspect they lived & possible died ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast