Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Peter_uk_can

Hi E.T and thanks for your contribution. You are perfectly correct in assuming that Johanne could now be married and have a different name.

Some years ago we did look for records of a marriage in Montreal, it is of course possible that she married elsewhere.

Johanne's grandfather Edward Vibert, was one of the many Viberts included in a genealogy project some years ago, it appears he had a son who died without issue and a daughter Huguette.

Over the years I have made several postings under the names of Vibert and Lebel, hoping that perhaps one day Johanne may be curious about her family and stumble across the info.

Peter

canuck1

sometimes in Canada, it is extremely likely that you will never find your answers. alot of people came to the "new land" to do exactly that! become new! I traced my family on my fathers side back to when the family came to Canada and 2 of my great Uncles seem to disappear into thin air. 1 was a deserter from some branch of the English military and the other may have been a butcher. This I found from family records and on English sites.

Because of the IMHO stupid Privacy Laws in Canada much needed information is unavailable to be had at any price. Even from an immediate family member! Unless you have knowledge of where they settled, its like "looking for a needle in a haystack". 1 great uncle was in Ontario and the other was in BC, then the Yukon. I know that both married and had offspring but there are no records of them anywhere to be found. I have to settle with finding 7 of the 9 of the Daines lineage. I wish you luck in your endevours and may you have better luck then me. have a successful 2008. - canuck1; aka Don

Peter_uk_can

Hi Don.. Thanks for your good wishes for 2008. I trust it is a good year for you too.

Secrecy in families is not of course limited to Canada, I know that in my own lineage I was frowned upon for asking questions about certain family members. In the end, "big" secrets usually turned out to be perhaps a multiple marriage or even a child conceived out of wedlock. There is the odd muderer and abuser scattered through our family histories, but we are not here to judge or offer opinion.

canuck1

"not here to judge or OFFER OPINIONS" that where your wrong = every post from every member is THEIR opinion! or insight. i luv the australians; easy to talk too and help. know how many times i've been judged? every time i get called a "colonial". look at the hassel for the forum in the topic CANADA! i suggested a breakdown because posting Quebec links for BC researchers or for those looking for Maritime information could go to that section instead of researching 60 pages under Canada covering the territories.

Peter_uk_can

Don. My reference was directed at family members not posters on the forum.

Trust that explains it a little better.

Ken Boyce

Hi Peter in Winnipeg

I briefly visited your website this morning - it is fantastic!

The canoe painting is a masterpiece!

I noticed that part of your research involved Jersey which I believe because of its geographical location had strong ties with 17 &18C Canada and suffered from the same French - English turmoil’s as did Canada – It would seem to me that one big difference between Jersey and Canada was that at one period the population of the tiny Island of Jersey must have exceeded that of the entire immigrant population of the vast area of Canada West of say roughly the St Lawrence by a few 1000:1

I’m told that the cows imported into early Canada from Jersey were much better looking than those scraggly things with long horns imported from Scotland and it was sometime before the inhabitants of a certain part of Canada who shall be nameless discovered that the Longhorns were not for milking!!

May your research in 2008 be fruitful and fulfilling

Regards

Peter_uk_can

Hi Ken, and all others who may be reading this. Thanks Ken for your compliments about our website. There is always so much I want to do with it. My wife's family are the Chaboyers/Chaboillez which connect to the very earliest fur traders in Canada. My interest in history exceeds my interest in genealogy and I am fascinated by all early Canadian/American history.

My parents, g/parents and great grandparents all come from the Channel Island of Jersey, but prior to 1840 were deeply rooted in Hampshire.
    The unfortunate unpleasantness of the 1940's saw them leave their beloved island and come to England.

It was my great Uncle Edward Vibert who left Jersey with the cattle bound for Canada, and I can confirm that it is not just weeks alone at sea that made these animals look attractive.

I consider them to be the prettiest of all cows and consider it a privelidge to have been able to spend time with them..

Although I have spent many many years researching so many lines of our family history, there are times when I read posts on here and realise just how much I don't know.

So many things interest me that I guess I am, at times my own worst enemy.

Perhaps along the way I can help others and maybe even provide them with that little bit of enthusiasm that bridges the gap between pure genealogy and the history of our ancestors.

Thanks Ken, and thanks to all others who have taken the time to read this.

As I have said ad'nauseam, if we are not doing this for the benefit of those who come after us, then who the heck are we doing it for.

Regards and all the best for 2008

Peter Lawford. aka Peter_uk_can.

P.S when I first logged into the internet many years ago, I chose the nickname Peter_uk, because Peter was taken. I added the can, when I moved to Canada in 2002.

Last edited by Peter_uk_can; 03-01-2008 at 3:51 AM. Reason: Corrected words I spelt wrong and ignore those that were my best guess.

Hi Peter
    reading your other thread re the photo https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-of-1908-Photo. you say that Edward Vibert and his whereabouts after he left Jersey aged 13 still elude you?
    There is a 1911 census of St Jacques des Piles, Champlain, Canada for a Edward John Vybert born 1884 England with NG next to it. wife Eva and two sons age 3 and 1.
    I looked up Edward Vibert's baptism 5 Apr 1883 child of Edward and Ada Mary and he is Edward John.
    There are 5? trees on ancestry which has his wife as Eva De Langis and the son age 3 as John Edward Raymond Vibert born 1908 and the one year old as Laurent Eaymond Vibert. There are also two daughters Bessie and Liliane and two Private.
    Death of Edward John Vibert born 1883 as 27 July 1968 Montreal, Quebec.
    He is still a chef in 1921 at Edouard Vibert 37, Eva Vibert 30, Raymond Vibert 13, Bessy Vibert 9, Liliane 6,
    Jacqueline Vibert 3.
    Sorry if you already have all of this but thought I would mention it just in case.

S
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christanel. Thanks for your post. The first line in my older post, now I read it again, is somewhat misleading. I knew he lived at St Jacques des Piles and also traced him to Montreal. Not sure what happened in the family, but he is buried in a grave paid for by the Parish/Town, not sure how better to describe it.. It is and always has been a search for his Grandaughter.

Regards
    Peter

No problem Peter.
    Have you contacted any of the owners of the trees on ancestry who may know of his granddaughter?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast