Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Default Another (easy peasy) Competition

This is specifically for anyone with an interest in Norfolk - or collectors of Census CDs. The prize is the Complete 1901 Norfolk Census on CD.

To give you something to do over Christmas, this competition is open up to and including 31st December 2007. You can reply by PM (if you don't want to give away your answers) or direct to this thread.

Some questions are easy, some less so. You don't necessarily need to get all the answers - whoever makes the best effort wins.

I judge the answers, my decision is final - bribes are welcome and cash in brown envelopes should be left under my doormat.

20 questions in four blocks to follow:

Geoffers

1. What is that?
    a. What culinary delights are either floaters or sinkers?
    b. What is a dwile?
    c. What is a Stukey Blue?
    d. What is a hodmandod?
    e. What is a harnser?

2. Who was that?
    a. Who wrote The Boy John letters?
    b. What was the name of the tribe that inhabited Norfolk at the time of the Roman Invasion - extra points if you know what three letters often appear on their coins?
    c. Who was the artist who lived from 1782-1842 and was the son of a Norwich barber?
    d. Who was the Norwich printer whose work became an authority in Parliament?
    e. Who was the builder from Buxton, who built houses in London?

3. When was that?
    a. When did Horstead Mill burn down?
    b. When was Kett's rebellion?
    c. When was Will Kemp's 'Nine Day Wonder?'
    d. What year was Aylsham Navigation opened and what year was the flood that closed it?
    e. When did building on Norwich Cathedral start and when was it consecrated?

4. Where is that?
    a. Where is Windum?
    b. Name any five Hundreds in Norfolk
    c. Where is the 'Shrine of Our Lady', in Norfolk?
    d. Where is Snitterley?
    e. Where is the library of the Norfolk Family History Society? (Name the building).

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    I judge the answers, my decision is final - bribes are welcome and cash in brown envelopes should be left under my doormat.

20 questions in four blocks to follow:
    An A5 Manila envelope has been left under your door matt, by the way the answers are all "Norfolk"

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    I know the answer to the first question. It is dumplings made by my mother....and they were mostly sinkers!
    You were in the front there for a short while, but others have provided more answers!

But.......sinkers!..........everyone knows you should only eat floaters.........eating sinkers is a bit like opening your boiled egg at the wrong end

Davran

I LOVE dumplings, but no-one else in the house does, so I never make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    I know the answer to the first question. It is dumplings made by my mother....and they were mostly sinkers!
    You don't want to know what the first site was that Google came up with for this answer!

Seriously though, thanks to Geoffers for a good quiz. I managed to find the answers via Google despite the handicap of having ancestors without the nous to move past Essex and Suffolk. Indeed my memories of the Norfolk Broads consist mainly of a day trip from Colchester with twenty Egyptians in tow. One of them pointed to a mallard and said with great excitement. "Please my teacher, is this a penguin?" I suppose Norfolk is a bit cold if you come from Egypt
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    You don't want to know what the first site was that Google came up with for this answer!
    Stew?

Seriously though, thanks to Geoffers for a good quiz.
    I was thinking of doing it in dialect, but thought better of it - maybe another quiz sometime.

my memories of the Norfolk Broads consist mainly of a day trip from Colchester with twenty Egyptians in tow. One of them pointed to a mallard and said with great excitement. "Please my teacher, is this a penguin?" I suppose Norfolk is a bit cold if you come from Egypt
    I wonder if he/she would have recognised a harnser?

So far there are a couple of people who are out in joint first. If it stays that way, the winner will be drawn by lot. All the answers can be found if you know what to search for.

Spangle

I'll reply direct to the thread - hopefully if some of my answers are right they will help those who have more talent than me to get the lot of them.

1. Matzoh balls if you're Jewish (dumplings if you're from Norfolk)
    2. A dishcloth
    3 Cockles
    4 Snail
    5 Heron

Back later with some more...!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
    I'll reply direct to the thread - hopefully if some of my answers are right!
    No comment, but thanks for the interest. I hope you enjoy yourself trying to find the answers.

fare y'well tergerther

Here in Australia a floater is a pie placed upside down in a bowl of green pea soup. Who was the first person to try that and if by accident why would you repeat the experiment.
    Give me dumplings any day, by any name. True to my Lancashire youth.
    Christina

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast