Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ed Bradford

So how much would you expect to find in the envelope under the mat on your doorstep?

...............Ed

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
    I'll reply direct to the thread - hopefully if some of my answers are right they will help those who have more talent than me to get the lot of them.

1. Matzoh balls if you're Jewish (dumplings if you're from Norfolk)
    2. A dishcloth
    3 Cockles
    4 Snail
    5 Heron

Back later with some more...!
    Hi Spangle,
    Can I be a real killjoy and ask that you please don't post any more answers (right or wrong!) to the thread? If anyone wants to enter the competition the answers are fairly easily obtained from the web.
    (And yes I know Geoffers suggested posting answers to the thread, but as soon as I read it I thought Reckon he'd been drinking the alcohol instead of putting it in the Christmas cake. )
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford View Post
    So how much would expect to find in the envelope under the mat on your doorstep? Ed
    I remain open to offers - highest briber wins?!?!?

Unfortunately the organiser is sadly unable to return envelopes and contents.

keep a troshin' bor

Spangle

You're not a killjoy Pam and of course I shan't add any more (doubt if they're right anyhow!). I am currently busy trying to calm 2 daughters and search for flaming German ancestors in Dublin anyway!!!

Hope everyone enjoys the competition and good luck!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks Spangle - you're a star.
    I thought people had enough trouble searching for Irish ancestors anyway without throwing Germans into the pot, though Gunther Schnelldorfer should sort-of stand out in the middle of all the Paddy McGintys and Molly Malones!
    Pam

Geoffers

Just a reminder to everyone that this competition is still running - The complete 1901 Norfolk Census on CD being the prize. Good luck

Geoffers

For anyone new to the forums and after a copy of the 1901 census for Norfolk - there are still a few hours to go to get your answers in.

So far, four people have replied with correct answers - in the morning I will take one cricket ball for each person who has replied correctly and number them. I will put a single stump in the ground and get youngest son (Tim - right arm off-spin) to bowl at the stump off a full 22 yards - three goes with each ball to hit the stump, if there is a tie after three balls he will continue with sudden death.

Answers will posted tomorrow along with the winner.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    For anyone new to the forums and after a copy of the 1901 census for Norfolk - there are still a few hours to go to get your answers in.

So far, four people have replied with correct answers - in the morning I will take one cricket ball for each person who has replied correctly and number them. I will put a single stump in the ground and get youngest son (Tim - right arm off-spin) to bowl at the stump off a full 22 yards - three goes with each ball to hit the stump, if there is a tie after three balls he will continue with sudden death.

Answers will posted tomorrow along with the winner.
    What a novel idea Geoffers, and a good work out for your son!

Glenys

Geoffers

The competition is now closed. Four people got it all right and will go into the bowl off in the morning:

Pam Downes, Sue Mackay, Davran and Busyglen.

Sadly there will not be a commentary on Radio 4 longwave from the Test Match Special team, btu I may eat some chocolate cake anyway

The answers are:

1. What is that?
    a. What culinary delights are either floaters or sinkers?

Dumplings

b. What is a dwile?

A floor cloth

c. What is a Stukey Blue?

A Cockle, specifically from Stiffkey (Stukey)

d. What is a hodmandod?

A snail

e. What is a harnser?

A Heron, though I prefer the name harnser

2. Who was that?
    a. Who wrote The Boy John letters?

The late and great Sidney Grapes

b. What was the name of the tribe that inhabited Norfolk at the time of the Roman Invasion - extra points if you know what three letters often appear on their coins?

Eceni, or Iceni - the three letters being ECE

c. Who was the artist who lived from 1782-1842 and was the son of a Norwich barber?

John Sell Cotman

d. Who was the Norwich printer whose work became an authority in Parliament?

Luke Hansard

e. Who was the builder from Buxton, who built houses in London?

Thomas Cubitt

continued.......

Geoffers

3. When was that?
    a. When did Horstead Mill burn down?

23rd January 1963

b. When was Kett's rebellion?

c. When was Will Kemp's 'Nine Day Wonder?'

d. What year was Aylsham Navigation opened and what year was the flood that closed it?

Opened 1779, closed by flood 1912

e. When did building on Norwich Cathedral start and when was it consecrated?

1096 and 1101

4. Where is that?
    a. Where is Windum?

Wymondham

b. Name any five Hundreds in Norfolk

To save me typing, there's a full list here

c. Where is the 'Shrine of Our Lady', in Norfolk?

Walsingham

d. Where is Snitterley?

Blakeney now stands where Snitterley once stood - though perhaps more correctly, Snitterley was a little to the north and lost with time and changing coastline.

e. Where is the library of the Norfolk Family History Society? (Name the building).

Kirby Hall

Thanks to all who took part.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast