Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AnnB

You are more than welcome - glad to have helped. I have had a look and there do not appear to be any more Ridlers (with variations of spelling) in Tiverton in 1841.

In 1851 there were 3 Ridlers in Tiverton -
    William THORNE- Head- M- 70- M- Ag Lab Tiverton-Dev
    Jane THORNE- Wife- M- 68- F- Witheridge-Dev
    Mary RIDLER- Daur- W- 49- F- Crocombe-Dev
    Lusby Lane, Tiverton
    Census Place: Tiverton Tiverton, Devonshire
    HO/107/1889 Folio: 11 Page: 14

Harriet RIDLER- Paup- U- 26- F- Servant Morebath-Dev
    Mary Ann RIDLER- Paup- - 5- F- Tiverton-Dev
    "Tiverton Union Workhouse", Tiverton
    Tiverton Tiverton, Devonshire
    HO/107/1889 Folio: 359 Page: 11
    (taken from the LDS 3 Counties CD)

Don't suppose they are connected, but you never know

Best wishes
    Ann

Mark

Little surprise then in 1861, when Ancestry also indexes them as ARLAND.

from the image though

RG 9 / 379 / ED 10 folio 112 page 36 schedule
    2 South Street, Camberwell, Surrey
    Walter Acland, Head, Mar, 42, -, Carpenter & Joiner, Devnshire Exmouth
    Honor Acland, Wife, Mar, -, 52, Laundress, Somerset Brushford
    Honor Acland, Dau, Unm, -, 20, Servant, Devonshire Tiverton
    Elizabeth Acland, Dau, -, -, 17, Servant, Somerset Taunton
    Isabella Acland, Dau, -, -, 13, Scholar, Camberwell Surrey
    Ellen Acland, Dau, -, -, 10, Scholar, Camberwell Surrey
    Emma Annalls, Visitor, -, -, 5, -, Greenwich Kent

Mark

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Smile Crumbling walls!

Thanks Mark. I had actually found them on the 1861... but forgot to mention it when I was publicly rejoicing about having found them on the 1851. For this family the 1851 was the key as I had previously searched in vain on the 1861, but to know where Walter and Honor were born was a great help. Walter died in 1865... so I knew he should have been on the 1851 and 1861. It just took a while to find him! The 1851 also gave me the names of Walter and Honor's other children... and the 1841 has given the name of someone I assume to be Honor's mother!

I think the family must have all had really strong Devon accents. Acland must have been pronounced 'Arcland' or something like it. By the time of the 1901 census, Honor jnr had has married my great grandfather, Alfred Bell. Again I searched in vain for any mention of Honor Bell... but then found 'Arner' Bell. Must have been that accent again!

Default Update!

Well now... it seems that Walter Isaac ACLAND was born in Exmouth in 1819. He married Ann RIDLER at St George's Hanover Square (!) in 1840. They returned to Devon and their first child, Honor Ann Ridler ACLAND, was born in Tiverton in 1841. Their second child, Elizabeth Joan ACLAND was born in Taunton, Somerset in 1844. The family then seems to have moved to Camberwell, Surrey where three further children were born: Mary Ann (1846), Isabella (1848) and Ellen (1849).

Walter was a Carpenter. Quite why they moved around so much remains a mystery...

Now, if only I could find the record of Walter's birth in the Exmouth parish records and the names of his parents...

Can anyone help please?

AnnB

You might be interested to take a look at https://www.exmouth-guide.co.uk/history.htm It gives a pretty good potted history of Exmouth.

Best wishes
    Ann

Default Thanks!

Many thanks, Ann. What a fascinating site. It looks as though Walter left the town just as it was beginning to boom... which seems slightly strange as presumably there would have been plenty of work around for a carpenter at that time.

At some point I am going to have to make the trek from London to Devon in order to search the parish records. I gather one of Devon's oldest and most important families was the Acland Family. I can't imagine that Walter was part of that noble family... but the name isn't very common.

I think there's more to this mystery than meets the eye!

AnnB

There certainly were/are quite a lot of Ac(k)lands in Devon, and they were, as you say, an important family. Take a look at a couple more sites, if you haven't alrady seen them

https://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DCRS/Acland.html
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n....asp?FER=F2648

And you never know, you may well have a connection.......

Best wishes
    Ann

Thanks Ann... me thinks this needs to be a project for when I have a little more time on my hands than I have right now...!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,
    are you still interested in the Acland family etc. I have in my possession marriage certificate for a Honor Acland. My Maternal family
    come from Mortlake, which would make her my great great grandmother. I was wondering if this is just coincidence and look forward to your reply.
    Alkell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12