Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Part 3 of 3....

So, if the above valuations were used for the 1524 subsidy, then
    5 would be considered as paupers

7 had goods which were assessed, but their valuations would mean that they would not pay the subsidy

8 would pay the subsidy - the amount due from the valuation would be:

Ric HALLE - 5Pds 6s 8d for Goods and cattle
    Edmd LYNCOLNE - 2Pds 13s 4d for Goods and Cattle
    John PASTON - 1Pd 12s for Goods and Cattle
    Robt BURMAN - 1Pd 6s 8d for Goods and Cattle
    Willam NEWMAN - 1Pd 1s 4d for Goods and Cattle
    Thomas FELMYNGHAM - 16s for Goods and Cattle
    Henry HALLE - 3s 6d for Goods and Cattle

Hautbois Magna was a small parish so land holdings were also small and thus no one would pay tax on land on this valuation.

In 'Tudor and Stuart Norwich' by John Pound (publ Phillimore) on page 12 he writes "As a rough-and-ready guide, 1Pd worth of land may be equated with 30 acres, although obviously the value would vary according to the situation and quality of the land concerned". This would suggest that the total land assessed in Hautbois Magna was very roughly 230 acres.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks Geoffers for that very detailed reply.
    There's obviously a lot of work inolved in doing the analysis, but you end up with a very true and interesting picture of life in the village.
    I thought there might be a difference between goods and moveables but from the definition it seems the words mean basically the same thing.

Pam Downes

Bob Skinner

Default BAYSPOOLE Family

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Richest 25 individuals in goods and cattle/movables
    ...Raaf BAYSPOLE, at Coltishall, 40Pds
    I was pleased to see one of my BAYSPOOLE family listed on the site.

Perhaps I can take this opportunity to post my interest in the family of BAYSPOOLE (many spelling variations: BASPOLE BAISPOOL etc etc.), who seem to have originated in the Norfolk area, and lived in many of the parishes mainly in the east of the county until the 18th Century. A branch moved to Winchester, Hampshire in the late 18th Century, but the surname has completely died out now.

I am interested in any references or information to the surname.

Many thanks!

Bob Skinner

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Skinner
    I was pleased to see one of my BAYSPOOLE family listed on the site........I am interested in any references or information to the surname.
    If it helps, we have got 31 reference to the surname and variants on the Norfolk Transcription Archive
    https://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

NROCAT - the online catalogue for the Norfolk Record Office
    https://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/dservea/Index.htm
    also has a few.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Thanks Geoffers for that very detailed reply.
    There's obviously a lot of work inolved in doing the analysis, but you end up with a very true and interesting picture of life in the village.
    I thought there might be a difference between goods and moveables but from the definition it seems the words mean basically the same thing.
    Pam Downes
    When I get some spare tiem (ha ha), I intend to go through the entries for Aylsham and compare them against the 1597 susbidy and the Aylsham Rental (original doc in TNA E/315/360) which has been published by Aylsham Local History Society as "Aylsham in the Seventeenth Century" (Poppyland Publishing ISBN 0 946148 32 5). The idea being to see if any more informaton can be gleaned from these documents and ultimately is any further distinction can be made between the various types of goods assessed. If anythnig interesting comes out of it, I'll post a new thread here.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Bob Skinner

Default Bayspoole references

[QUOTE=Geoffers]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Skinner
    If it helps, we have got 31 reference to the surname and variants on the Norfolk Transcriptino Archive
    https://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

NROCAT - the online catalogue for the Norfolk Record Office
    https://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/dservea/Index.htm
    also has a few.
    Many thanks, Geoffers for pointing me in those directions- I believe I have already found those sources, but will check again. Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Bob Skinner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12