momikep

Default SHONE & HOLBROOK HANMER

Has anybody any info regarding Shone & Holbrook families in Hanmer 1800 - 1875 ish.

jac m

Default SHONE/HOLBROOK

Not sure if we're talking about the same family, but my family were Holbrook and from Whitchurch - not far from Hanmer - although I haven't managed to get as further back than 1895 yet.

I say my family were Holbrook, but to be honest we always knew them as the Shone family, and the Holbrook name didn't become apparent until we looked into it - I know from certificates that they were born as Holbrook but it would appear that in the early 1900s (before 1910 anyway) the whole family became Shone - they started including it as a middle name on the birth certificates of their children. The name Holbrook was just phased out and they lived and died under the name Shone - which is the name on their gravestones.

If you think this might be the same family, or you can shed any light on why adult married men would change their name from Holbrook to Shone we'd love to hear from you! The Holbrook/Shone link in your post was just too coincidental to ignore.....

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default SHONE & HOLBROOK

I'm not related to these families.

Just want to know if any SHONE migrated to Sth Rhodesia SA.

Is SHONE a popular surname.

Thanks.

Karen Holbrook

Hello
    My grandfather was Frank Shone Holbrook from Whitchurch. I believe he was born in around 1914. This discrepancy over his name has always been a mystery to us too! His birth certificate shows both names but he was known as Frank Holbrook. However, his Mother and twin brother were known as Shone. He never discussed with us why this was so and would get quite cross when asked. I have always wanted to find out more about this and have assumed it was because of some family scandal.

I notice your post dates back to 2008 and wonder if you have managed to find out more? I am amazed that at last I have found someone with the same question as me, and all of the details tie into mine.

KH

momikep

Default SHONE HOLBROOK

Karen
    If you go to my website at - https://myweb.
    tiscali.co.uk/pottsjaggardfamily/ you will see facts about the Holbrooks.
    I have more info that is not online.
    If you send me your email address via my website then we can email easier.
    mike

jac m

Hi Karen
    I've sent you an email!

Jac m