Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    louise ydw i

Question WW1? met office? old photo need dating. uniform??

This photograph was found behind another photo which had been in a frame for a couple of decades. It was behind a family portrait of William H Ivins and Alice Morgan that was taken about 1912. My grandfather remembers the family photo been hung on the wall of his parents house for years but he had no idea of this photo or who they all? We're thinking its to do with the RAF but it has a sign about the meteorological office stores? Completely baffles me. Any clues anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by louise ydw i View Post
    This photograph was found behind another photo which had been in a frame for a couple of decades. It was behind a family portrait of William H Ivins and Alice Morgan that was taken about 1912. My grandfather remembers the family photo been hung on the wall of his parents house for years but he had no idea of this photo or who they all? We're thinking its to do with the RAF but it has a sign about the meteorological office stores? Completely baffles me. Any clues anyone?
    Members of the met office were either seconded in to the RAF during WWII. I sure MikeE will agree with this, currently when on detachment to RAF bases overseas, they wear RAF officer uniform.
    Check out https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/history/

Geoffers

The notice looks to have GR written on it, presumably George VI??, which narrows things down to 1938-52.

I cannot make out what the board says, can you read it on the original photo? Does it give any clues?

The uniforms are different.
    The 2 officers are aircrew (ex).
    The Warrant Officer look like he has wrong cap badge or when did they change?
    The one on the left with the book infornt of him has a old 'good conduct' stripe.
    The back centre in uniform as new style of rank (Leading aircraftsman) and signaller insigna.

And they seem to be sitting on sand?

Any details from the book would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    The back centre in uniform as new style of rank (Leading aircraftsman) and signaller insigna.
    Leading Aircraftsman.
    "Introduced in 1918 as a trade classification having no disciplinary powers over lower tradesmen. It became a part of the RAF 'supervisory' rank structure on 1 January 1951."

The WO, if his badge is just a crown, which is what it looks like to me, then this was Introduced in 1918 for all trades. Discontinued in 1939, and replaced by a large badge.

But this guy is also wearing a trade badge, like I wore, but I don't know when this was introduced.

The chap on the left looks like he is a Civilian Volunteer, they were know to be issued with RAF Uniform, but with black bakelite buttons, and the cap badge was different, CTC (civilian tech corps) ? Don't think these have anything to do with the met Office, I think they worked in "Ground Radio" the people who looked after the Radar and Communications equipment used on Airfields.
    Last edited by Mike_E; 02-12-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: adding the CTC bit

louise ydw i

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post

I cannot make out what the board says, can you read it on the original photo? Does it give any clues?
    Cannot read anything on the board. This is actually showing the picture better if anything. The 'sand' bit is odd. I did think they were pictured overseas. But why would someone put a photograph like this behind another? It wouldnt be so difficult if I knew anyone in the picture. But my grandfather and an elderly aunt dont know either. Is there any where on the web where I can post it for other to see?

Thanks for all your info

louise ydw i

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    The notice looks to have GR written on it, presumably George VI??, which narrows things down to 1938-52.
    What about the reign of George V? 1910-1936?

What about the reign of George V? 1910-1936?
    I much prefer Geoffers idea of 38-52, given the number or medal ribbons the chap in the centre is wearing. Anyone agree with that?

I'm sure I've seen that chap in the middle with the helmet on before. Don't know if it was in an RAF news in the early 80's. I've also seen a few of those silly hats too, we had one on the Sqn at Wattisham, it had a blue flashing light on it.

You might want to send it off ( electronic version) to the RAF, they might print it in the RAF News and you might get some results from that.

louise ydw i

Thanks Mike. WW2 then! I've just sent it to the RAF association so fingers crossed, they'll be able do something with it.

Davran

But why would someone put a photograph like this behind another?

Maybe they bought the framed photo to use the frame and didn't bother to remove the old photo? Very frustrating for you. We have several old photos from WWI with no idea of who's in them - all to do with my husband's grandfather, who died in 1981.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast