Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Louise
    Is there anything on the back of the photograph?
    Normally RAF photographs are stamped with location, date etc.
    If there is no stamp, it might not be an official, but one taken by a member of the group or colleague. With the 'unofficial' headgear, I guess it might not be, but seeing some of the official ones I have been in, it could well be, you never know.
    Neil

Mutley

Just a silly thought but are you sure the sign reads
    "Meteorological office" stores. The hat obscures the beginning of the word.

This link in an online dictionary gives words ending in
    "ological"

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/e/ological+

There are loads, you have mentioned sand, what about Egyptological?

Our forces were in Egypt. There are many other possibilities
    Last edited by Mutley; 02-12-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add link!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Just a silly thought but are you sure the sign reads
    "Meteorological office" stores. The hat obscures the beginning of the word.
    Mutt - Trust Mike and me on this one, us ex RAF people think we know a bit about the working of the skies or more importantly, what buildings on the ground were we could get a cuppa. Anyway, didn't you use a Met Office when you were trying to 'catch that crazy pigeon'

louise ydw i

The board on the floor definitely reads 'Meteorological Stores'. The photograph is actually glued onto a board, a bit like a mount with a frame. I have attempted to peel it off but it would only rip so I have no idea whats on the back. Nothing is written on the back of the board either.

Whats that about a pigeon?!

Quote Originally Posted by louise ydw i View Post
    Whats that about a pigeon?!
    Joke - about the cartoon and Dastardy and Mutley never catching the pigeon.

Mutley

With the amount of London villians I seem to have in my lot I avoid, whenever possible, any mention of 'The Met.'

Pigeons ???

"Mutley, you snickering, floppy eared hound.
    When courage is needed, you're never around.
    Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest
    Should be there for bungling at which you are best."

That's me
    Last edited by Mutley; 06-12-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Sorry Louise, threads often change course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    With the amount of London villians I seem to have in my lot I avoid, whenever possible, any mention of 'The Met.'

I will mention your name when I see a Met man (PC Plod)tonight.

Peter_uk_can

I have been asking around about this photograph. I love old photo mysteries..

The rectangular white things are quite possibly Cartographers rulers, which would be used with the Meteorology. The details of the uniforms seems to place it at some time after about 1922, but again opinions differ but it seems that is is more likely to be post WW1 because of the design of the RAF uniform.

The man to the right in civvies, is wearing a white hat, which is thought to be in keeping with perhaps an Eastern or African location. Somewhere warm anyway. Apparently there is also a lack of turnups on the trousers which I was told was quite common for soldiers in far eastern postings because of the sand and dust.

The gentleman seated in the centre certainly has a far eastern look about him. His "helmet" has an antenna on the top and there are electrical leads hanging down.

One suggestion has been something to do with the link between meteorology and either field guns or anti aircraft guns. This may explain why there are RAF and Army personel.

If anything further comes my way I will be only too pleased to pass it on.

A fountain of knowledge

I wonder how you got on with the photo?

I don't know anything at all about RAF uniforms, or badges, medals, hats or meteorological instruments. My two bob's worth concerns the mountboard of the photo, which is an early style (is it grey?) which would be pre-war (WW2). The other salient feature is the double-breasted jacket and the tall-crowned hat and wide hatband on the civilian - 1930s for my money.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by louise ydw i View Post
    This photograph was found behind another photo which had been in a frame for a couple of decades. It was behind a family portrait of William H Ivins and Alice Morgan that was taken about 1912. My grandfather remembers the family photo been hung on the wall of his parents house for years but he had no idea of this photo or who they all? We're thinking its to do with the RAF but it has a sign about the meteorological office stores? Completely baffles me. Any clues anyone?
    Hello,

I saw this old post and the photo I am told is 1925 in Abu Sueir in Egypt. The gentleman in the middle with a funny hat is Herbert Seaton Broughall. In WW1 Seaton served with the ASC and the Royal Sussex Regiment and won the MC. He transferred to the RNAS and was shot down over Germany and held prisoner for two years. He also served in WW2 in the RAF. I hope this helps and I will send this picture to his family in Canada. Lauren

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast