Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    orchidman999

Cool Surname "Bone" in Medstead Hants.

I think Hampshire was the County of Southampton in some Victrian days.
    My wife is related to the Bone families in Medstead, near Alton, Hants.
    I have post 1837 information on the families but would like to know about the Bone families in Medstead or nearby, pre-1837 , if possible please.

The last 'Bone' information I have is for Daniel Bone, Born 1833, Christened 20 Oct. 1833, married Sarah Collis 15 Oct. 1857; Occupation Journeyman Blacksmith. Sons William Arthur, Albert and Edward.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Fowler, Four Marks, nr. Alton, Hants.

Out of interest when did the County of Hampshire come into being and does it have an official crest? Need the crest for another project.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 27-11-2007 at 6:31 PM. Reason: *** instead of letters

Knowledgeable and helpful

Peter

if you use Google or another search engine and type in "Hampshire" and Enter, then go to Images (over the search box) and go through them, you will find the Hampshire flag which includes the crest. You'll probably find the crest by itself if you log onto the HCC site.

good luck
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman999 View Post
    would like to know about the Bone families in Medstead or nearby, pre-1837
    Then you want Hampshire Record Office in Winchester - nice easy trip for you

Oh dear - you had better check their website first - "temporary arrangements"

Wirral

Looks like the BONE family had the horse trade sewn up! In the 1841 census in Medsted there are Daniel & his parents (father William was a Blacksmith); uncle Richard - a veterinary surgeon; cousin Richard - another vet surgeon; Edward Bone - a Tallow C(chandler?); grandmother Elizabeth. In the 1851 census, one of the family is described as a horse leech - ie a vet.
    The family seemd to stay put for a while, as they are listed in the IGI back to at least the 18thC.

waspexile

There are quite a lot of "old Bones" (if you pardon the pun) in that part of Hampshire. Every time I have looked up various parts of my family a Bone or two always seems to pop up.

Mahala

Quote Originally Posted by waspexile View Post
    There are quite a lot of "old Bones" (if you pardon the pun) in that part of Hampshire. Every time I have looked up various parts of my family a Bone or two always seems to pop up.

I also have old Bones in my tree: James (a blacksmith) and Jane Bone, and their sons James and William bap. in Empshott in 1784 and 1787. I don't know if there's any connection to the Medstead Bones!

atrebatus

Post Bones in Medstead, Wield, Ropley etc

Hello -- I'm new to this forum stuff, so please treat me gently.
    A brilliant place to find "Bone" is on

wanderingbritai.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=wanderingbritai&view=9&rand=12650952 9

which is a site by a nice lady called Judy Adams -- look under the "people" tab.

Funny enough I was in Ropley today finishing the clearing of my dear old mum's house. She often used to wave to old Sid Bone as he cycled past down Gascoigne Lane !
    Last edited by atrebatus; 11-08-2008 at 8:11 PM. Reason: typo

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman999 View Post
    I think Hampshire was the County of Southampton in some Victrian days.

I think you've got something there. On a copy of a birth certificate, the county is listed as Southampton when the town is Winchester. I can't find another Winchester anywhere but Hampshire.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman999
    I think Hampshire was the County of Southampton in some Victorian days................Out of interest when did the County of Hampshire come into being and does it have an official crest? Need the crest for another project.
    It had sort of been the county of Southampton for a lot longer.

The original settlement was called Hamwic and being a large settlement and trading port gave its name to the surrounding area by the middle Saxon period (8th century) - The surrounding area (county) was known as Hamtunscire ('sc' approximates to modern 'sh') - what we would call Hampshire.

Hamwic stood on the west bank of the Itchen. As happens with things, a newer settlement developed just to the south - more at the confluence of the Test and the Itchen (presumably a better location for whatever reason) and became known as Southampton. It grew and expanded to take in the old settlement of Hamwic

atrebatus

Hi all, I was born in Upper Wield in 1949. My birth cert says "County of Southampton". Vernon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast