Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotter family

sheryles

Default Trotter family

Hi I'm wondering if somebody could give me a helping hand, with my trotter
    I have a John William Trotter born 1810 Cathness,this is all I no about him.
    he possiably had a brother Robert Thomas Trotter.
    would be most greatful for any help .thank you sheryl

The only John Trotter I can find in the Caithness baptisms at that time is a John McKenzie Trotter b 5 June 1810 and baptised 14 June 1810, son of Alexander Trotter and Jane Sinclair. Trotter is not a very Highland name, but there are lots of Trotters in the border counties of Berwick, Roxburgh, Selkirk in Scotland and Northumberland in England. The breed of Cheviot sheep was imported to the Highlands at the end of the 18th century and many shepherds migrated north from the Borders. Where did you get the information from that John William was born in Caithness in 1810? Was it from a census somewhere?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

sheryles

Default TROTTER

Thanks Sue, I was told the information by another reseacher, but I think it is wrong, I was in Melbourne at the state libaury today for a short while, I had enough time to look up some shipping, I found a John Trotter and his wife Maria arriving here in Australia in 1841, he was aged 27 and she was 18. its hard to read as the micro fiche is very worn .Native Place: Co South or Co Louth. any clues as to were that might be?would be most greatful for any clues. thanks for your time sheryl

Quote Originally Posted by sheryles View Post
    Native Place: Co South or Co Louth. any clues as to were that might be?
    Well it could be Co(unty) Suth(erland), which is next to Caithness. Or of course there is a County Louth in Ireland!!
    Sue Mackay

sheryles

Default trotter

thanks sue most great ful to you sheryl

tilly trotter

William Sinclair Trotter came to NZ in March 1840, was born May 1816, son of Alexander Trotter and Jane Sinclair who lived near John O' Groats, Caithness. I am thinking John is a brother to William.

tesahria

Default re trotter family

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The only John Trotter I can find in the Caithness baptisms at that time is a John McKenzie Trotter b 5 June 1810 and baptised 14 June 1810, son of Alexander Trotter and Jane Sinclair. Trotter is not a very Highland name, but there are lots of Trotters in the border counties of Berwick, Roxburgh, Selkirk in Scotland and Northumberland in England. The breed of Cheviot sheep was imported to the Highlands at the end of the 18th century and many shepherds migrated north from the Borders. Where did you get the information from that John William was born in Caithness in 1810? Was it from a census somewhere?
    hi you may be interested to know that I am a direct descendant living in New-Zealand, of Alexander trotter and Jane Sinclair through their son William Sinclair Trotter. I have a book that a new-Zealand relative wrote regarding this family so if you want any info I am more than willing to share what I know about my family including the different branches. Any thing you have regarding this family would be handy especially regarding the parentage and family of Jane sinclair. I believe that the John in this family is as you say John Mckenzie Trotter, , my info relates that it is persumed that because there is no futher info found that he and a sister died early in life. Thanks Enjoy your day, evening where ever you are.
    Last edited by christanel; 10-01-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: to add John Mckenzies trotters birthdate of 5th June 1810

tesahria

Quote Originally Posted by tilly trotter View Post
    William Sinclair Trotter came to NZ in March 1840, was born May 1816, son of Alexander Trotter and Jane Sinclair who lived near John O' Groats, Caithness. I am thinking John is a brother to William.
    just found your post and wonder if you are a related trotter if so I would like to make contact with you, William Sinclair is my Maternal Great great grandfather through Dr Ninian George Doctor who resided and worked as a Doctor in Riverton Southland New-Zealand. We could exchange our information I am particularly interested in finding the names of great grandads children he had with Elizabeth Sarah Goodwin.

Hallo tesahria, and a very warm welcome to BG. Tilly hasn't visited the forum for some while, but hopefully your post will have triggered an e-mail alert to her. You might also like to try clicking on her username and sending her a private message.

Meanwhile, now you are here, have a good look round the rest of the forum.

BTW, I don't have any Trotter connections, but I do descend from Caithness Sinclairs - don't we all?
    Sue Mackay

tesahria

Default re trotter family

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    hi thanks for info You ask where I got info from regarding John Trotter - The John Mckenzie Trotter you have found the son of Alexander Trotter and Jane Sinclair is my relation with Alexander and jane trotter being my gggrandparents. This info is gleaned from a family written book giving the trotter,s history - My ggggrandparents came from Longformicus of the Boarderman with Alexander shepherding the sheep with sir john sinclair to John O,groats. and settling there. I do not know any thing of John William this I am unaware of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast