Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brian Turnbull

Default Birth records- Banagher

My great grandmother, Mary Ann Tiquin (Tyquin) was married in Australia in 1872, and said she was from Banagher, Kings County the daughter of Pat Tiquin a blacksmith and Mary Ann Madden. At marriage she said she was 21, but I think she fibbed to overcome getting approval because subsequent certificates suggest her age may have been 16, giving a birth year of around 1856. I believe many Irish records have been destroyed, but wonder if anyone can tell me where I could look for a birth record.

Brian

locallad27

irishmidlandsancestry.com might be able to assist.
    (a little story about Tiquin name)
    Shinrone in the Tithe War'
    in 1837 the owner of a local mill, Mr. Thomas Tiquin, was prosecuted for refusing to pay tithes totalling, one pound, twelve shillings and eight pence.
    Although defended by the eminent Q.C Mr. Rolleston of Glasshouse, Tiquin lost his case, was arrested and confined in the barracks in Shinrone,
    before being transferred to Dublin's Newgate prison (now known as Kilmainham) where despite being " one of the finest young men in the Kilg's County,
    upward of six foot, two inches in height, and the idol of his neighbourhood" he died, suddenly after his imprisonment.
    Daniel O Connell and the Catholic Association, realising the indignation which the trial and death of Tiquin had aroused could be used to bring more pressure on the Government to abolish the Tithes, were determined to milk the funeral for all it was worth.
    The coffin, borne in a plain hearse drawn by four black-plumed horses bearng placards that read " Funeral of Mr. Thomas Tiquin of Shinrone, in King's County, who died Thursday 30th May 1837, while under imprisonment in the Four Courts, Marshalsea, Dublin, for the Tithes". It took 3 days to cross the country, stopping in Kildare, Mountrath and Roscrea. Thousands of people followed the cortege on foot, on horseback and in cars, carriages and gigs. it was 3 o clock on Sunday when the funeral reached it's family burial ground in Banagher, where Tiquin was laid in his grave.
    It's estimated the 200,000 people took part in the funeral.
    Tithes were abolished the following year and Tiquin was known as "The Last Tithe Martyr".

locallad27

Joe Tiquin Lusmagh, Banagher
    Died; 2/12/2009
    Wife; Toni.
    Interred in Kilmahunna cemetery.
    (Message left of condolence)
    On behalf of the South African branch of the family.
    I am attempting to bridge the gap between the South Afrian branch and those elsewhere,
    please contact me at
    duane AT reefprop DOT co DOT za
    Duane Tiquin

locallad27

Offaly War Dead

Tiquin/Tinquinn Daniel
    Rank; Pte.
    Regiment or Service; Leinster Regiment
    Unit; 2nd Battalion
    Died; 16/6/1918 Died of wounds.
    Born; Killoughey, Offaly.

Brian Turnbull

locallad27, thanks for your information. I have no idea if my Mary Ann is connected. The only information I have on her is as posted with the exception that she arrived in Queensland (Morton Bay) "Indus", on 1st July 1872 age 16. The ship left London on 10 April 1872, but I guess this was a stop off on the journey.

Brian

locallad27

1901 census for Ireland now on-line from today.
    https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

yodabean6

Brian Turnbull, I might have some answers for you. I just happened upon this website and saw your request for info regarding Pat & Mary Tyquin. Patrick Tyquin is my great, great grandfather from Banagher, Kings County, Offaly. He was born in 1810 and married "Mary Gannon (Slemen)", as listed on my family tree. Mary Gannon lived in Ballyboy, then Garrycastle. Patrick Tyquin died in 1886. They had 9 children; Patrick, Mary Anne (likely your grandmother), Michael, Thomas, Catherine, Bridget, Eliza, Daniel, Francis (my great grandfather) he became the town blacksmith after his father. I have birthdates for all except Mary Anne. the family tree states she was married to a "Conroy". There is no information if she she went to Australia. The extensive family history that I have was given to me by Lawrie Tyquin from Victoria, Australia who was a descendant of James & Martin Tyquin Brother of Patrick. I have noticed that you were given information on Thomas Tyquin wo was Patrick's brother as well. I hope this helps if you would like more information let me know I will try to help.

Brian Turnbull

Yodabean6, Thank you for your reply. i wiil post the information I have for you to compare: parents information I obtained from Mary Ann's marriage certificate which may need to be taken with a grain of salt. To be charitable I must say that where she was married in outback Queensland and in an outback pub, the Irish accent may not have been familiar and since both Mary and her husband were illiterate, they would not be of much help to the person recording the details.
    Parents: Patrick Tyquin, blacksmith, Banagher,Offaly,Mary Ann Gannon,Banagher,Offaly.
    Married: 6 Dec 1872, Ruby Creek near Stanthorp Queensland to William James Robinson from Enniskillen, Fermsnagh.His father Richard Robinson was a publican.
    Children of Patrick and Mary Ann Gannon: John b. abt(.1846), Banagher. Catherine b. Abt. (1848), Banagher. Patt b. Abt.( 1851) Birr,Offaly. Mary Ann b. Abt (1853) Banagher,Offaly.d(.25 Oct 1912) Broken Hill.N.S.W. Australia.Michael b.(1855) Eglish, Armagh,Thomas(b)Abt.(1856),Eglish, Armagh. Catherine b. (1858) Eglish, Armargh. Bridget b. Abt. (1860),Eglish, Armagh. Eliza b. Abt. (1861) Birr,Offaly. Daniel b. Abt. (1864) Banagher, Offaly.Frances b. Abt (1867) Banagher,Offally.
    Note: There are various spellings of Mary Ann Gannon's name in the baptismal records, but Gannon is the one most often used. Patt Tyquin's surname on the register is Tyqell. Bridgett's surname on the register is Slamon. Eliza's surname on register is Tyguin and her father's surname is given as Patt
    Brian Turnbull. Patrick and Mary Ann are my maternal second great grandparents.

Brian Turnbull

Yodabean6 , I would be interested in the brothers and parents of Patrick Tyquin. I can give you my private email address in "private messages" if you wish.
    Brian

Brian Turnbull

Yodabean6, in your post earlier you mentioned that Patrick Tiquin was born in 1810, however the 1901 census for Ireland states his age as 80 making his birth year about 1821. Also the Roman Catholic baptism registers for Banagher, are not available before 1811. His eldest child, John was baptised in 1846, so Patrick would have been about 25 at the baptism which seems reasonable.
    Brian

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast