Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    robertvkenny

On Lawrie Tiquin's family tree which he gave to my mother in 1990s, the Patrick Tiquin born in 1810, is listed as dead in 1886, so could not have appeared in the 1901 census. But I think Lawrie may have confused two people.....
    The 1901 census for Pallas, Killoughy, lists Patrick as aged 80 and his wife Mary as 81; but they also have a SIXTY-YEAR-OLD son, John, living with them, which means they would have married when Patrick was barely twenty, most unusual for Ireland at that time. Any further info please? Robert Kenny (great great grandson of Patrick and Mary)

robertvkenny

Yes, I'm sure you are right. James's father Martin was Thomas Tiquin's brother. In fact the account of the tithe martyr's funeral mentions Thomas Tiquin's brothers, so he had more than one. The third brother would seem to be Patrick.

dr.khenn

Default Tiquins of Banagher

RobertVKenny: On my chart I have Martin Tyquin b. c. 1775, who was said to be from Knocknahorna, which translates into Pound Hill, with three sons: Thomas (tythe martyr) b. c. 1795, Martin Tiquin (my ggggrandfather b c. 1801), and Patrick Tiquin b. c. 1810. This Patrick has a son John b. 1846. (There was John Tiquin who immigrated to Sidney Australia in June 1883). So neither would show up in 1901 Census material for Ireland. It might help to find an obit for Patrick in April 1886. The dates here are possible but it is indeed confusing as the Tiquins seem to particulary favor Martin, Patrick, & Thomas in all their generations and they have such big families that a single family spans over some significant time. At times uncles can be younger than their nephews. I also have material from Lawrie Tiquin and told him at the time that I thought there was some generational overlapping on the chart. He recognized a problem but I never heard that he has a resolution to it. It would also be helpful if we could get the council or whoever keeps the records for All Saints Cemetery to give us a list ot the Tiquins buried there as many do not have grave markers. I can place you and some siblings on my family tree using the above listing for Patrick, b. 1801 but I am much more confident about information for my direct grandparents. Also there is a Michael Tyquin b. c. 1857 in Eglish who is a prisoner in Tullamore in 1890. His residence was given as BlueBall which of course is close by Banagher and I know Tiquins were frequent tavern customers in BlueBall. His offense was being absent from militia training.

locallad27

A headstone in Banagher graveyard;
    ---
    Tommie Tiquin
    Blue Ball
    17/4/1968
    also his brothers Patrick & Frank.
    -------------
    Jack

dr.khenn

Default Tommie Tiquin

Thank you Local Lad for this Tiquin sighting.
    The last time I spent talking to folks in BlueBall...somewhere around 2008…they told me that Joe Tiquin was the last Tiquin in the area. So I gather that Tommie, Patrick, and Frank had no male descendants. When I was in the area again in 2011 I went out to Lusmagha cemetery to pay my respects to the “last Tiquin,” Joe (d. Dec 2, 2009). I would be happy to put Tommie, Patrick and Frank on my Tiquin tree…and I am sure that all Tiquins are related … but where do they belong???
    I have the following Thomas Tiquins already:
    b. c. 1795 – d. May 30, 1837, the Martyr
    b. c.1829 – d. Nov 24, 1892 New York State (my gggrandfather)
    b. Nov. 7, 1856, Eglish, son of Patrick and Mary Gannon
    b. March 19,1863 – d. Jan 15, 1943 NY Son of Thomas b. 1829, brother of my ggrandfather
    b, c. Sept 1876 – d. ? son of Patrick (1851) and Catherine Tierney in Offaly
    b. c. 1921 – d. 2005 Banagher. son of Patrick (b. May 28, 1894) and Unknown, father of Joe.
    This Thomas is a grandson of Francis Tiquin and Bridget Buckley
    b.? – d ?, son of Michael (b. c. 1898) and Bridget Mitchell in Offaly
    They have a son Patrick but I don’t see a Frank.

I have the following Thomas Tyquins ( Ty = Australian branch, descendents of James Tiquin and Mary Croake)
    b. Aug 19, 1862 – June 4, 1934 Son of James and Mary Croake
    b. Oct 17, 1988
    b. Sept 23, 1994

I know there are more Thomases around the world but these are the ones I can actually connect to my tree which starts with Martin, b. c. 1775 so any help will be appreciated.
    I am also a descendant of Thomas O’Shea and Mary O’Brien from Gortagarry, Tipperary…my grandfather Tiquin married a grandchild of Thomas O’Shea in NY State.
    K

Pardy57

Hi Brian/all, I'm new to this forum but my interest in Tiquin is my gggrandmother and Eliza Tiquin married a Michael Pardy. My grandfather always said that Eliza was the brother of Patrick & Thomas "The Last Tithe Martyr". I have all Eliza's descendants and some info. regarding her sisters Anne & Marie. If anybody wants any info I have email pardy AT eircom DOT net. Kieran

Pardy57

Hi Robert, Eliza Pardy is my gggrandmother, married to Michael Pardy and moved to Lawrencetown around 1850. Eliza was a sister of Thomas and Patrick. She also had another sister, Mary Rose, who married John Moylan, Pat Moylan's ggrandmother. Its seems your in a lot closer company than you thought??

Pardy57

Quote Originally Posted by Pardy57 View Post
    Hi Robert, Eliza Pardy is my gggrandmother, married to Michael Pardy and moved to Lawrencetown around 1850. Eliza was a sister of Thomas and Patrick. She also had another sister, Mary Rose, who married John Moylan, Pat Moylan's ggrandmother. Its seems your in a lot closer company than you thought??
    Sorry Robert, All. My post above is incorrect. Mary Rose is a sister of Michael Pardy and Pat Moylan's ggrandmother i.e the Moylans and the Tiquins are not related directly but the Pardys are related to both.

dr.khenn

Default Tiquin-Graham

I have only one Pardy on my list and she is Molly Pardy whose mother is listed as Elizabeth maybe Connelly, b. 1892 and buried in All Saints, Banagher 1912. Eliza is a favorite Tiquin name apparently. I would like the information on this Pardy line if possible. Meanwhile I have discovered another Tiquin in New York State who appears to be related to the Martin Tiquin line. Can anyone give me help on Mary Tiquin who married Martin Graham? Here is what I have so far:

THE TIQUIN - GRAHAM'S

More distant relatives named in Bridget Tiquin Conley's obituary, in 1923: People listed here appear to be all her nieces and nephews, children of Tiquins. Among the list are the Graham's: Mrs. John M. Graham of Brooklyn, NY, Mrs. Patrick Failey, (nee Elizabeth Graham), and Miss Jennie Graham of Utica, NY

Martin and Mary Tiquin Graham from Ireland to USA (Utica)
    Three Known Children

I. John Graham

1880 Census Brooklyn, Kings County, USA
    John Graham 1852 28 b. NY parents b. Ireland
    Julia Graham 1855 25 b. NY parents b. Ireland
    Martin Graham son 1874 b. NY

1900 Census, Brooklyn, Kings County, USA
    John M. Graham, b. Jan 1851 in NY (lived in Brooklyn)
    wife = Julia A., b. July 1852, NY, parents b. Ire. Married in 1872, had 1 child/has one living child
    son = Martin Graham, b. 1874 , NY, (Served in Spanish American War)

Obit: 1908 Thursday Evening, February 6, 1908 Utica Herald Dispatch
    John M. Graham
    At his home in Brooklyn last week occurred the death of John M. Graham, a former resident of this city. He was buried from St. Peter's Church in Brooklyn and his remains were interred in Holy Cross Cemetery, Flatbush. Mr. Graham was born in Utica 54 years ago. He left here at the age of 13 years to make his own way in the world. Before leaving here he served as an altar boy at St. John's and St. Agnes's Churches. For the past ten years Mr. Graham was superintendant of a sewer construction plant in the borough of Queens, New York. He was a member of the Third Assembly District Democratic Association and a number of other Brooklyn organizations. He leaves a widow and one son, Martin Graham of Brooklyn; also two sisters Miss Jennie Graham and Mrs. Elizabeth Failey, both of this city. Among those from this city attending the funeral were A. B. McDonald and mother.

Comment: A. B. McDonald: Probably this is Archibald B. McDaniels and his mother Margaret Conley, a dgt of Catherine Tiquin, (Mrs. John Conley), b. 1823 in Ireland, (Margaret Conley: grandfather = Martin Tiquin, b.1801, grandmother = Bridget Ferns, Knocknahorna, Offaly).

Obit: 1908, February 6, Utica Daily Press,
    Death of former resident
    John M. Graham, a former resident of this city, died last week at his home 236 Baltic St. Brooklyn, and his remains were interred in Holy Cross Cemetery, Flatbush.
    Mr. Graham was born in Utica about 54 years ago. (1853) His parents died when he was a child and he left here at the age of 13 to make his own way in the world. Before leaving here he was an altar boy at St. John's and St. Agnes Churches. For the past 10 years Mr Graham was superintendant of a sewer construction plant in the borough of Queens NY. He was a member of the Third Assembly District Democratic Association and a number of other Brooklyn organizaitons.
    He leaves a widow and one son Martin of Brooklyn and two sisters Miss Jennie Graham and Mrs. Elizabeth (Patrick) Failey both of this city. Among those from this city attending the funeral were A. B. McDonald and mother.

NY Herald 1898 Sunday, May 29, Fourteenth men complain
    Fourteenth men are not having proper treatment at Chickamauga judging by the letters from some of them received by their friends in Brooklyn. Martin Graham one of the soldiers informs his father, John M. Graham, of No. 62 Cheever Place under the date of May 22 that the regiment is being "treated like dogs" and some are threatening to desert if there isn't a change. A day's rations are two crackers. Colonel Grant is said to have discovered some "monkeying" in the Commissary Dept.

II. Miss Jennie Graham:
    (There is a Jennie A. Graham, b. 1859, b. USA on the 1892 Census, Hunter, Green County, NY, USA)

1940 Census Ward 10, Utica, Oneida County, NY, USA
    Jennie Graham, 80, b. c. 1860, NY, Single, Lodger with Kathryn A. Harding, 73, NY and her sister, Rose M. Harding, 63, NY

1930 Census Utica, Oneida County, NY, USA
    Employee/Servant: Jenny Graham, 68, b. c. 1861, NY, Single, Father b. England, Mother b. Ireland
    in home of Kathryn A. Harding, 52, NY
    and her sister: Rose Harding, 50, NY
    and two lodgers

Note: Obit 1942 Tuesday, March 10, 1942 Utica Daily Press
    Miss Jennie Graham died March 9, 1942 at the home of Miss Katherine and Miss Rose Harding at 408 Mary St. where she had lived for a number of years. Death followed a long illness. Miss Graham was a daughter of the late Martin and Mary Tiquin Graham. She was a member of St. John's Church and active in the Altar Society and other church groups. She was educated in local schools. There were no immediate survivors.

III. Elizabeth Graham (Mrs. Patrick Failey)
    Elizabeth Graham (Mrs. Patrick Failey) b. c. 1863 Husband served in Spanish American War
    has dgt M. Edna Failey, b. c. 1886
    has son Patrick Henry Failey 1894

1910 Census: Utica Ward 8, Oneida County, NY, USA
    Elizabeth Failey, 47, b.c, 1863, NY, widowed, Parents born in Ireland
    dgt: M. Edna Failey, 26, b. NY
    son: Harry Failey, 16, b. NY

1920 Census: Utica, Ward 8, Oneida County, NY, USA
    Elizabeth Failey, 56, b.c. 1864 NY, Parents born in Ireland, Widow
    Dgt: Edna Failey, 34, b.c. 1886, NY Single, Father born in Ireland, mother b. in NY
    Son: Patrick Henry Failey, 26, b. c. 1894, NY, single Father born in Ireland, mother b. in NY
    1918: October 28, Monday Utica Herald Dispatch: Patrick Harry Failey of Company A, 136th Infantry has arrived safely overseas.
    1930 Utica June 20: Harry Failey, Quartermaster, V. F. W.: Daily Sentinel Rome NY, Friday, June 20, 1930
    1942: VFW Post 368 Past Commanders Night: in list the late Harry Failey Utica Daily Press Friday, October 16.
    1947: Tues, August 19, Utica Observer Dispatch: Harry Failey, deceased, in list of past commanders (1929) of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    1948: VFW Past Commanders Club Taps played for past commanders included Harry Failey. Utica Daily Press, January 24, 1949.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234