Thread: Wood collier

woofas

Default Wood collier

Can anyone explain the term "wood collier" please. I have found a number of forefathers with this occupation in the Monmouth & Forest of Dean area

Reputation beyond repute

Just Google on "Forest of Dean" and miners or mining.

woofas

Default Wood collier - not a miner!

Followed your tip & tried Google. Got no luck with miner/mining so dropped it and put in wood collier.
    A wood collier was a labourer (or an apprentice) to a master charcoal burner. Apparently charcoal burning was a highly skilled art and obviously common in the Forest of Dean area.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wood collier until 1552 = wood charcoal maker

Quote Originally Posted by woofas View Post
    Can anyone explain the term "wood collier" please. I have found a number of forefathers with this occupation in the Monmouth & Forest of Dean area
    The following YouTube video dicusses modern 21st Century charcoal making retorts, & mentions the previous use of the term "wood collier" as a job description for someone who made charcoal, ... & that in 1552 the term "collier" was legally taken from wood colliers to be used for a the job of 'coal miner' ... who collected solid fossil fuel (coal) from the ground.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ML-xGY6an8Q

Also Google for "biochar" = "charcoal made for the purpose of adding to soils as an amendment" ... in order to assist soil-water holding capacity (i.e sponge-like quality or "absorption"; whilst also acting like a filter to bind onto or "adsorb" nutrients and positively charged ions (cations) further queries to [email protected]