Philippa_Harvey

Default William McDougall, Laurieston

My husband's uncle, William McDougall, was born in Laurieston in approximately 1916 (we think). My mother in law (his sister) told me he was in the Army and died in India in about 1937, apparently disappearing while crossing a river. We imagine he would have been a member of one of the local Scottish regiments.

As none of the family is still alive we have no way of obtaining further details.

Does anyone know of an online list of Scottish military who died in service while overseas, but not in a declared war situation?

Any/all suggestions exceptionally welcome!!

Philippa Harvey
    Australia

uksearch

He may have been in the Indian Army. Take a look at the following link, it may help.

https://www.king-emperor.com/Introduction.htm

UK

joette

Try ScotlandsPeople I am sure that they carry all overseas BMD for Scottish born service people-I do know that I've seen Marriages for one of mine.I think about the 1930's too.

valr

Quote Originally Posted by Philippa_Harvey View Post
    My husband's uncle, William McDougall, was born in Laurieston in approximately 1916 (we think). My mother in law (his sister) told me he was in the Army and died in India in about 1937, apparently disappearing while crossing a river. We imagine he would have been a member of one of the local Scottish regiments.

As none of the family is still alive we have no way of obtaining further details.

Does anyone know of an online list of Scottish military who died in service while overseas, but not in a declared war situation?

Any/all suggestions exceptionally welcome!!

Philippa Harvey
    Australia
    Hi Philippa
    My dad was born in 1918 and he was in the regular army in India from about 1935 until 1940. He was in the Royal Highland Fusiliers which no longer exists. Their base was Dreghorn barracks in edinburgh. I wonder if he was in that regiment too, as it is fairly local to laurieston being only about half an hour away? Do you know what his cap badge looked like? I have some old photos taken in India of my dads regiment.

They merged with another regiment relatively reecently and are now called something different .. but they will still have all the records. I know you can write for a copy of a persons military records if you a relative and pay a small fee.

On another topic - I live 2 miles from Laurieston and if you can tell me his address I would happily take a couple of photos of the house to send you.

Val

Philippa_Harvey

Val, thank you so much for your reply.

Since my original post we have done some more thinking and talking and calculating and realised that our estimate of William's birth was way out. His sister (my mother-in-law) was the "baby" of the family and was born in 1908, which would mean his birth must have been 1907 or earlier. The information regarding his date of birth and age at death had come from former neighbours, and I think we took it as gospel without doing the necessary sums.

Bill, my husband, was actually born in Laurieston, in the same flat where the McDougall family had lived for many years, and named after his uncle.

As a child he had quite a number of military cap badges, one was the Black Watch (his cousin had been killed during WWII serving with the Black Watch), and he had two others which he can remember clearly, Cameron Highlanders and Seaforth Highlanders.

The Seaforth Highlanders seem to have been in India at the right time, we have yet to look up the movements of the Cameron Highlanders but will do that soon.

If you have any information or knowledge about either of these regiments I'd love to hear it, but will continue beavering along in the meantime.

About your offer to take some photos? What a fantastic and generous offer!! So we don't get everyone bogged down in directions and memories, I'll PM you about the exact location of the flat if that's OK?

Thank you again, Val, your interest is appreciated.

Philippa

Philippa_Harvey

Lightbulb

Shouldn't type so much in haste (and should read a lot more before posting).

Just saw in the last message where my wording inferred that the flat the McDougall family lived in was named after Bill's uncle!!! Left out a couple of clarifying words like "he was"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior moment, I'm afraid. As far as I know the flat was definitely un-named!!

Philippa

valr

no problem philippa I can take photos at the weekend - pm me the address of the flat
    cheers
    val

Hugh Thompson

Hi Phillipa, your man might turn up at this site.
    Good luck Hugh.
    Fibis Families in British India Society

https://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/index.php

Philippa_Harvey

Val, will get that PM organised tonight. A little more than an address, which is why it's taking a while. A couple of "explanations" needed I think!!!

Hugh, thank you so much. Haven't had a chance to check out that link but will do so later. Keeping fingers tightly crossed!!!!

Philippa