Loves to help with queries

Default Orbliston Morayshire

I have a relative Donald Mackenzie born abt 1860 in Orbliston Morayshire and I would like to learn more about that area. Donald married Mary Stokoe Bonthorn and in the 1901 census they were living in Carstairs Junction Lanarkshire with their children Grace b abt 1890, George b abt 1891, Henry b abt 1892, Gordon b abt 1896 and William b 1900. Any information or links to checkout Orbliston and the Mackenzie family would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Bob

Donald's birth was registered as Donald McKinzie, 1860, February 18, at Orbliston in the Parish of Speymouth County of Elgin. His father is George McKinzie, farm servant and his mother is Anne McKinzie, maiden name Milne. From 1900 onwards the family has used the spelling Mackenzie.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello Bob

The moray.gov.uk web site is good for anyone with roots in Moray. You can search for people and places by following the local heritage links.

Happy hunting.

Tracey
    Chasing Caseys

Default Moray web site

Hello Tracey
    Thank you very much I have added the site to my bookmarks.
    The most interesting thing so far is how the family surname starts with McKinzie, to McKenzie, to MacKenzie and finally with lower case Mackenzie. It has been the latter since the 1920s.
    Bob

kayehayes

My grandmothers brother Hugh McDonald married an Isabella McKenzie in 1924. Isabella was born 1896 at Broomhill,Duthill which is now famous as Glenbogle station in the television series "Monarch of the Glen." In 1929 Hugh was employed as 4th Horseman at Orbliston farm. He had previously been employed as a farm servant at Knockanbuie by John Grant who Isabella was first married to.John Grant died and Isabella married Hugh and he became farm manager. Hugh had been wounded in WW1 and took to drink.
    Isabella drowned herself and her four children in the Spey River in June 1929 at Fochabers very near Orbliston. I have some photographs taken in the area by a friend a few years ago and would be happy to send copies on to you.