Spangle

Default Rev John Walker, Calvinist/Walkerite

I have just been told that Susannah Oppenheim, the sister of my goodness how many greats grandmother married John Walker, the grandson of Rev John Walker, founder of the Church of God in Ireland. I understand that John Walker broke away from the Calvinist faith and founded Walkerism. My whatever great Grandmother was Emma Oppenheim, of West Ham, London, daughter of Henry Oppenheim also of Essex (now London), and she married a Thomas Kohler in London, 1862, though Thomas was born in Dublin in 1838

The upshot of it is that my informant believes the Kohlers and the Oppenheims to have known each other for years and that the Kohlers (spelt with an umlaut over the O), were originally Luther believers.

My Dad and his siblings had always thought that the Kohlers were Jewish! However, neither the Irish Jewish Genealogical Society nor a genealogist in Ireland can find anything to indicate this so maybe Dad has to admit he is wrong for the first time in 66 years!

Can anyone please tell me more about the Luther faith in Ireland circa 1830 (which is as far back as I can go with Charles Kohler, the father of Thomas), or about John Walker and the Walkerist faith in Ireland?

Of course if you can connect to the Oppenheims, Walkers or Kohlers so much the better!

Thank you.

rlyman

Default Oppenheim -

Please contact me in this regard - rlyman3529 at aol dot com - Thank you - Richard
    Last edited by Procat; 16-08-2008 at 1:38 AM. Reason: Email disguised to avoid spammers

Spangle

Quote Originally Posted by rlyman View Post
    Please contact me in this regard - rlyman3529 at aol dot com - Thank you - Richard

I have invited you to view the tree I have online - I hope it helps. I've also pm'd you my email address so please get in touch if you'd like to, it would be lovely to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Miranda