Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mentorscotus

Default Royal Irish Fusiliers,Armagh( Museum)

I have been in touch with the R.I.F.Museum and a researcher there is looking at a link on a John Daly,(though their spelling is different),which may be the right man.If so I shall post a follow up to update everyone who helped me get to this point in my search.Thanks all.

mentorscotus

Default Dardannelles a red herring...died in France/ Flanders,1918

[QUOTE=mentorscotus;121191]I an searching for John Dalys details.He was born in Tullysaran I believe,son of Luke Daly and Mary nee Lappin.He was born in August 1880 and moved to Scotland later where he worked in the heavy industries of Old Monkland and married Bridget Bennett of Coatdyke in 1902.
    Later he was in the Army and as far as I know, died or went missing presumed dead in the Dardanelles Campaign.

Robert Cassells at the R.I.F. Museum in Armagh has helped me trace Johns service.He died in France/Flanders in 1918....and not in the Dardannelles as family folklore had it.Perhaps he fought there and later went to France.Thanks to all who posted.

mentorscotus

Default cURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER....John Daly 24896

The man whose record is the one above seemed to fit the bill.. except that a Daniel Daily ,claiming to be his father , who was living in a Coatbridge boarding house after WW1, then moved to Ann St Dungannon...asked for his medals.Daniel seemed to have a daughter Mary Ann who married a man called Donnelly from Redlands,Co Tyrone.Is MY John not the man above after all....or is Daniel an uncle or great uncle who was claiming the medals for the family.....or what.....

mentorscotus

Default jOHN dALY R.I.F.13236.. did he survive?

Seems like it is back to the start, on the search for my grandfather.
    Did John Daly,son of Luke Daly,and Mary Lappin born in Armagh in 1880actually survive WW1?
    If so what happened to him and his wife Bridget nee Bennett.
    Have searched Scotlands People Death records and Ancestry also.My father John and his siblings Mary and Luke were raised by their maternal grandmother Lizzie Bennett in East Stewart St Coatdyke ,next door to their old family home.

I have asked elderly local worthies from that area ,but it seems that most of the old neighbours are either dead or the younger ones dispersed.

It looks as if the man I thought was him was a Daily from Co.Tyrone whose father Daniel also lived and worked in Coatdyke at the same time as John my grandfather.
    Help help help.....where to next.....

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by mentorscotus View Post
    Seems like it is back to the start, on the search for my grandfather.
    Did John Daly,son of Luke Daly,and Mary Lappin born in Armagh in 1880actually survive WW1?
    If so what happened to him and his wife Bridget nee Bennett.
    A search of the Soldiers Died Great War CD failed to find a death of a John Daly born in Armagh. Having said that there were several who did not have a place of birth recorded.

mentorscotus

Default John Daly 13236....Survivor?or what?

Thank you Doug.
    I have researched my in-laws back to 1485 in England with very little probs.
    However when it comes to my grandfather it has been ...blind alleys.....red herrings...hopes raised and dashed ....you know the sort of thing.
    It is difficult when there is very little real family history to go on.Dad raised by gran.....people did not discuss illness,death etc with youngsters then.Family folklore suggested their mother had a nervous breakdown.....she was not in dads memory anyhow sadly.Folklore also suggested, his father had died in the war....but since I found information in the book Coatbridge Men of the Great War that suggests he may have in fact survived,I have redoubled my efforts to find clues to his whereabouts.Oviously the Scotland 1921 Census wont be available for a long time.
    So far no trace on Death records,Medal cards etc

It is back to the drawing board...I wish my dad had passed on the merest clue about the family but as he is deceased now it is down to me to pursue this to the end.

mentorscotus

Default John Daly,Armagh and Coatbridge R.I.F.13236

Have gone full circle and am able to eliminate the John Daily R.I.F 24896 from my research despite many similarities to my grandfather.
    My John Daly,son of Luke and Mary nee Lappin of Armagh city may it now transpires have even survived WW1.
    Never-the-less I CANNOT find his death certificate nor his wife Bridget nee Bennetts death certificate either.My father and his siblings were definitely raised by their maternal grandmother Lizzie Bennett nee Lawson at East Stewart St Coatdyke,OLD MONKLAND.
    So what happened to John and Bridget Daly post WW1?
    I AM BAMBOOZLED....

Paulbenn

Hello,
    I just found out about your interest in "Bennett" and in East Stewart Street / Stewart Street in Cliftonhills, Old Monkton, Lanark. My own interest is that I have just begun to research my own family tree and have found Thomas Bennett son of William Bennett in that same place. I was just interested to ask if you have any other information about Bennett or Bennet family as it may give me a push along the way. I am English myself but now live in Southern Ireland with my Irish wife ! - odd how coincidences seem to spring up time and again in family histories. Thanks if you can help me - "not a bother" if you cannot !

mentorscotus

There were two Bennett families living in East Stewart St .These homes were owned by Stewart and Lloyds works in the area.Most householders were men who were labourers in the Tube works in Rochsolloch Rd ,Coatdyke,COATBRIDGE.Also most came from Armagh or Donegal to look for work there.Your Bennett may have been a cousin of my grandmother Bridget,or a descendant of her fathers side...I am not sure of that though.Hope it gives a wee bit of assistance anyway.

mentorscotus

Default Still seeking information on John Daly 13236

Still no information on my grandfather John Daly Royal Irish Regiment 13236.He signed up in Hamilton Scotland, and was directed to the Princess Victorias Own where he spent time.Later he moved to the Royal Irish Fusiliers,then the Enniskillen Fusiliers,before amalgamation with the Royal Irish Regiment.Finally I believe he returned from the war but can find no information about his service or life thereafter in Old Monkland,Coatbridge with his in laws, the Bennett family at East Stewart Street.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12