Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mentorscotus

Unhappy John Daly Armagh birth...army records?1914-1918

I an searching for John Dalys details.He was born in Tullysaran I believe,son of Luke Daly and Mary nee Lappin.He was born in August 1880 and moved to Scotland later where he worked in the heavy industries of Old Monkland and married Bridget Bennett of Coatdyke in 1902.
    Later he was in the Army and as far as I know, died or went missing presumed dead in the Dardanelles Campaign, round about 1915 I think.Sadly his children had no information on this.They were too young and their mother had a breakdown, so the grandparents never spoke of it.
    My problem is what regiment was John in,service number unknown,date of death unknown.Perhaps his Irish relations kept his memory alive with photos,etc
    Please please help trace my grandfathers details if you can

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentorscotus View Post
    I an searching for John Dalys details.He was born in Tullysaran I believe,son of Luke Daly and Mary nee Lappin.He was born in August 1880 and moved to Scotland later where he worked in the heavy industries of Old Monkland and married Bridget Bennett of Coatdyke in 1902.
    Later he was in the Army and as far as I know, died or went missing presumed dead in the Dardanelles Campaign, round about 1915 I think.Sadly his children had no information on this.They were too young and their mother had a breakdown, so the grandparents never spoke of it.
    My problem is what regiment was John in,service number unknown,date of death unknown.Perhaps his Irish relations kept his memory alive with photos,etc
    Please please help trace my grandfathers details if you can
    I see Bridget on the 1901 census. [Ref. Parish: Old Monkland; ED: 15; Line 13; year: 1901] Her father is an "Assurance Agent". Do you have this information?

The only 21-ish year old John Daly born in Ireland that I can see on the census at a quick scan is living in Dumbarton. Curiously or coincidentally, he is listed as an "Insurance Agent". [Ref. Parish: Dumbarton; ED: 13; Line: 12; Year: 1901] Do you think he could be yours?

Regards,
    Trish

Oh, this could be him in 1901: transcribed as John Dalay, 22, born in Ireland, working as a Tube Works Labourer and boarding with a family at 340b Main Street, Old Monkland. [Parish: Old Monkland; ED: 14; Line: 4; Year: 1901]

HTH,
    Trish

In regards to John Daly's war service, have you checked out the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website at https://www.cwgc.org/? You can search for names on the site. There are 74 J. Dalys listed for WWI so it would help if you knew regiment he may have served with.

Good luck,
    Trish

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi mentorscotus
    The CWGC site has 2 John Dalys who died in the Dardenelles in 1915. However, Soldiers Died in the War has 3.
    John Daly, Private, 8th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), enlisted Glasgow, Service No. 9499, KiA 28 June 1915, Gallipoli;
    John Daly,Private, 5th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment, Age 34, Service No 43, Died 16 August 1915, Gallipoli, Son of John Daly, Knocktopher, Co. Kilkenny; and
    John Daly, Private, 1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, enlisted Wakefield, Service No. 2542, KiA 27 November 1915, Gallipoli.
    Hopefully your search has narrowed a bit and you could try the National Archives Docs on Line for their Medal Cards (£3.50 a go), or you may get lucky and find they are on the same card. Also, their Service Records may have survived and are at Kew.
    HTH
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi again
    Just cross referenced Old Monkton and Barony ( shown as the Birthplace of Daly J 9499) and they are next to each other 4 3/4 miles SE of Glasgow. Birthplace details are often a bit sketchy, so of the 3 , this could be your man.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

mentorscotus

Default Dear Peter and Trish.......many thanks

I will do checks on these today.Thank you Trish for all your research on this.As you say Trish...the John who is a boarder on the 1901 census sounds as if it could be him.You have no idea how finding these tiny clues is so exciting.Probably because even his children did not remember much due to their ages.
    Also Peter you have done such a lot of research here.I suppose it helps knowing where to look and you have given me food for thought on this front.The one with the Barony detail may be a lead.Perhaps after he married he went to live in that catchment.I just wish we had information about his regiment...but unfortunately it is working in the dark there.
    I am hoping the N.Ireland link of his birth in Co Armagh may jog a connection with Daly ancestors from Tullysaran or Clonfeacle...fingers crossed.
    Thank you both ..I will check these and get back on this.

mentorscotus

Default Checked the census

Thank you Trish.I checked the 1901 cenus online in Scotlands people.I have looked there before but had tried every spelling of Daly but that one.This certainly looks like my grandfather.Thanks again.
    Peter,there was a John Daly who was born in Barony in the 1891 census.He also had a son of the same name.I believe John( Senior) was born there in 1871 making him ten years older than my John.The man in the Barony district was in the army at some point too.
    My John however was born in Co Armagh in August 1880.....I felt sure that 9499 was my John especially as the Cameronians were a local regiment....I dont suppose records could get mixed up?????
    So much of this is conjecture since I have no regimental details.

Onward and upward....I shall try the web sites you both recommended and perhaps he will emerge.Were missing presumed dead on any particular register?I may try that as we are checking anyway.

mentorscotus

Unhappy John Daly Royal Irish Fusiliers

Anyone able to shed light on John Daly of Tullysarans time in the Royal Irish Fusiliers?????

mentorscotus

Post JOHN DALY,24896,Royal Irish Fusiliers(Princess Victorias)

Recently,a poster directed me to another soldier called John Daly.(This time his surname was spelled Daily.)He lived in Coatbridge,Lanarkshire and enlisted at Hamilton.I found it strange that he was not in the Cameronians(as that is the local Lanarkshire regiment)He was in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and fell in France and Flanders in July 1918.The C.W.G.C. site had his place of birth as Tartlaghan,Co.Tyrone.
    The service number is different from the previous one I had.
    My John Daly was living at Charter School Lane,Armagh; with his parents Luke and Mary nee Lappin.I wondered if he was in fact born at Tartlaghan in 1880 and moved home within days of his birth.
    Where can I get information on his service?There is very little on the Medal Roll....nothing on Ancestry.....and only the few clues on the C.W.G.C. SITE.
    Would the Royal Irish Fusiliers have details......where?
    Anyone have access to Armagh newspapers of the era....do they tell anything about this local soldier?
    Desperately seeking detail on my grandfathers life and service....
    Can anyone fill the blanks?????
    Thank you in advance of any help with this puzzle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast