Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Steve Garnham

Default Apprentice Sailmaker?

I wonder if someone can help me...? I'm descended from Thomas Garnham of Boston, Lincs who was born either in 1780/81 (we can't find his baptism and therefore cannot prove who his father was). We know he was a sailmaker at the time of his marriage in 1805, and have been looking (without success) for any apprenticeship records.

Does anyone know if the profession of sailmaker required an apprenticeship to be served?

Thanks

Steve

suedent

In the censuses for my ancestral home of Polperro in Cornwall a fair few apprentice sailmakers appear, so I would say yes.

In the case of Polperro it was quite often a family affair with several generations learning the trade. They also spread all over the country, I've found strays in London, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Devon.

Steve Garnham

Default Apprentice Sailmaker

Thanks Sue. Thomas gives his place of birth as Lincolnshire in the 1841 census, although I've always had some doubts about this, and Norfolk is the likeliest alternative county for his place of birth ( we think his father came from Thetford).

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Steve

Reputation beyond repute

The likeliest places to look would seem to be in series IR 1 at the National Archives or if no luck there in whatever parish poor law records may have survived (apprenticeships at the expense of the parish were exempt from duty and therefore wouldn't be in IR 1).

Unfortunately this is not something you can do from afar. I might be wrong but I don't think the 1790s in IR 1 have been indexed which I'm afraid could make it an expensive undertaking.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Garnham View Post
    Does anyone know if the profession of sailmaker required an apprenticeship to be served?
    This research guide may partly answer that question

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=295

[Just as a point of interest concerning the differences between our two languages, in Britain, 'trade' rather than 'profession' would be more usual in this context]

bwarnerok

It looks like the Federation of Sailmakers wasn't formed until 1890. Surely there was a prior organization, but I imagine the current group might know that.
    -b-

Steve Garnham

Default Apprentice Sailmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This research guide may partly answer that question

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=295

[Just as a point of interest concerning the differences between our two languages, in Britain, 'trade' rather than 'profession' would be more usual in this context]
    Peter

Thanks for your suggestions. Thomas does get a mention in the National Archives, but alas not in this context (he was landlord of The Cross Keys Inn in Boston and was prosecuted in 1816 for possession of measures under the legal standard). However I will try and pursue your ideas with Lincs Archives.

Just for the record, I am (and will always be) British and plan to return to the English speaking world in 2008!!!

Kind regards

Steve

Jane Elderfield

Default "Profession" vs. "Trade"

In the language of the 19th century censuses, one's status, or whatever one did with one's time, or to bring in money, went in the column headed Profession.

So on the forms, "Profession" could include "Pauper", "On parish relief", "Coal miner's widow", and "Scholar" (aged 3 and up). It included what we would now call trades, such as "Laundress", "Saddler", "Lighterman", "Fuller", "Straw Bonnet Maker" and what-have-you.

And it included the relatively few true professions of "Surgeon", "Architect", "Solicitor" and so on. Then, of course, there are the lucky ones who are "Independent", "Living on Private Means", "Gentleman", or "Lord of XYZ".

I subscribe to a service that includes both transcriptions and scans of originals of censuses. Virtually every transcription has some mistake in it. When I click on the form to report errors, I always feel a bit funny when I write something like "Profession is COACH PAINTER not 'couch punter' ".

Regards--Jane

Steve Garnham

Smile Apprentice Sailmaker - Update

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to all those who sent private messages.....

I'm delighted to report I have now discovered the missing record (in King's Lynn, Norfolk) which has allowed us to make huge progress in the proper research of this line.

Regards

Steve Garnham

stephenw

My wife's family were also Garnhams. I think from the same line as yours.
    Have you seen Garnham at https://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK...poll1784.shtml

Stephen W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast