Geoffers

Default General Family History

Hello folks.
    This is just a reminder that this forum exists. As well as general questions on family and local history; it's as good a board to use as any if you've 'lost' someone, somewhere and want to begin tracking them.

I'm sure that you know the sort of thing I mean, an ancestor was inconsiderate enough to die before the first census, wasn't in trade/profession or the armed forces and just turns up in a parish, out of the blue.

To help others help you though, please post the detail that you do know and the sort of sources that you've tried. It doesn't need to be complicated, something along the lines of:

In (year) and (place), AB (died, lived, married, was abducted by aliens, etc) he/she was aged....I've looked in registers, directories, crystal balls, Alpha Centauri spaceship timetable, etc....and then want you want to know.

If someone you just know that someone turned up in a region, try to narrow down the area and the many kind and helpful readers will try to assist.

Good luck
    Geoffers

busyglen

Actually this is a very good reminder Geoffers, as it will help people place their folks without having to `multi' post to all boards. I must admit that I hadn't noticed this board before!

Glenys

LindaN

Default Watkins Family History

Hello i need some help , as i am a new beginner at B-G Forums so i need all the help in the world to start my family history. So if there is anyone out there willing to help me out it would be very much appreciated by me. Thanks

LindaN

Quote Originally Posted by LindaN View Post
    Hello i need some help , as i am a new beginner at B-G Forums so i need all the help in the world to start my family history. So if there is anyone out there willing to help me out it would be very much appreciated by me. Thanks
    I was born in Helmsley N. Yorkshire in 1944. so if there is anyone from Yorkshire. Please send me an e.mail. thanks from LindaN

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by LindaN
    Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

Starting your family tree is about gathering information in a methodical manner - a lot can be done via the internet these days, especially for beginners.

So to begin at the beginning, do you have any family whom you may ask about your family? Do they have any family records? Note down who tells you what and when and also what documents they hold.

Do you have your birth certificate recording both your parents names and mother's maiden name?

Do you then also have your parents marriage certificate? This is useful in that it contains their (declared) ages, marital status, occupations, addresses, and also importantly their fathers' names and occupations. Names of witnesses to the weding can also help as they are often related.

With your parents names and ages at marriage, you can begin to look for their birth certificates. Do you know how to search the General Register Office (GRO) indices and how to apply for certificates?

If all of this is new to you and doesn't make any sense at all, please ask. If you don't know how or where to look - please ask again.