Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bookman

Question THOMAS CHARLES of BALA - JOHN CHARLES link

My father often stated that we are descended from Thomas Charles of Bala. I have traced back to my great-grandmother Eliza (Elizabeth) Charles (and have the marriage cert. showing she married John Jones in 1850 in Merthyr Tydfil) and her father was John Charles (cabinet maker) - but I cannot yet find the link (if there is one) to Thomas Charles or a member of his family.
    I have searched through the Dictionary of Welsh Biography (DWB), which is an amazing source of information, including relationships and dates, but to no avail.
    Please can anyone help?

Starting to feel at home

Hi Bookman,
    I live in Barmouth and Bala is on my patch, I work in Dolgellau so can pop into the archives if I can do any look ups, let me know.

Regards
    Linda

Bookman

Default Thomas Charles - John Charles Link

Hi Linda (Barmouth)
    Thanks for your kind offer - I would be very pleased if you can help in any way. Is it possible to exchange email addresses? (Perhaps it's not allowed via this medium). I feel I should send you some of the info that I have to assist in any searching you may do.
    Many thanks and kind regards
    Tony (Bookman)

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Hi Linda (Barmouth)
    Thanks for your kind offer - I would be very pleased if you can help in any way. Is it possible to exchange email addresses? (Perhaps it's not allowed via this medium). I feel I should send you some of the info that I have to assist in any searching you may do.
    Many thanks and kind regards
    Tony (Bookman)
    Hi Tony,
    My email is ..... I don't know if it's allowed or not, however, as long as we post our findings on here, I dont think there should be a problem
    regards
    Linda
    Last edited by Procat; 18-01-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Email deleted at request of Linda

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Barmouth View Post
    Hi Tony,
    My email is ... I don't know if it's allowed or not, however, as long as we post our findings on here, I dont think there should be a problem
    regards
    Linda
    There are no forum rules preventing members exchanging information outside the forum.

If you found an answer to your query it would be polite to post a response on the forum so that members do not continue to research something you have resolved.

It is not a good idea to post email addresses on the forum however. The google search engine is exceptionally active on this site and I am sure that spammer search engines are equally so.

We normally change the way the email address is formatted but a better option would be to PM your email address to the other party.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    There are no forum rules preventing members exchanging information outside the forum.

If you found an answer to your query it would be polite to post a response on the forum so that members do not continue to research something you have resolved.

It is not a good idea to post email addresses on the forum however. The google search engine is exceptionally active on this site and I am sure that spammer search engines are equally so.

We normally change the way the email address is formatted but a better option would be to PM your email address to the other party.
    Thanks Procat, I didn't think of that (duh) Can I take it off again?
    regards
    Linda

Procat

Thanks Procat, I didn't think of that (duh) Can I take it off again?
    regards
    Linda
    Fraid not - you only have 10 minutes to edit a post. But I can (and have).

Starting to feel at home

I think I love you
    Now, how do I send a pm please?
    regards
    Linda

Procat

I think I love you
    Aw shucks.

Now, how do I send a pm please?
    regards Linda
    In this instance left click on the name Bookman at post 1 or 3 in this thread.

Then select Send a private message to Bookman.

To send a PM you do not have to be in any particular thread. All you need to do is find the member name. This could be in a thread or you could find their name using the search function.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    My father often stated that we are descended from Thomas Charles of Bala. I have traced back to my great-grandmother Eliza (Elizabeth) Charles (and have the marriage cert. showing she married John Jones in 1850 in Merthyr Tydfil) and her father was John Charles (cabinet maker) - but I cannot yet find the link (if there is one) to Thomas Charles or a member of his family.
    I have searched through the Dictionary of Welsh Biography (DWB), which is an amazing source of information, including relationships and dates, but to no avail.
    Please can anyone help?
    hi Tony,
    The predecessors of Thomas Charles I took from a book
    Thomas Charles b. 14 Oct 1755 - The son of Rees Charles and Jael Bowen. Another book claims his Mum was Jane Thomas ?

From Llanycil Parish Register

The marriage of Thomas Charles and Sarah (Sally) Jones - by licence 20th August 1783 witnesses were Simon and Lydia Lloyd.

3 baptisms
    Thomas Rice Charles b.June 6th 1785
    Sarah Charles b. 17 Feb 1787 buried 23rd Jan 1788
    David Charles b. 4 Oct 1793

There is a second marriage, perhaps the one you spoke of
    David Charles of (looks like) Carmarthen Bach to a Sarah Charles of Bala by licence on 1 Feb 1832. Witnessed by George Phillips and somebody Charles (can't make out first name possibly 5 letters, ends with an N and starts with an E maybe )

Both Thomas Charles and Sarah (Sally) died in October 1814 Thomas on the 5th and sarah on the 24th, they are both buried at Llanycil which used to be the Parish Church for Bala.
    Hope this provids you with a little more information - good luck
    Linda
    Last edited by Barmouth; 29-01-2010 at 2:08 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast