Thread: Shoemaker

jeanettemarie

Smile Shoemaker

Im looking for my greatgrandfather who was a shoemaker his name was James Bracken, but Im not sure whether he was from England or Ireland, he was born around 1800 give or take, is there any occupational directories that list them
    Jeanette

Davran

Hi Jeanette

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong , but I don't think you'll find an OCCUPATIONAL directory for shoemakers. He could possibly be in one of the local directories published in the 19th century, but you would need to know where he was working. However, if you work backwards a bit from what you know of your immediate family, we may be able to find your James Bracken for you.

Do you know who his children were and their year of birth? Any idea of where the family lived? The more details you can give the easier it will be for us to find them.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jeanettemarie View Post
    Im looking for my greatgrandfather who was a shoemaker his name was James Bracken, but Im not sure whether he was from England or Ireland, he was born around 1800 give or take, is there any occupational directories that list them
    Jeanette
    Does he appear in any census returns which narrow down a part of the country where he lived? Does a census show his birthplace? If you can get a location, you may be lucky to find him in an early trades directory.

jeanettemarie

Question shoemakers

Hi
    The information I have is very little his son William was born in 1831 possibly in Malta according to army records,but they dont have birth for him, when he left the army he went to Carrick en suir in Tipparary in 1867 to marry Anne Burke, on the marriage certificate for William it just states his fathers name as James occupation shoemaker,|
    I have not had much luck tracing Williams birth certificate either, and havnt found him in any census
    Jeanette

jeeb

Hi
    The information I have is very little his son William was born in 1831 possibly in Malta according to army records,but they dont have birth for him, when he left the army he went to Carrick en suir in Tipparary in 1867 to marry Anne Burke, on the marriage certificate for William it just states his fathers name as James occupation shoemaker,|
    I have not had much luck tracing Williams birth certificate either, and havnt found him in any census
    Jeanette
    Hi Jeanette,
    I'm afraid you won't find his birth certificate. BMD certificates didn't start until July 1837.

Jeremy

jeanettemarie

Hi Jeebs
    Thanks I know thats why im so frustrated brickwalls all round
    Jeanette

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Jeanette,

I don't know if this will be any use to you at all but on the following link theres a Bracken Ann, Roscommon listed on the Australian Monument for Girls Orphaned by the Irish Famine. Here's hoping...

https://www.irishfaminememorial.org/o...s_monument.htm

Browneyes x

suedent

Hi
    The information I have is very little his son William was born in 1831 possibly in Malta according to army records,but they dont have birth for him
    It might be worth looking here:

https://www.maltafamilyhistory.com/

He may well have been baptized by an army chaplain.

v.wells

and findmypast.com for Army Births abroad for the 1831 child. If there is one note the vol and pg and follow the steps to order cert from GRO. It sounds like he was in the army. familysearch.org is a good starting source too, sometimes.

jeanettemarie

Thank you first to Browneyes, I dont think they went with the orphans to Australia but will check that one.
    Suedent Thank you, but I have already been through the Malta site, and found nothing, as usual,
    and Vanessa, I am registered with find my past, and found two of Williams children there. I also found William Bracken of the 67th foot, age 35, his wife Ann age 26, and the two children I found in the Army Births, in the Citadel Barracks in Dover on the 1871 census, he then went on to have five more children whilst in the army, but I cant find any record of them. As for James Bracken his father the shoemaker, I believe he was also in the army, the only James Bracken I can find that fits was in the 83rd foot an absconder from Carlow,Ireland, so I will try to find out more.
    Thank you all for trying
    Jeanette