Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Trixie-Bell

Default Help in South Africa

Hi There - I wrote the article on Research in South Africa in the 2005 October edition of Family Tree Magazine.

The web site ancestry24 has a Learning Centre dedicated to everything you need to know about Genealogy in South Africa.

We also have over 6 million names in our records including passenger lists and church records.

If anyone needs any help off list they are welcome to email me.

kind regards

georgec

Default SHERMAN

Hi
    I am trying to find out any info about the SHERMAN family.

Henry SHERMAN m Jane CLARK in Malvern and lived in the Transval. They had as far as l know three children Grace Jean SHERMAN m Joseph Dudley JACKSON, Beryl Winifred SHERMAN m Kenneth Malcom MACRITCHIE, Maureen Elizabeth SHERMAN m Thurston Jasper ROATS.

Any info about this family or the familys the children married would be very appreciated.

Thank you George

kevynne

Default Reader

I am interested in finding about Charles Reader who was living in Cape town in South Africa in 1895. His son William Reader was born there in that year. Is there any way to find the birth certificate of William please. It is possible that Charles was a son of Henry Reader .

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default help in south africa

Hi Trixie Bell

I wonder if you could help!

I have an Abraham Jebbett who sailed to Cape Natale from Southampton England in 1898. He was back in UK by 1908 (have no idea when!) but he sailed to USA in 1908 from Glasgow.He was a journeyman bricklayer b 1866 in Leicester England.
    Is there anyway to check where he lived in Sth Africa or indeed any info on him?

Thanks

Maggie

O Sansom

Trixie Bell - Have you any ideas to help me find proof of the death of Vera Ann Fretwell, born 1898 in North London, England. The passenger list for the Tantallon Castle shows she went with her Mother on the voyage to join her Father in South Africa on April 20 1901. They arrived safely in spite of the shipwreck. Vera Ann was my Father's older sister and his birth was registered in Pretoria in 1902. Some tragedy befell Vera Ann and family rumour is that she died in South Africa as a young child. The family (without Vera Ann) was back in England in September 1903. Without an exact date I've been unable to obtain a Death Record from SA and couldn't find anything on NAAIRS. I paid a researcher to check Pretoria newspapers and cemetaries without success. Any ideas?

Thanks. Olive

Trixie-Bell

Quote Originally Posted by O Sansom View Post
    Trixie Bell - Have you any ideas to help me find proof of the death of Vera Ann Fretwell, born 1898 in North London, England. The passenger list for the Tantallon Castle shows she went with her Mother on the voyage to join her Father in South Africa on April 20 1901. They arrived safely in spite of the shipwreck. Vera Ann was my Father's older sister and his birth was registered in Pretoria in 1902. Some tragedy befell Vera Ann and family rumour is that she died in South Africa as a young child. The family (without Vera Ann) was back in England in September 1903. Without an exact date I've been unable to obtain a Death Record from SA and couldn't find anything on NAAIRS. I paid a researcher to check Pretoria newspapers and cemetaries without success. Any ideas?

Thanks. Olive
    Hello Olive
    There probably would not be any records of child's death in NAAIRS - these are few and far between. Records of deaths are held either at the National Archives or the Department of Home Affairs - a researcher would need to know the exact municipal district in which the death was registered - not too disimilar to the British records burial are located in Provinces, then in regions - unless you know the exact region it can be like looking for hens teeth. If you know the denomination the family belonged to the church burial records can also be searched. Alternately the Genealogical Society of South Africa is transcribing headstones from around the country - this CD can be bought from them. The downside is the tombstone inscription is not a true reflection of who is buried in a grave as many times other people are included in burials but not included on the tombstone transcription - the only way to find out the correct information is to contact the local municipal cemetery authorities
    best wishes
    Trixie-Bell

Trixie-Bell

Default Abraham Jebett

Hello Maggie

I checked on the South African web site ancestry24 and found reference to his deceased estate papers for 1910 which means he did indeed live in South Africa

Jebbett,
    First Name: ABRAHAM
    Date: 19100000
    Reference:16386
    Source: Master of the Supreme Court, Pretoria (MHG)
    Source Location: National Archives, Pretoria (TAB

You will either need to write to the Pretoria Archives to get a copy of these estate papers

National Archives Repository

The Head
    Postal address: Private Bag X236, PRETORIA 0001
    Street address: 24 Hamilton Street, Arcadia, PRETORIA
    Tel: (012) 441 3200. Fax: (012) 323 5287
    Fax to e-mail: 086 529 6414
    E-mail: [email protected]

or otherwise if you dont hear from them you will have to use a private researcher.

To find out more about what information can be found in these documents you can go to: ancestry24.

good luck and kind regards
    Trixie-Bell

Quote Originally Posted by perseus View Post
    Hi Trixie Bell

I wonder if you could help!

I have an Abraham Jebbett who sailed to Cape Natale from Southampton England in 1898. He was back in UK by 1908 (have no idea when!) but he sailed to USA in 1908 from Glasgow.He was a journeyman bricklayer b 1866 in Leicester England.
    Is there anyway to check where he lived in Sth Africa or indeed any info on him?

Thanks

Maggie

Trixie-Bell

Red face Charles Reader

Hello Kevynne

The implementation of birth certificates only came into existance in the Cape in 1895 - you would need to know the exact municipal district to which his birth was registered and there are many, many districts.

These records are housed in the Cape Town Archives and cannot be searched on line nor are they electronically indexed.

Western Cape Provincial Archives and Records Service

The Head
    Postal address: Private Bag X9025, CAPE TOWN 8000
    Street address: 72 Roeland Street, CAPE TOWN
    Tel: (021) 466 8100. Fax: (021) 465 2960
    E-mail:
    [email protected] (for General Correspondence)
    [email protected] (for Records Management enquiries)
    [email protected] (Reading Room Enquiries)

kind regards
    Trixie-Bell

Quote Originally Posted by kevynne View Post
    I am interested in finding about Charles Reader who was living in Cape town in South Africa in 1895. His son William Reader was born there in that year. Is there any way to find the birth certificate of William please. It is possible that Charles was a son of Henry Reader .

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Abraham Jebbett

Hi Trixie Bell
    You're a star!
    I had been searching for Abraham for a long while having 'lost' him after the 1881 England census.
    And just lately a spate of discoveries.

I really appreciate your help.
    Off to look at ancestry24.
    And get in touch with archives to try and get all details.

Regards

maggie

O Sansom

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie-Bell View Post
    Hello Olive
    There probably would not be any records of child's death in NAAIRS - these are few and far between. Records of deaths are held either at the National Archives or the Department of Home Affairs - a researcher would need to know the exact municipal district in which the death was registered - not too disimilar to the British records burial are located in Provinces, then in regions - unless you know the exact region it can be like looking for hens teeth. If you know the denomination the family belonged to the church burial records can also be searched. Alternately the Genealogical Society of South Africa is transcribing headstones from around the country - this CD can be bought from them. The downside is the tombstone inscription is not a true reflection of who is buried in a grave as many times other people are included in burials but not included on the tombstone transcription - the only way to find out the correct information is to contact the local municipal cemetery authorities
    best wishes
    Trixie-Bell
    Thank you very much for your reply about Vera Ann Fretwell. I'll probably have to give up as I have no idea where they lived. My Father's Birth was recorded in Pretoria; he never saw his own Birth Registration. He had a document written in Africaans which he submitted as such when, aged 65 or so, applying for a Canadian passport to visit me, he was told by British authorities was not a Birth Certificate "it could have been a laundry list" which he then threw away! A picture was taken of him as a toddler, outside in a carriage, with massive palm trees in the background - which someone told me "sounded more like Durban than Pretoria"; my only other clue is a Passenger Ticket on "Imperial Military Railways 2nd Class from (?) Folksrust or Pol(?)srnst(?) Station to Durban - Dated 4-9-02 Amount 12.11." Such a huge continent... I really have no idea where to start looking. Thanks for your help anyway. Regards, Olive (Vancouver, B.C.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast