Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trixie-Bell

Default Births in South Africa

Hi there

The registration of births officially began in the Cape in 1895 so it might be a very slim chance to find this birth record. You can either write to the Department of Home Affairs

Postal address
    Private Bag X114
    Pretoria

and pay a few pounds but they are very understaffed and to be honest I dont know if you will get a reponse. Going through the SA Embassy might be a better idea.

If you have a date on which they married and place you can write to the Home Affairs as well for marriages. However births and marriages are also housed in the National Archives - you will need to know where the marriage took place and in which magisterial district - only one you have that information will I be able to tell you which archival repository to write to as they are not all in the same place.

You can also search for births, baptisms and marriages online at ancestry24
    Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions

best wishes
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by qldoz View Post
    Hi Trixie Bell,
    I have just found this page and your offer of help interests me because my mother was born in Queenstown S.A. to the best of my knowledge. Her name was Mabel Frances GARLAND and born in 1896. Would it be possible to obtain a birth certificate for her, I have heard it is difficult to get any info from S.A.
    Also I have the original permit for my grandparents to marry and all I can read is that they were from Bloemfonteim and Pretoria though they were both born in the UK. It is written in Africaan's I think. I do not know whether they actually did get married but if they did would it be possible to obtain a certificate ? They both returned to the UK and are on the 1901 Census. The name's are William John GARLAND and Christina/Christiana Andrew's.
    I appreciate if you can help.

Regards qldoz

Trixie-Bell

Default Birth Certificate

Hello
    If you are 100% sure you can get someone to look up the Queenstown birth records. Just because birth registration officially begun in 1895 does not neccesarily mean that you will find a birth certificate for her but it is certainly worth the try. I think your best bet would be to engage in the services of a private researcher.

If you go onto the National Archives website at www.national.archives.gov.za you will find a list
    best wishes
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by qldoz View Post
    Hi Trixie Bell,
    I have just found this page and your offer of help interests me because my mother was born in Queenstown S.A. to the best of my knowledge. Her name was Mabel Frances GARLAND and born in 1896. Would it be possible to obtain a birth certificate for her, I have heard it is difficult to get any info from S.A.
    Also I have the original permit for my grandparents to marry and all I can read is that they were from Bloemfonteim and Pretoria though they were both born in the UK. It is written in Africaan's I think. I do not know whether they actually did get married but if they did would it be possible to obtain a certificate ? They both returned to the UK and are on the 1901 Census. The name's are William John GARLAND and Christina/Christiana Andrew's.
    I appreciate if you can help.

Regards qldoz

pepperd

Default Robert Ebbs/Rosa Jane Young

Hi,
    Robert Ebbs from Scotland Born 1882 emigrated to South Africa
    Rosa Jane Young From St Helena Island born 1878 emigrated to South Africa
    they supposedly married on the the way to South Africa, I have been unable to find any information
    their first child Katherine roosa Ebbs born South Africa 1904
    I am trying to find information relating to their emigration, I have information
    about later years i am just trying to fill in this missing period.

thanks
    Dave

Liane Hawes

Hi Trixie Bell

Just found this thread and wondered if you might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

My 2 x great grandfather George Henry Rowe went to South Africa to work in the diamond mines (Cape Town we believe) leaving his wife and two sons at home. His youngest son was born in 1888 and by 1900 his wife had remarried so it is only a 12 year gap for his death. I have searched all the England death registers and deaths at sea to no avail and can only assume that he died in South Africa. Can you help in finding his death so that I can lay this ghost to rest!

Thanks for your help

Liane

franveale

Unhappy LUFF-DEATH NOTICE

hi there, is there any one in SA that can help me get my fathers death certificate?
    LEONARD VICTOR LUFF
    MEADOWRIDGE
    CAPE TOWN
    SPOUSE MARGARET
    DOB 3/8/1907 MARYLEBONE LONDON
    DOD 3-4-5-6/JUNE-JULY 1976

He left an estate so there might be a death notice. Please help.

stickymone

Quote Originally Posted by franveale View Post
    hi there, is there any one in SA that can help me get my fathers death certificate?
    Hi I presume you already know that his death would have been recorded at the Dept of Home Affairs in CT. Copy certs are obtainable but I suggest you ask them what info they require from you first and whether a copy can be obtained by mail, you can contact them on this.
    [email protected]

If it requires a personal visit and you do not have any contacts in CT don't despair as I do.

I've had a quick look for his will, no trace I'm afraid, but that could be because his death was fairly recent.

PM me with E-mail and any problems and we'll discuss how to resolve this

Stickymone

I can't see a death notice registered with NAAIRS. Information on how to obtain death certificates can be found here.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

franveale

Talking death notice

Thank you for your help, I shall keep trying

Liane Hawes

Smile

Hi Everyone

Further to my earlier query re: George Henry Rowe. Does anyone have any ideas where else I can find a listing of his death. I have been advised by a distant relative that he died on 9th February 1889 at Cape Town but I have searched the NAAIRS system and can't find this located at all. where else can I look to verify this information.

Any help would be really appreciated as I have got a severe headache from this brickwall.

Thanks

Liane

Colin Rowledge

Default Alfred Digby Fanning

Hi Trixie-Bell.
    If you are still willing to help B-G members, I wonder if you can assist me in finding a death record for Alfred Digby?

He was the brother of the chappie that married Florence Priscilla Rowledge [my Grandmother] in 1927. He [Alfred Digby] never married

Alfred Digby emigrated to SA in 1956 [age 60]. I am awaiting copies of his emigration papers from Cape Archives.

Any information on his life in SA would be appreciated

Cheers Colin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast