Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tinker

What a shame your dad threw away the piece of paper written in Afrikaans! Translated, it might have given you clues as to where to look. The train ticket may have read Volksrus(t) or Potgietersrus(t) to Durban. (The Dutch/Afrikaans spelling is with the 'T'.) Both of those places are in the Transvaal province, which Pretoria is part of. If you aren't already aware of this, for Durban records you can search under both Pietermaritzburg and Durban; both fall under Natal province. Just to throw a spanner in the works, Cape Town (Cape Province) also had palm trees along Strand Street (which used to be on the seafront, until the 1960s). Due to land reclamation, Strand Street is now much further inland!
    Perhaps this might give you some new avenues to follow.
    Deryn

Lynda Marie

Default Rigglesford

I am trying to find William Thomas Rigglesford and his wife Amelia who left Canada for South Africa. Tom went in late November or December 1899 or early 1900. Amelia went sometime in 1902 and came home again in March of 1904 via England. Tom came back in June of 1904.

If you can find any trace of them, I would be so grateful. Thank you for taking a look for them.

Lynda

Trixie-Bell

Default Fretwell

Hello Olive

I suggest you go onto the South African website, ancestry24 where you will find a few Fretwells their. There is also a Learning Library which will give you hints and tips on researching in South Africa as well as networking with thousands of other potential people that could be reseaching the same name
    regards
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by O Sansom View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply about Vera Ann Fretwell. I'll probably have to give up as I have no idea where they lived. My Father's Birth was recorded in Pretoria; he never saw his own Birth Registration. He had a document written in Africaans which he submitted as such when, aged 65 or so, applying for a Canadian passport to visit me, he was told by British authorities was not a Birth Certificate "it could have been a laundry list" which he then threw away! A picture was taken of him as a toddler, outside in a carriage, with massive palm trees in the background - which someone told me "sounded more like Durban than Pretoria"; my only other clue is a Passenger Ticket on "Imperial Military Railways 2nd Class from (?) Folksrust or Pol(?)srnst(?) Station to Durban - Dated 4-9-02 Amount 12.11." Such a huge continent... I really have no idea where to start looking. Thanks for your help anyway. Regards, Olive (Vancouver, B.C.)

Peter_uk_can

Hi Trixie. In the past 2 hours I have received a letter that suggests that my Grandfather drowned in Durban harbour.

I know he was a mariner and that he made trips to South Africa.

He was last seen at this side of the world in about 1925. His wife died in 1921 and my mother and her siblings were farmed out to relatives or adopted.

Family legend did say that he remarried in South Africa and had written to my Great Aunt asking about his two daughters who were in her care.

That letter has never been found.

His name was Frederick Philip Ahier and he was born in the Channel Island of Jersey in 1881.

He sometimes called himself Fred, or Phil, or Philip

He may also have used the names of his father and brothers, i.e Arthur and George.

Many thanks

Peter

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default abraham jebbett

Hi Trixie Bell
    Got the death estate info on Abraham. Thanks for your help.
    It has raised another query for me. Apparently, he married a Caroline Mc Guinness in Durban...don't know when. Any clues as to where to search please?

Thanks.

qldoz

Default Help in South Africa

Hi Trixie Bell,
    I have just found this page and your offer of help interests me because my mother was born in Queenstown S.A. to the best of my knowledge. Her name was Mabel Frances GARLAND and born in 1896. Would it be possible to obtain a birth certificate for her, I have heard it is difficult to get any info from S.A.
    Also I have the original permit for my grandparents to marry and all I can read is that they were from Bloemfonteim and Pretoria though they were both born in the UK. It is written in Africaan's I think. I do not know whether they actually did get married but if they did would it be possible to obtain a certificate ? They both returned to the UK and are on the 1901 Census. The name's are William John GARLAND and Christina/Christiana Andrew's.
    I appreciate if you can help.

Regards qldoz

Procat

Hi qldoz,

Trixie-Bell has not been on the forum since March so it is possible she may not see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by qldoz View Post
    Hi Trixie Bell,
    I have just found this page and your offer of help interests me because my mother was born in Queenstown S.A. to the best of my knowledge. Her name was Mabel Frances GARLAND and born in 1896. Would it be possible to obtain a birth certificate for her, I have heard it is difficult to get any info from S.A.
    Have a look at the information about certificates here. Your best bet is to try for a baptism.

Joseph Garland was one of the original 1820 Settlers to the Eastern Cape so there are quite a few Garlands in South Africa. My advice would be to subscribe to the very helpful Eastern cape mailing list. For details read this post.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

qldoz

Smile Help in S.A.

Thanks for that Procat. I will keep on looking at this site. Just where is Queenstown ? which district or state is it in or come under ?.
    My grandparents were not migrants to S.A. Grandad was a Merchant seaman who went back and forth from UK to S.A.

Cheers, Brian

qldoz

Smile Help in S.A.

Hi Sue, Thank you for your reply. I will certainly go for a certificate when I know more details of where the marriage and birth actually took place. My knowledge of S.A. is very sparse.
    Cheers Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast