Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    dnaonejax

Default Fredrick Ramsden

Quote Originally Posted by swisschick View Post
    Hello
    Good to hear from another branch of the family. Are you descended from Edward William or Richard (Ricardo), the sons of Frederick William (also my grandfather) and Caridad Josefa Ferrer?
    Yes, My father is named after Frederick. I think he was named after the son, also named Frederick, who was killed in a plane crash. Caridad sounds familiar. I want to say she married one of the Barcardi's and that I met her in the Bahamas at their home around 30 years ago. She had to be in her 70s or 80s by then. I believe she is no longer with us. She was very friendly and a wonderful host.

dnaonejax

I am confused about who you mean when you say "Charles". The Ramsden who was the consul in Santiago and who kept the diary during the Spanish-American war was Frederick Wollaston Ramsden. He came to Cuba about 1860 and climbed Pico Turquino within a year. He married Susana de la Torre and had seven children. 1- Frederick William (my grandfather) who married first Caridad Josefa Ferrer y Bory 2- Henry Alexander, the philatelist and numismatist who lived in Japan 3- Charles Theodore, the botanist and naturalist. He married two sisters, Josefina Ferrer y Joli and secondly Emerenciana Ferrer y Joli. 4- James Hildebrand, a lawyer who lived mostly in London, England and three daughters Isabel, Dora and Emma. I have been working on my father's side of the family for a number of years and have compiled a fairly complete tree. I would be happy to fill in any of your blank spaces if I can.
    Please fill in any spaces that you can. I would love to learn more about the family history. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or through this board. Thank you for your help. I hope to one day complete a family tree.

dnaonejax

Default Brooks Company

Hello Jon

Glad to hear from you. It would be a pleasure to give you any help I can about Frederick Ramsden and I would appreciate any gaps you could fill on my end. My father was born in Santiago and used to occasionally tell me about the family but it was many years later that I began my research.

Frederick was quite a man as I subsequently discovered. One piece of information I have never found was any record of his voyage to Cuba, I think it was in the employ of the Brooks Company.

Let me know how I can help.

Regards

Jo
    He was in the employ of the Brooks company. His diary during the Spanish American War was published in the USA and was available on Amazon as an ebook. I tried to refer a relative to the site, it only cost a dollar to download, but the link doesn't work. I emailed amazon? He mentions getting the Brooks daughters out as one of the last things he did. I would like to know if he was buried in Kingston where he died? How would I find out?

Starting to feel at home

I will email you some information I have to try to place you in the family.

I have read some parts of his Diary but not all. Think I will again try to get a complete copy. He died in Kingston, Jamaica but was buried in Santiago. My last unknown fact about him is a record of his initial journey to Cuba ca 1860's

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I recently acquire a cover addressed to Frederick W Ramsden co Brooks Company Santiago de Cuba, Cuba posted in London on April 1, 1859. I have read this thread with much interest and it’s been very helpful. I wonder if anyone can tell me when Mr. Ramsden was born and his parent’s name.

Frederick Wollaston Ramsden 1839-1898
    Born 26 Jun 1839
    Baptised 8 Aug 1839 at Little Ilford, Essex, England
    age at baptism 0
    Father Thomas Lagden Ramsden
    Mother Sophia Harriet Ramsden
    FHL Film Number 857062
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Bishops Transcripts
    Marriage 4 January 1831 at St Peter and St Paul, Mitcham in the Borough of Merton, Surrey
    The Reverend Thomas Lagden Ramsden - Clerk, Bachelor
    Spouse - Sophia Harriet Oakes, Spinster

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Do you happrn to know when he becma General British Consul at Santiago de Cuba? Thats the piece of informantion I have not been able to finf

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Good afternoon John
    When you went to Cuba, were you able to determine when F W Ramsden became British Consul at Santiago?

Thanks

Juan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi people,

Isabel Teresa Ramsden de la Torre was the daughter of Frederick Wollaston Ramsden Oakes and Susana de la Torre. Isabel was my Great Grandmother and sister to Frederick William Ramsden. Isabel's first marriage was to Willhem (Guillermo) Schumann. My Grandmother Lucia (Isabel's daughter) was born 22 Feb 1898. I have information of our ancestry and descendants. I also have information on Rev. Thomas Lagden Ramsden, my great great great grandfather.

Ricky

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast