Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    avanderwater

Default Ramsdens in Cuba

My wife is the great-grand daughter of F. W. Ramsden and Susana de la Torre and grand-daughter of Emma Sofia and Fransisco de Pando. The family moved to Miami shortly after the 1959 revolution.

dnaonejax

I am also related to the Ramsdens. My father was named Freddy after in his honor. His surname is Ferrer. We are very proud of the Ramsden side of the family.

Starting to feel at home

Hello
    Good to hear from another branch of the family. Are you descended from Edward William or Richard (Ricardo), the sons of Frederick William (also my grandfather) and Caridad Josefa Ferrer?

dnaonejax

Hello,
    The Ferrer side, we live in Florida, Munich and California. I am planning a trip to Santiago soon to learn more. Do you know anything about the Japanese cousins? What became of them?

Starting to feel at home

No, I cannot seem to find anything about them, the last were steamship records of them traveling. Henry Kazuo went from Japan to California in 1945 and Susana traveled several times between Cuba and the US. None of the records show them together although Susana was usually with family members. Henry was still unmarried in 1945 (he was 44) and Susana was in her twenties at the last record. What do you know about them?

Jo

Nice to see that contact has again been made on an old thread. However, it was originally posted in Introduce Yourself, which doesn't seem appropriate now (though a very warm welcome to dnaonejax ), so I have moved it to the Rest of the World forum.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

dnaonejax

Default Japanese Cousins

The only thing I know is that my aunt(who was born in Cuba and lives in Miami) met them once. I also was told by my aunt that there was some difficult times encountered by our English cousins in Japan. The record I can find says their father was killed in a car accident, their mother went insane(and was institutionalized I assume which at that time would not have been good) and that the children were sent to live with family in Cuba. We also have relatives in New Zealand from this side of the family. I have done a 23andme test but need to have my father(who is still living) sequenced so I can determine where the "pings" that show up are coming from. My mother has some English on her side so I can be sure until I have my father tested, what side of the family the matches are coming from. It's been on my "to do" list. My father is named after Charles' son "Freddy", which is an uncommon name in a Latin country. We also have some French and German and Japanese. Quite a mix. I would love to know what happened to the Asian line and I hope the line persists. Charles had six siblings its seems and many of they had quite interesting lives. It's great to hear from distant relatives and I would love to know more about they family. Have you read Charles' diary of the Spanish American war? If not, I highly recommend it. He was not only a successful business man, a scientist, a biologist, an explorer( he was the first person to climb Cuba's highest mountain), but he also successfully brokered the end of the War. I always knew we had had English roots in Cuba and that my father was named after am Englishman but I only recently learned of the proud history of Charles. He also has butterfly specimens from Cuba in the British Museum and Smithsonian. You can download a copy of his diary from the War on Amazon, it was originally published in 1898.

Starting to feel at home

I am confused about who you mean when you say "Charles". The Ramsden who was the consul in Santiago and who kept the diary during the Spanish-American war was Frederick Wollaston Ramsden. He came to Cuba about 1860 and climbed Pico Turquino within a year. He married Susana de la Torre and had seven children. 1- Frederick William (my grandfather) who married first Caridad Josefa Ferrer y Bory 2- Henry Alexander, the philatelist and numismatist who lived in Japan 3- Charles Theodore, the botanist and naturalist. He married two sisters, Josefina Ferrer y Joli and secondly Emerenciana Ferrer y Joli. 4- James Hildebrand, a lawyer who lived mostly in London, England and three daughters Isabel, Dora and Emma. I have been working on my father's side of the family for a number of years and have compiled a fairly complete tree. I would be happy to fill in any of your blank spaces if I can.

jonhelmer

Hi there,

this is a message for anyone interested in the life and work of Frederick Ramsden especially Swisschick who started this thread.

I have no family connection but I live between London England and Santiago de Cuba where I have my wife and family.

I have been working with the city historian's office in Santiago. At our last lunch my friend Oldga suggested that I research Consul Frederick Ramsden.

As I write I am in London but tomorrow I leave for 2 months in Cuba. I shall be devoting some of my time to researching the information I have gleaned from reading Frederick's diary and from this thread.

I do hope some of you will visit Santiago, I'd love to show you around. When I return to the UK in November I shall visit the records office in Kew where I understand all Frederick's original Consular reports are held.

I am interested in developing a documentary based on his life.

You may not hear much from me till November as internet access in Cuba can be a little complicated.

very best wishes

Jon Helmer

Starting to feel at home

Hello Jon

Glad to hear from you. It would be a pleasure to give you any help I can about Frederick Ramsden and I would appreciate any gaps you could fill on my end. My father was born in Santiago and used to occasionally tell me about the family but it was many years later that I began my research.

Frederick was quite a man as I subsequently discovered. One piece of information I have never found was any record of his voyage to Cuba, I think it was in the employ of the Brooks Company.

Let me know how I can help.

Regards

Jo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast