Stephen M. Kohler

Default Anglo-Norman families in Wales

Anglo-Norman families in Wales--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone researching their Anglo-Norman families who settled in Wales?

I know of a number of inter-related English families living mainly in (or connected with) Wales, many of whom are Norman in origin: Clifford (Fitz Pons) and DeLaskey.

/R

Stephen

John Gage

Post Anglo/Normans in Wales

I am not looking for my own family connections here, but I am interested in this area of genealogy from a history standpoint, eg. connections between Longespee and FitzHenry, etc.
    Regards,
    John Gage, Skegness.

Stephen M. Kohler

Default DeLaskey

John,
    I'm not familiar with Longespee but believe FitzHenry is an Anglo-Norman, or Norman name.
    Why your interest in these names?

DeLaskey appears to me to be a Norman name too but I've never confirmed this to be true.
    I have seen errors in the recording of this name such as D. Laskey and sometimes wonder if someone did not "posh" the name up!

/R

Stephen

staunton

John,
    I have a connection,
    William Longespee or Longsword was the illegitimate son of Henry 11 of England.
    Fitzhenry was the name of a line from the mistress of Henry 1.
    I noticed some Longespee,s in Co.Kildare when I was researching another name.
    regards, Staunton
    Last edited by staunton; 20-03-2008 at 7:49 PM. Reason: adding information

John Gage

Post Longespe and fitzHenry

I am well aware of the families of Longespee and fitsHenry and their origins, having collected numerous versions of their pedigrees from various sources over the last few years. My interest in these families however extends to their connection with the Anglo-Norman conquests of: 1. Wales and 2. Ireland and their inter-relationships with each other as well as the welsh and irish. As for Longespee, I believe their connection with Ireland, principally begins and ends with William I Longepee's younger son, Stephen Longespee (1216-1260), who was Justiciar in Ireland at one time. He left only two daughters who in turn left numerous descendants, both in Ireland and England. It is his wife however that I am particulaly intersted in, as she may well have been descended from Henry fitzHenry, although concrete proof is lacking. The fitzHenry family figure both in the early norman conquests in wales, as well as later activities in Ireland, again I am having trouble tracing a definate connection between Meiler fitzHenry (1118-1220), also sometime Justiciar of Ireland, and his later supposed descendants in Ireland, the fitsHenry family. His father Henry fitzHenry was killed fighting in Wales (1157).
    This should therefore show where my interest lie. I have noticed that there is a family at Genealogy.com, who are also interested in the fitzHenry family and are themselves supposedly descended from Meiler!
    Regards
    John Gage

staunton

John,
    I can see why you became interested in their inter-relationships.
    The descendants of Nesta created quite a few and they played a major role in the conquest of ireland.
    I had a look at Genealogy.com/ Ed FitzHenry p.22 is interesting.
    I share your interest as I am researching the De Stauntons in England Wales and Ireland
    Regards,
    Staunton