Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DorothySandra

Wow! Just spent the last two hours listening to fascinating lectures. Neither had anything to do with genealogy, but tomorrow is another day!

This has gone straight onto to my bookmarks. Thank you very much Peter!

Reputation beyond repute

I see Chris Watt's talk Army deaths, marriages and births 1761-1913 seems to have been nudged up the list for some reason.

This is no bad thing because the talk is well worth listening to (even a second time) as the subject causes a lot of people much heartache.

thewideeyedowl

Default Webinar: WW1 Battalions (mp4)

A 'webinar' is an online seminar. I have just been watching: https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk...rst-world-war/

It lasts for about 49 minutes and is 157MB in size. You can download it and play it on your own system, with the aid of a media player program.

This webinar consists of a number of stills - photographs, maps, rather faded handwritten documents, screen grabs - which are used to illustrate the talk given by David Langrish on 11 June 1914. It really is an excellent walk-through of how to find the relevant material for a WW1 soldier/battalion at TNA. But it is not, alas, subtitled so I do not know what he was saying.

I have asked TNA to subtitle their webinars, so that they are accessible to those of us who cannot hear - I have been profoundly deaf for over 30 years. Subtitles could also be of benefit to, say, a family history group watching a webinar in a place with poor accoustics or for someone whose grasp of English as it is spoken may be somewhat shaky. So, there are, I am sure, at least three cases for subtitles to be available as an option (as on iPlayer).

I have approached TNA's webmaster about this. He tells me they will consider introducing subtitles, as they continue to improve the media portal. Apparently, TNA simply had not realised that the media portal was not fully-accessible to everyone. So - here's looking forward to subtitles and to being able to benefit fully from the wonderful webinars. Hopefully, before the centenary of Armistice Day!

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

Just being watching a very informative webinar on army musters and pay lists. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to delve deeper or has been frustrated by missing documents - for example men who died in service are particularly difficult to research.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...my-musters.mp4

thewideeyedowl

Default Transcriptions

Some of the podcasts have been transcribed by volunteers, so I have been able to read the words that were spoken. Good. Some progress. The choice, though, is quite limited and only a few of the videos have been transcribed. (You can find out which podcasts - audio/video - have been included by clicking on the word 'transcribed' on the tags at the right of the screen.)

I have saved and printed out the transcription of Early Civil Registration (17pp) and will often refer to it. It is in no way 'text-booky', because it is exactly what the speaker - Audrey Collins - said and how she said it when she gave the talk. So, if you are looking to make a file of useful background stuff, then head off to TNA and print out any of the transcribed podcasts that are of relevance to you. Wonderful free resource!

And just to prove that the folks at TNA really are taking the issue of access/subtitling seriously, they have now set up a forum topic on the subject in the Online Community. Perhaps before the end of this year some of those video podcasts will be subtitled? I type in hope.

Owl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12