Debby

Unhappy I have a brother who doesn't know I exist - How do I find him?

Can anyone help me? I am looking for my brother who was adopted as a baby, he doesn't even know I exist so obviously won't be looking for me and would not be able to trace our mother as she has changed her name and address so many times.

I have been told that his birthday was 30th August 1964 (I was born 9th January 1966) he was born in Rochford Hospital, Essex and my mother has told me that on his birth certificate he had her maiden name so it should read Phillip Walton but I can find no record of him being registered under that name.

I have also been told that he was taken from the hospital by a family called Maddams and then adopted by a family in Benfleet, Essex and give the name Stewart James Young.

The only information I can guarantee is that he was born round about that time and he was adopted but I really don't know where to turn.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Debby

Reputation beyond repute

I take it you've looked at this (or know what it says)...

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ad...irthrelatives/

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Debby View Post
    I can find no record of him being registered under that name.
    Have you looked all through the Walton births with the same mother's maiden name? I can see a Melvin P Walton (mother's name Walton) registered in the Rochford registration district in the September quarter of 1964. Could P stand for Philip?

Geoffers

Follow the advice everyone else has given and also try searching the electoral roles. Some pay-per-view sites such as 'find my past' include this facility.

Debby

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for the helpful hints, as I am still quite new to this I have not tried any of the ideas you have given me so I will look into them and let you know how I get on.

As for his name being Melvin there is a possibility that could be his name but even though it is very complicated, I no longer speak to our mother and she was the one that gave me the information about my brother. She has been known to (how can I put this nicely) get the truth wrong! So it may be something to look at.

Thanks

Debby

Reputation beyond repute

It's easy enough to check! If it's wrong, the world will still keep turning.

So far as I spotted, it was the only Walton birth in the right quarter and the right registration district where the mother's maiden name was also Walton.

You'll only want the cert if the mother's name matches (presumably) so it would only be £4 if it's not the right one.

Shout if you need some advice on how to order the certificate.

scouse_mouse_2000uk

Hi I have found this organisation very useful, in fact they found two siblings within nine months https://www.afteradoption.org.uk/
    I sent off for my sisters birth cert and asked for a mother check, I got it two weeks later. Hope this helps, Lynn

Debby

Default Thanks Scouse Mouse

Thank you for your suggestion I will give it a go

Debby