pulcinello

Default Cameron family of Leamington Priors

I am trying researching my Cameron ancestors and would like to find out a bit more about the family in Leamington Priors. From the 1901 census I have found James b.1831, Ada b. 1854, Elizabeth b. 1859, Robert b. 1892 and May b. 1899. I am assuming they are all from the same family and I would like to know if Robert survived WWI. Also, whether there was a Catholic connection to the family.
    I have also found another Robert living in Alcester at the time of the 1901 census, date of birth also 1892, but there are no other members of his family listed as living in Alcester with him. Does anyone know if this meant he was at school there? If so, perhaps he is the one I am looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

jeeb

Default Cameron

Hi,
    James Cameron head 70 Army Pensioner born Scotland
    Elizabeth wife 42 born Aldershot Hants
    Robert son 9 born Leamington
    May dau 2 born Leamington

Ada H Cameron is single age 47 living on own means born Edinburgh Scotland
    She is lodger in the house of Elizabeth Russell

Robert G Cameron 12 born London is the nephew of the head Joseph Buggins living in Alcester.

Jeremy

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default 1891

It may help to know the 1891 entry for James and Elizabeth as well:

Census: 1891: RG12/2467 Folio 131 Page 28
    Address: 35 High Street, Warwick, Warwickshire
    -- James Cameron Head M [Married] 59 ?Sergeant? ?rususuer? Infantry Militia [born] Scotland
    -- Elizabeth J. Do Wife M 32 [born] Hampshire Aldershot

I can't quite make out all the words under occupation . Perhaps someone else can.

The only Robert Cameron I see in 1891 Warwickshire is the following:

Census: 1891: RG12/2435 Folio 51 Page 9
    Address: 44 Clifton Road, Aston, Warwickshire
    -- George Gwyn Head M 49 Tailor [born] Sommersetshire [sic] Bristol
    -- Kate Do Wife M 47 [born] Gloucestershire Cheltenham
    -- Robert Cameron Adopted 4 [born] Scotland

BTW, the 1851 census shows an unmarried Robert Cameron, 37, born in Scotland, working as a butler for a widow named MacDonald at 27 Lansdowne Place in Leamington Priors. [Reference HO107/2072 Folio 339 Page 63]

HTH,
    Trish

pulcinello

Default Cameron family of Leamington Priors

Thanks to both of you for the information. I'm trying to track down a Cameron family in the Leamington Spa area whose son died in 1918 as the result of wounds, during WWI. I haven't managed to find Robert listed on the Commonwealth Graves Commission so must assume this isn't the right family. I don't have his first name for sure (it could be John).
    If you have access to any other sources which might help me and are willing to do more look-ups, I would be pleased to hear from you again.
    Thank you in either case.

Regards
    Alison

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

We're always willing to help -- if we can. Any searching from 1901 forward can be difficult to do but you never know. Searches back from 1901 are a little easier.

Are you asking for a lookup for a John Cameron, possibly of the Leamington Spa area, who was of an age to have served in WWI?

Trish

pulcinello

Default Cameron family of leamington priors

Hi Trish
    Thanks for getting back to me. I am trying to identify a photo of a WW1 soldier which was in my late aunt's possession when she died. She wrote on the back that he died of wounds in 1918 and that he was the son of an old Catholic family. No name. From other family stories, we have a strong belief that he was from the Leamington Spa area, and the name Cameron features too. According to the photo, he has a Military Medal ribbon, which means he wasn't an officer apparently.
    So, not a lot to go on really! We assume he would have been in his 20's when he died, so born any time around 1888-95 ish.
    I don't live near Warwickshire, but I suppose in the end it will need a trip to the Archives there to trawl through local newspapers checking through reports of local men who died while fighting in 1918.
    If you have any ideas of what else I might try, do please let me know.
    Many thanks
    Alison