mentorscotus

Lightbulb WEETMAN..Birmingham hairdressers and jewellers.

I am new to this site but not to researching my husbands family.His g-g-g-grandfather John Weetman was born in Baddesley Clinton about 1775 and moved to Penny Green,we think to work for his uncle Clement Weetman.He later became a Cannock hairdresser.We want to find out more about this.He married Ann Morgan.Where did Ann come from?
    John's son,also John was baptised at Moseley Old Hall,Bushbury.He became a hairdresser in Bull Street Birmingham.Again we would love to hear more about this part of his life.This John married Caroline Wood at St Peter and Pauls Aston in December 1837.We know nothing about Carolines family.Any clues?
    In 1870 my huband's great grandfather John Russell Weetman married Mary Jane Yeomans from Warwick.He set up a thriving jewellery business that family members continued till the 1960's.We have his census details till 1881 then his family are in the charge of an "Annie" Weetman and George Allen a former employee.Why are the parents, not in the next census....nor can we find the death certificate for John R and his wife Mary Jane.Perhaps a living descendant can shed light on this.Thank you for any or all information on the Weetman men or their spouses.

mentorscotus

Smile Thank you Bo Peep.

Thank you for the welcome.I hope someone will be able to fill gaps in my Weetman research.

I see that by the 1901 census ( RG13; Piece: 2884; Folio: 101; Page: 18 ) the widow Annie WEETMAN from 1891 had married her 1891 lodger George ALLEN and was with the younger children in Mansfield Road.

In June qtr 1893 there is a marriage in Aston Warwickshire (vol 6d page 466)of a George ALLEN and when you click on 'Others on the Page' one of the names is Jane YEOMANS. It looks as if George always called her Annie. Perhaps if you get the certificate it will reveal all?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

jeeb

Default Mother is there!

[QUOTE=mentorscotus;
    In 1870 my huband's great grandfather John Russell Weetman married Mary Jane Yeomans from Warwick. He set up a thriving jewellery business that family members continued till the 1960's.We have his census details till 1881 then his family are in the charge of an "Annie" Weetman and George Allen a former employee.Why are the parents, not in the next census....nor can we find the death certificate for John R and his wife Mary Jane.Perhaps a living descendant can shed light on this.Thank you for any or all information on the Weetman men or their spouses.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    If you look at the 1891 census the Weetman children are with Annie Weetman. This Annie will almost certainly be Mary Jane, the mother, as it states all the children are son/daughter. She is a widow born Warwick and the right age. Living with them is George Allen a lodger. You mentioned he was a former employee.
    The 1901 census gives George Allen as head with Jane as his wife and lists the Weetman children as son/daughter.

This marriage explains it I think!

George Allen & Jane Yeomans Apr/Jun 1893 Aston Vol 6d Page 466.

Cheers Jeremy

mentorscotus

Default Thank you

Thank you for this information.Now we can look back at the other Weetman wives Caroline Wood born Birmingham 1812, and her mother in law Ann Morgan b 1778? in Cannock and find out more about them.
    Again many thanks.

jeeb

Default Caroline Wood

Hi,
    The earlier censuses list her birth year as 1816 but in 1871/81 she has added 3 years on to her age. The IGI has a possible entry for her birth.

Caroline daughter of Benjamin & Ann Wood bap 24 Sept 1812 at St Phillips Birmingham

Jeremy

mentorscotus

Thumbs up Many thanks Jeeb

I noticed that when I looked it up last night.The family bible had her down as born 1812,(date entered by her husband John.)So perhaps she was older.I would really love to find out more about their working lives etc,so after I find details on the wives backgrounds, that is my next interest.