Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ruthrrr

Question Police Service Records

Hi

One of my ancestors James Barham was a policeman from roughly 1871 - 1901, living in turn in Upwell, Coveney and Haddenham.

Can anyone suggest where I could look to find his service record or pension records?

Ruth

(crossposted on beginners forum).

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrrr
    One of my ancestors James Barham was a policeman from roughly 1871 - 1901, living in turn in Upwell, Coveney and Haddenham.
    Can anyone suggest where I could look to find his service record or pension records? Ruth
    Hello Ruth
    You won't find a service record as exists for the armed forces and unfortunately a lot of the everyday interesting stuff (e.g Occurrence Books) has often been destroyed.

What survives is usually in one of two places, either the County Record office, or sometimes a force will have its own archivist and small museum containing a representative selection of records.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

ruthrrr

Default Police Records

Hi Geoffers

Thanks for the tip - I think I will give the local records office a ring, or find someone at the local studies library.

Ruth

Jan1954

You may also find this useful:

https://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history/p...ide/index.html

Jan

Eiton

Default police records

Hi there Ruthrrr;

hi my husbands rfelative was a polkiceman in London with The Metropolitan Police. I traced him by actually writing to the metropolitan site; A lady replied with his record telling us he was thrown out the force in 1909 through an incident where he was accused of taking fruit trees and selling them on. He lost his rank and pension for this and all the years he served were ignored. even she said. This seemed harsh for those times but they had toi be seen to punish all crimes; Eiton

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Smile

The is a limited amount of information available at the National Archives too. Umpteen of my lot were in the Police, including Chief Inspector James Berrett of Scotland Yard who solved quite a famous murder...

However, I thrilled to bits to find this entry about one of my other Berrett men:

MEPO 2/136 (National Archives)
    HENRY RYLING BERRETT
    Height - 6' 1''
    Hair - dark brown
    Eyes - Hazel
    Complexion - fresh with scar on right cheek
    Joined Metropolitan Police 27/4/1874 and resigned 8/6/1903 on a pension of £58.5s.4d. 57819 X GN Woolwich Dockyard.

websterbfc

I found a record of my great grandfathers joining records for MET police at Kew and with it his examination from the candidates book which gave info like height weight, chest measurement, skin complexion, eye colour, trade, previous employer etc

kenmason566

Thumbs up Cambridgeshire Police Records

Hi

I have some information on James Barham regarding his police service. If you are still researching and a user of this site please contact me or leave a message on this thread
    KM

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Henry Ryling Berrett Info

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    The is a limited amount of information available at the National Archives too. Umpteen of my lot were in the Police, including Chief Inspector James Berrett of Scotland Yard who solved quite a famous murder...

However, I thrilled to bits to find this entry about one of my other Berrett men:

MEPO 2/136 (National Archives)
    HENRY RYLING BERRETT
    Height - 6' 1''
    Hair - dark brown
    Eyes - Hazel
    Complexion - fresh with scar on right cheek
    Joined Metropolitan Police 27/4/1874 and resigned 8/6/1903 on a pension of £58.5s.4d. 57819 X GN Woolwich Dockyard.
    Hi there!
    I hope you don't mind me commenting here, but Henry Ryling Berrett is my maternal great great grandfather (she is a Berrett), and I've been trying to find out about him for a while. My mum told me that one of her ancestors was one of the original Bow Street Runners, and I've been trying to find out if Henry Ryling was the one. I'd love to get in touch with you and share info - and about any of the other Berretts we have in common.
    Feel free to get in touch with me - I've never used this system before, and have no idea how it works!
    Kind regards
    Amanda

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Amanda.
    It's a little sad to give you bad news in your welcome message, but the thread that you have answered is very old and the original poster (and most of the others) have left the forum (you can see that from the "guest" tag under their names, where yours shows "newcomer". We archive old threads so that the info they include is available to others.
    That said, we have a lot of active members and as digitization spreads, a lot more data has become available, so hopefully others may be able to help. In the mean time, while you're waiting why not take a look at the messages "stuck" art the top of the Navigating forum (click HERE ). They'll give you an idea of how how the system works. You'll find sticky messages at the tops of quite a lot of our forums - they are mostly generalised how-to explanations for the topic of that forum.

Don'r worry if you think you've gone wrong somehow, just ask anyone with the "Moderator"
    tag under their name to change it for you.

Above all, have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast