Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Thisby

Hello,

I wonder if I can ask about something thats puzzling me. Is it possible that someone could be registered on two different census returns for the same year?

I've found who I believe to be the Hollylees in 1861 indexed as Hollbee. The names and most dates tally but they have included their son Frederick. I also
    have another 1861 return with a Frederick J Holylee staying with I assume,his
    grandparents. Mother's maiden name York. Once again the dates tally. I've looked in the BMD and there is only one Frederick James for 1851 and no Hollbees. Could he somehow have been registered twice?

Thanks
    Thisby

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
    I wonder if I can ask about something thats puzzling me. Is it possible that someone could be registered on two different census returns for the same year?
    Yes, it did happen, and I have a case very similar to yours. Child at grandparents', so (correctly) enumerated there. Parents misunderstand instructions and list all usual occupants, rather than just those who were actually there on census night. I'm sure there are other possible scenarios, but this is probably one of the most common, and I expect others can come up with numerous examples of this kind of thing.

Arthur

suedent

I agree with Arthur, I've come across this a few times, for example in 1901 I have one relative supposedly at home with her mother in Liverpool and also in Cornwall staying with her grandparents.

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

There are two entries in the 1901 census, for my husband's Gt. Grandfather. He is listed as being in the family Pub, but he's also listed as being at home with his step-mother.

I shall never know if he was working or skiving!

My son-in-law was travelling by car, on a motorway, at midnight on the date of the last census, so what did my daughter do?

Yes, you guessed ...... she listed him as being at home with her!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Thisby

Thanks very much for your replies. I thought I had made an error and my instincts had let me down. (The surname was spelt incorrectly again).

There are so may ifs and buts with family searching but that's half the fun, especially when you find someone you've been searching ages for and they turn
    up in an unexpected place or places as the case may be.

Perhaps in 100 years time Diane's decendents will be surprised to see her son-in-law's name on the cenus returns, despite his not really being at home.

Thanks again

Thisby

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
    Perhaps in 100 years time Diane's decendents will be surprised to see her son-in-law's name on the cenus returns, despite his not really being at home.

Thanks again

Thisby
    Actually, when I told my daughter that she had officially broken the rules , her reply was, "Well, I know how frustrated you are, because you can't find someone in 1871 ...... so I thought I wouldn't do that to any future *amateur sleuths!*"

She has a point I suppose? I wonder if my Mary Ann was hitching a lift in 1871?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Thisby

That's what I call a considerate daughter-in-law.

I wish my forebears had thought "Perhaps in a 100 years someone will want to know all about us so we will all stay at home on census night, be very precise and write down all the information in handwriting that can be read, and not tell porkies"

Still it would be all to easy then.

Now I can just see your Mary Ann standing by the way, showing a flash of ankle to the approaching hansom cab driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12