Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    debsy

Default Fire Service during WWII

My grandfather was in the Fire Service during WWII and possibly a bit before.
    Is there anywhere that I can get information regarding this occupation at this time? I have a nice photo of him in his uniform. He lived in the London and environs area but I don't know where he was during the war.
    - Deb

He might have known my father, who served in the London Fire Brigade during the war. I can thoroughly recommend Neil Wallington's book "Firemen at War, The Work of London's Firefighters in the Second World War"
    ISBN 0 7153 7964 X (1981)

My father was actually an auxiliary. He was refused by the army because he was asthmatic and ended up in the fire service!!! He had some wonderful stories about the firemen, who teased him mercilessly at first because he was a weedy looking drama student, then roped him into their Christmas entertainment. It was apparently a sight to behold to watch three stevedore-like firemen dressed in tutus hurling my father about the stage, but he took it in such good part that he became accepted. When my parents house was bombed, and my mother badly injured, the firemen rallied round and managed everything, including the house move.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

debsy

Sue, that is really interesting. The only thing I know is that my mum said she and her sisters were evacuated while her dad was away which he didn't know about and when he came back the area was bombed and he didn't know if they were still alive. I shall read your post to my mum and see if it triggers any memories. I don't know why he was in the Fire Service but I think he was in before the war so I guess he would have just carried on. I will check that with mum too. Did your mother recover ok?
    regards - Deb

debsy

Sue, by the way, my grandfathers name was Ernest Wood.

Default Lucky charm

Quote Originally Posted by debsy View Post
    Did your mother recover ok?
    Indeed, as I wasn't born till 1949 . Actually that is a very nice story on its own. My father was born with a caul, which is when part of the foetal membrane still surrounds the head at birth. It is supposed to be good luck, especially for sailors, so his mother put it in a tiny silver pill box, and when my father got married she gave it to Mum as a good luck talisman. During that particular bombing raid Dad was on duty, and Mum was at home. When the bomb hit she was going through a glass door, which cut her virtually in two. When Dad arrived home to a pile of rubble he had no idea what had happened to her, but refused to believe she was dead. He toured the hospitals and found her - they had stitched her up and she bore a scar the length of her body for the rest of her life - but Dad arrived in time to hear the doctors say they were going to have to prise open her right hand, as even unconscious she had it tightly clenched. When they did so they found the little silver box clutched in her hand. She had no memory of even picking it up. She died ten years ago and I now have the box, which has clear indentations of her finger marks. I treasure that box, battered and "worthless" as it is in monetary terms, as without it I wouldn't be here!

PS Both my parents are dead, so I'm afraid I only have memories of Dad's stories of the firemen and not any actual names.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 09-10-2007 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Adding PS
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Colin Moretti

Default This might help

Hello Deb

I don't have any direct interest myself but we had a speaker from the Hants Fire Brigade to my local genealogy group last year; he recommended the following:
    ... a Network of like-minded organisations who can field queries to see if anyone has an answer www.
    fire-heritage-network.org.uk
    Good luck

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

From 1941 there was a National Fire Service which presumably he would have been in. After the war, the fire service reverted to local authority control.

The records of the NFS have gone out to county brigades or archives. In your case you would need to contact the London Fire Brigade.

debsy

Thanks Colin and Peter, I did go to the website and via a link went to the London Fire Brigade Museum. They provide a service for relatives wishing to trace their family’s WWII fire brigade records although due to relocation the service is not available until November.
    The museum is still able to search for records for relatives who served in the London Fire Brigade before 1920.
    www.
    london-fire.gov.uk/about_us/our_history/your_history.asp

Sue, that is a touchng and amazing story! To come through an ordeal like your mother did is hard to comprehend. Thankyou for sharing it with me
    - Deb

David Annis

Default Rural Fireman

My Father was an auxillery fireman in the small country town of Pershore before WW11 and remain one untill ill health forced him to give it up in the mid 1950s. He worked on the land during the war because he was selected for essential war work and that he had had a serious illness just before the break of war. My Mother also was an auxillery as well and worked on the telephone switchboard. My Father fought the blitz in Coventry and Bristol and he told me that on on journey down to Bristol the fire engine was fired upon by enemy aircraft. Another story my mother told me was that one night there was a heavy raid on Coventry, they could see the glow from Pershore. During the early hours they heard the enemy bombers droning above Pershore. My mother had left some washing out on the line that night.The next day she went to bring them in and her white sheets were streaked with blood.
    I remember the sound of the fire siren well. If they were in reach of the fire station they would drop what ever they were doing, whether at work or play and race to the station. I can see my father now jumping on his bike, shaving cream on his face and his braces dangling down behind him. In time the siren was replaced for night call outs and an electric alarm was fitted in the house. Always went off at some un-godly hour and the whole house was awake. Dad would just put his clothes over his pajama's and be biking down to the station in 2 minutes. He would attend what ever fire it was, come home then go to work on the land not having any sleep.
    Just as a footnote. Working on the land in those days was hard grueling work.
    You worked through all the seasons in all weather conditions, no stopping if it was raining or snowing and you were only paid for the hours you did. No work no pay. Towards the end of his life my father became ill, in truth he had burnt himself out, tree and crop spraying without any face mask or skin protection didnt help either. My father had been ill and had not been able to go to work, it was Christmas. The owner of the land came to the house on Christmas day and told my father that he no longer had a job. My Father died at the age of 57.
    Dave.

Fireman's Son

Default Pershore Old Fire Station

Hi, I was living in Pershore and working in Fine Fare Grocery Shop from 1958 until 1962, on the corner of Broad Street opposite the Three Tuns. We could see the Fire Station from the Window.
    Two incidents I recall.
    1/ One summers night there was a call out to a Barn Fire on the Worcester Road After the appliance had turned out I was leaving work and one of the Firefighters asked if I would like to help. We piled into a van and were taken too the site. On arriving they were trying to get the Coventry Climax Pump, towed type, down near the stream, so we all helped . At the last few yards the Appliance managed to get near and give the Pump a nudge! Which sent it over the bank and into the stream!! A rope was fixed to it and the appliance hauled it out!! We ran out the hoses and as the Firefighters poured in water onto the hay rick we used big rakes to pull the hay apart. Couple of hours later it was down and just smouldering, the barn supports 6" RSJs were bent and twisted all ways. My Mum was furious as I was Black, muddy and wet when I got home. Brilliant!!
    2/ Bells went down and lads arrive at Fire Station, newish appliance with on-board pump, wider than the previous appliance. Roar of engine, bells and lights flashing, exits station - big bang!! - passenger door and fireman on ground in middle of road!!! We run out, fireman back on unit and of they go - we rescue door and put it inside station. Much laughter as everyone OK.
    My Father at the time was Leading Fireman at RAF Pershore as a Ministry Fireman, I know they ran joint exercises and My Father was friendly with the Retained Men. He was AFS and NFS during the War. His name was Reg Lisseman. Ring any bells!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast