Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    David Annis

Fine Fare
    In that case we were working just a few yards away from each other because I was working in a gentlemens outfitters just up the road from you, next to Mrs Gustertons tobacco shop. It was called "Hemming and Mills".
    My father went to work up at the RRE airdrome at Tylsford, so I bet he knew your father. When my father died all the local firemen provided a guard of honour. Every Christmas, for a few years these good people sent my mother a christmas hamper.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Fireman's Son

Default Pershore Firemen.

Hi, Ok I am Ian Lisseman, used to attend the Abbey and it's Youth Club. When my Dad (Reg Lisseman) died in 1968 all the Fireman from RAF Pershore turned out as Honour Guard in full dress uniform. That really got to me!! I learned a lot more about him from the people he had trained and mentored in the Fire Service. I know they did joint exercises with the local brigades and he was always speaking to people in the street I did'nt know! Your shop was where I bought my first brimmed hat, because I was fed up of the rain going down my neck!!
    The RAF Brigade kept in touch with my Mother for years, the Chief Officer even came to visit me in London when he was on a course!
    Cheers

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    From 1941 there was a National Fire Service which presumably he would have been in. After the war, the fire service reverted to local authority control.

The records of the NFS have gone out to county brigades or archives. In your case you would need to contact the London Fire Brigade.
    That is interesting Peter. My late father was an auxiliary up until the war at Hadleigh Fire Station, Essex. He wanted to go in the Navy and was refused and ended up fighting fires at Tilbury Docks mostly. After the war he stayed in for a few more years. We have his 10 year service medal and photos of him in his uniform.

When I contacted Essex Fire Service they said they could not trace him or his service. they said they only had electronic records left. So we gave up which is a shame because his war doesn't exist anywhere it always made me feel a bit sad.

S

Shelleysgirl

Hi I also had a photograph of a great uncle in uniform during the second world war and contacted the London fire Brigade Museum. They couldn't help me unfortunately but put me in the right direction with their very swift response -

'The fire service during the Second World War became a national service from 1941 until 1948. Therefore the insignia NFS 35 featured in your Great Uncle’s uniform stands for National Fire Service Fire Force Area 35 which was north and central London.
    At the museum we only keep individual’s service records up to 1920’s. Wartime records and beyond are looked after by Records Services, and I have provided their email address below as you would need to contact them directly providing as much information as you can regarding your relative'

[email protected]

I hope this helps
    Good Luck
    SG

David Annis

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman's Son View Post
    Hi, Ok I am Ian Lisseman, used to attend the Abbey and it's Youth Club. When my Dad (Reg Lisseman) died in 1968 all the Fireman from RAF Pershore turned out as Honour Guard in full dress uniform. That really got to me!! I learned a lot more about him from the people he had trained and mentored in the Fire Service. I know they did joint exercises with the local brigades and he was always speaking to people in the street I did'nt know! Your shop was where I bought my first brimmed hat, because I was fed up of the rain going down my neck!!
    The RAF Brigade kept in touch with my Mother for years, the Chief Officer even came to visit me in London when he was on a course!
    Cheers
    I was in Pershore Abbey choir, as a chorister and as head choirboy.
    1950 -1958
    Cheers
    Dave.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Shelleysgirl View Post
    Hi I also had a photograph of a great uncle in uniform during the second world war and contacted the London fire Brigade Museum. They couldn't help me unfortunately but put me in the right direction with their very swift response -

'The fire service during the Second World War became a national service from 1941 until 1948. Therefore the insignia NFS 35 featured in your Great Uncle’s uniform stands for National Fire Service Fire Force Area 35 which was north and central London.
    At the museum we only keep individual’s service records up to 1920’s. Wartime records and beyond are looked after by Records Services, and I have provided their email address below as you would need to contact them directly providing as much information as you can regarding your relative'

[email protected]

I hope this helps
    Good Luck
    SG
    thanks very much indeed SG . Firemans son I am so sorry to pinch this thread but it was very close to home.

S

Fireman's Son

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen View Post
    thanks very much indeed SG . Firemans son I am so sorry to pinch this thread but it was very close to home.

S
    No problem at all, nice too know others are interested in the War Time Fire Service.
    Cheers

Fireman's Son

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    I was in Pershore Abbey choir, as a chorister and as head choirboy.
    1950 -1958
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Well,well, I was Head Server but after your dates, about 1960 on. I suppose the name Rev Dr Peter Moore, my Mentor into the Church Army, means something! Who was the Chior Master and Organist?, he was the Music Teacher at the High School, Straying from the thread a bit, but can't help it.
    Regards
    Ian Lisseman

Loves to help with queries

I came across this Forum whilst searching for information on my father who was in the AFS in WW2. He was in the Manchester blitz on Piccadilly. The family thought he was dead as he didn't come home for 4 days. I have some photo's of him in his uniform but have no idea what rank he was or his service number. Anyone any idea where I can find these things out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12