Thread: Babey Family

Default Babey Family

Hello, I'm trying to research the Babey family (yes, it is an unusual name!) I think it's a very local one to Hampshire, in particular the New Forest. Apparently, there are church records of Babey's in the New Forest going back to the late 1500s.

Does anyone know where the Babey name comes form originally? I've heard rumours of Normandy, France. This seems plausible as there are French names such as Babeu, Babeau and Babeux etc.

Does anyone else out there have any Babey ancestry or maybe even confirm that it's an Anglisised corruption of a French name?

Thanks.

Default Bolwell and Dibden as well!

I should have mentioned that I'm also interested in the (other unusual!) names Bolwell and Dibden as well. Does anybody know where these may have originated from?

Thanks.

birdlip

Hi there,

my maiden name was Bolwell. My lot all came from Salisbury. If you type Bolwell into the search box above, it will bring up a couple of threads I've posted and had lots of help with, plus one other. Have a read through and see if you think we may be researching the same line.

The surname does seem to be uncommon, there are clusters in the West country, particularly Somerset and Wiltshire, around Bath, Melksham and Devizes. I've seen claims on the internet that it comes from Nicholas de Bolville, who came over with Wm the Conquerer, but I've no idea if thats the case. There are certainly very early records of a de Bolville family in the Bath/Wells area, and in some later documents, the name has been shortened to Bolville, but who knows?

regards, birdlip

Google doesn't seem to have anything on Nicholas de Bolville, are you sure this is the right spellling?

Do you remember where you saw what you were refering to on the internet?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ben111 View Post
    Does anyone else out there have any Babey ancestry or maybe even confirm that it's an Anglisised corruption of a French name?
    At first glance I would have said that it looks like a variant of Beebey.

There's only one way of telling for sure and that's to trace it back

birdlip

Hi there,

a houseful of grandchildren at present until Sunday, will reply after the dust has settled...cheers birdlip

Ancestry gives the origin of the name Babey as a derivative of Babe which is of German or Jewish origin. This would seem to be confirmed on the web site About.com which refers to 'Babe' Ruth and the German origins of his mother and father.
    Whether the above is relevant to the UK?
    Christina

birdlip

Hello,

the hordes have departed, and I'm back as promised.

You're right of course. The Bolwell/ Bolville name was spelt in various ways, and of course I replied to you without looking first at my notes.. not a good idea, especially when I'm distracted by the said grandchildren. I had no business to be on the computer at ALL really, except that I couldn't resist a quick peek! ....and I so rarely see that Bolwell name, I just had to reply!!

Firstly, there is a Sire de Bolleville on the Battle Abbey Roll, and Bolleville is the name of a small town in Normandy.

Nicholas de Bolevill seems to have been a member of the court of Henry III, I've seen various references to him. The only one I seem to be able to lay my hands on at present, is in a group of witnesses to a letter to Eleanor of Provence; https://www.epistolae.ccnmtl.columbia...etter/662.html

The de Bolleville family were benefactors of the Augustinian Priory of White Hall, Ilchester in Somerset in the early 14th century, according to the Monasticon website, see
    https://www.monasticmatrix.usc.edu/mo...&PHPSESSID=32f

Finally, there is a thread on this forum about the following site; the general consensus seeming to be not to take it at all seriously; www.surnamedb.com/ and type Bolwell into the search box.

I tend to discount the Bulwell locational surname theory, because the Bolwell name seems to be so very firmly entrenched in Wessex. Its all interesting though, isnt it? However, since we're very unlikely ever to be able to prove a connection, in a way, its a distraction I suppose!

Where do your Bolwells fit in?

regards birdlip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ben111 View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to research the Babey family (yes, it is an unusual name!) I think it's a very local one to Hampshire, in particular the New Forest. Apparently, there are church records of Babey's in the New Forest going back to the late 1500s.

Does anyone know where the Babey name comes form originally? I've heard rumours of Normandy, France. This seems plausible as there are French names such as Babeu, Babeau and Babeux etc.

Thanks.
    my surname is babey, as far as I know the surname is from the new forest. but have heard that possibly it's French Canadian.

Reputation beyond repute

The Oxford Oxford Dictionary of Family Names says there's no evidence of Anglo-Norman origin.

It says the name is noted from the 14th century in England and may be from a pet form of the name Barbara. Another possibility is from the Middle English babbi (young child).