Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    emyrmorgan

Default Brown family, Market Overton & Exton

My maternal great-grandfather Joseph Ellis {Eles} Brown was born in Abbeys Yard, Market Overton in 1867, the son of Ellis {Eles} Brown and Mary (nee Green). Joseph was a groom and presumably one day on his travels he met and then married a Welsh girl and, then spawned a family of Browns in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire from whom I am descended. I know of no links between my Browns and their Rutland roots. However if Joseph was anything like his son, my late grandfather, he was not a great "family" man and may have made little effort to maintain any relationships or perhaps he left under a cloud - which would be more interesting! Joseph had many siblings and I would be surprised if there weren't any related Browns still living in the Market Overton and Exton area. If you are or know anyone who has Brown ancestors from the Market Overton and Exton area, I would very much like to hear from you.

Emyr Morgan

Judy Hawker

Default Brown in Market Overton, Rutland

My grandfather's mother was a Mary Ellen Brown born Market Overton, Rutland and born 1863. I have two conflicting sets of parents for her: Thomas Brown and Elenor Brown or Elles Brown and Mary Green, the latter from Family Search. Mary Brown was a domestic servant in the household of Charles Saxton in Nottingham and subsequently married his son Henry.

I don't know if you can throw any light on my discrepancy at all but would welcome your advice.

emyrmorgan

Smile Hello Cousin Judy?

I've certainly got a record of a Mary Ellen Brown in my files - however before you have the dubious honour (!) of being a cousin of mine, it would be well worth you getting hold of your great-grandmother's marriage certificate to Henry Sexton for the avoidance of doubt. That would confirm both father's names and enable you to push back with some confidence. I've got a lot of info on the Browns that I can help you with but I think we need to confirm that connection with Mary Ellen Brown's marriage certificate before pressing full steam ahead - I've done the same myself only to find out later that I've gone up the wrong tree (literally)! Hope this is of some help. Please let me know how you've got on and I'm sure that I can help you go back a lot further. Best wishes, Emyr

janbooth

Default Mary Ellen BROWN

Judy,

In case you do not have access to the GRO Index, there is the marriage of a Mary Ellen BROWN in the September qtr 1881 at Nottingham registration district, vol 7b, page 367 and a corresponding entry for Henry SAXTON. As Emyr has said, if you order the marriage certificate that will confirm who is her father.

Janet

Judy Hawker

Default Mary Ellen Brown of Market Overton

Hi Emyr and Janet

Well, I have gone and done the dirty deed! Today I have sent off to Nottingham for Henry Saxton and Mary Ellen Brown's MC, together with the birth cert of my grandfather William Saxton. It could have been another "rushed job" if my maths is anything to go by. Mind you I did fail 'O' Level so that's no qualification.

I am getting excited by all of this. It could be "full circle" as my son settled in Swansea about 2 years ago, which isn't too far from you Emyr? He too may soon be settling down with a Welsh girl very soon.

I will keep you posted.

Judy

emyrmorgan

Smile Fingers Crossed!

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the last message. Let's hope that the certificates confirm the link. I'm quite excited about finding a link to my Market Overton Browns as the only connection that I have made so far is with my 'Green' line - my Rutland ancestors seem to have a thing about colours! Please let me know your news. Strange coincidence about your son too - there must be a genetic link to Llanelli/Swansea in your ancestry drawing you to this area!

Best wishes,

Emyr

Judy Hawker

Hi Emyr

Yes, the certificates arrived yesterday and my grandfather's mother was Mary Ellen Brown and her father was Ellis Brown. My grandfather's parents Henry Saxton and Mary Ellen were married on 31 July 1881. My grandfather's birth certificate states he was born 8 November 1881 and the birth was registered on 9 January 1882. I noticed somewhere (was it Family Search?) that there were many siblings of Mary Ellen and your Joseph must have been one of them.
    Hope to hear from you again.
    Judy

emyrmorgan

Smile Welcome to the family!

Hello cousin Judy,

We're related!!! Poor you .... So sorry I've been a few days in replying. I've had one hell of a week at work and I'm only just starting to feel human again! Have you got an email address to which I can send you info and attachments such as images? If you send an email to me at emyrmorgan (at) gmail.com then I can begin sending you what I've got.

Best wishes,

Emyr

arryboy

Hello There,
    A bit late in the day replying but I have just seen your various posts on The Browns of Market Overton, I found out a couple of months ago I appear to have a Brown relationship with Market Overton a George Brown and his wife Mary, George is shown as a Blacksmith, he has a Daughter Caroline in 1826 (Church Baptism records) he also has a son, in the time available to me at the time they were the only Two Children I could find linked with George the Blacksmith however there is another Brown in the village at the time (1820s) I think he was a Tailor, if somebody responds to this I will be happy to share all information I have. Best wishes hoping I can share some information. arryboy

emyrmorgan

Hello,
    Sorry but I don't think that we are related after all - My ancestor James Brown, a tailor, was born in Wymondham although he was in Market Overton by 1812 at the time of his marriage to Ann Leeson. There are no Georges amongst his children or brothers so he must be the wrong one for you - you mention 'another Brown in the village at the time' - this is 'my Brown'. Sorry and regards, Emyr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast