Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mutley

Sorry Mary I should have said from the UK or abroad. Many sites of this nature request a UK address but Bedfordshire luckily does not.

I hope you get to look soon, it's fascinating. I have found so much information on my Black Sheep and all sorts of snippets about life then. I am almost as addicted to it as I am to the forum.......

Mary Young

Thanks, Mutley. I got in 9 pm GMT. As you say, it's fascinating. Just wish I had some black sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Boyce View Post
    I’m investigating one of my relatives - the notorious London clairvoyant Mrs Gladys Spearman-Cook. She was the founder of the School of Universal Philosophy & Healing in Kensington and publisher of the Occult Gazette (which I believe is now a Collectors item) in the 1930-50s she, along with other notable persons, were into communicating with things from other worlds. I remember seeing reports of her escapades in the News of the World (at the time like many kids I was not allowed to read that publication).

I’m particularly interested to learn how she progressed from her married name of Spearman (nee Gardner) to Spearman-Cook Who was her husband Reginald C Spearman of 1924 (d&pob & d&pod not known at present) and who was or why Cook – memories of a wartime fling? – she had quite a reputation!

Unfortunately the archive site you quoted doesn't cover the post WW2 period 1945 -1960 period when she was at her scandalous best. I don’t think the Times would have dared to cover such spicy events and the Mirror was still respectable.

Regards
    I believe the Cook surname was taken from my Grandfather who left his wife and kids to be with Gladys Spearman in the 1930s

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums SMc_UK
    The original poster Ken Boyce was last on the forums in 2013 but if they still have the same email address they signed up with they should receive an email advising them of your post. Even if circumstances do not lead to a reply your post could be helpful to others in the future.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12