Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Clairepixie

Default Searching for information about H.B.Willis

I am searching for information about my late grandfather Mr Harry Bernard Willis who was a lay preacher in the Ross on Wye area but appeared to preach on a circuit in the area. I understand he used the name Bernard mostly. I have very little information about him at this time. He married my grandmother, Lily Margaret Malpas, who was his second wife in the last quarter of 1931. I understand the Methodist Local Prachers Who's Who 1934 may be a possible resource for obtaining more information. Many thanks.

frangelico

Hello Mary

I have only joined this site a couple of weeks ago and on looking through the postings I noticed this old one of yours and I noticed that you have the name of one of my ancestors name in the list of Methodist preachers from 1934. His name was Thomas Jackson Metcalfe from Wolsingham, he was my grandmother,s cousin. I was wondering if it gave any details of him in your book. I also had a gt uncle.....Vincent Iley, and a gt granda ...Joseph Collingwood Iley, who were lay preachers. I don,t know if you are still on this site so I hope you get my request.

Thank You
    Frangelico

Mary has not visited the site since 2010 and we don't know if the email address she gave is still active. Please don't be too disappointed if you don't get a reply
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

RayK23

Not too practised in how these threads work. Is this the place to enter a new query? I would like to find out if the 1934 Who's Who would have a record of a local preacher in Wesleyan and then Methodist Church called John Robert Slater, known as Jack. His church was Husthwaite in Easingwold circuit, N. Yorks. I'm just not really sure if he was the relative who was indeed the preacher.
    Ray

Hello Ray and welcome to British-Genealogy

Mary, who offered to do look ups for Methodist preachers hasn't been on the forums since 2010 and has not answered posts since then so it does look as if you will not receive an answer from her re your request.

I did a google search and found This site which shows who holds the records and links to other sites. It may help you.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Hello Ray,

I have indeed been very absent ... current family history ... Is this the entry you were looking for?

SLATER John Robert b. Nelson 1896 e: Local m. Florence Holt. Solicitor. y.a. 1922 c: Nelson,Scotland Rd. c.o: Trust Treas, Ex S.S. Supt. p.o.: Ex T. Councillor a: Nelford, Higher Reedley Rd, Brierfield & 24 Carr Rd, Nelson, Lancs t: 911

meaning

born: Nelson 1896 educated: Local married. Florence Holt. Solicitor. Year appointed: 1922 Circuit: Nelson,Scotland Rd. Church Office: Trust Treasurer, Ex Sunday School Superintendan. public office: Ex Teacher. Councillor address: Nelford, Higher Reedley Rd, Brierfield & 24 Carr Rd, Nelson, Lancs telephone: 911

Mary.

Hmmm ... is it that long ? Oh dear

METCALFE Thomas Jackson b. Wolsingham 1892 e: Elem & Sec Sc m: Annie Florence Sanderson d: 1 Teacher of Handicraft y.a.: 1914 c: Darlington South c.o.: Soc Stwd, Ex S.S.Supt., asst Organist, Guild Sec. Ints: temperance a: Taylors Cross Fm, Bude, Cornwall

meaning

born. Wolsingham 1892 educated: Elem & Sec Sc married: Annie Florence Sanderson ddaughter: 1 . Teacher of Handicraft year appointed: 1914 circuit: Darlington South church office.: Society Steward, Ex Sunday School Superintendant., assistant Organist, Guild Secretary. Interests: temperance address: Taylors Cross Fm, Bude, Cornwall

I think this may be him Claire

WILLIS Harry Bernard b. Wing, Leighton Buzzard 1872 e: Elem. Grocery Traveller y.a. 1903 c: Wye Valley Missn c.o. Chapel Stwd & All Ch Offices except Conf Rep. Ints Reading Rec: Gardening a: Westholm, Ashfield Park Av, Ross-on-Wye

meaning

born Wing, Leighton Buzzard 1872 eudacted: Elem. Grocery Traveller year appointed. 1903 circuit: Wye Valley Missn church office: Chapel Steward & All Church Offices except Conference Representative. Intereststs: Reading Recreations: Gardening address: Westholm, Ashfield Park Av, Ross-on-Wye

Quote Originally Posted by mary elms View Post
    Hmmm ... is it that long ? Oh dear
    Hello Mary,
    welcome back. I am so glad you still have the same email address and Ray was able to make contact and receive your help.
    If life isn't too demanding at the moment why not hang around and become re-acquainted with Brit-Gen?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

frangelico

Thank you for your reply Mary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12