Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sylvia

Post Fish surname Sawbridgeworth/Stanstead Abbots

I have just started to help my husband look into his Fish family from Hertfordshire. His gg grandfather was Thomas Fish b 1838 in Sawbridgeworth and Thomas' descendants had moved to Stanstead Abbots by the early 1900s.

We would love to hear from anyone who has links with this family

Kind regards

Sylvia

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    His gg grandfather was Thomas Fish b 1838 in Sawbridgeworth and Thomas' descendants had moved to Stanstead Abbots by the early 1900s.
    Hi Sylvia, and welcome to the Hertfordshire B-G Forum!

Did your family move, or did the boundary move??? In any event, they didn't move far - a bit like my lot really.

You might find this thread of interest:-

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ead.php?t=8284

I've not established any relationships with my own family, but in my notes I have:-
    ----------------------------------------
    Hannah Fish b ca 1846, Widford, Servant in the household of Henry Thomas Blackaby, Baker, High St, Stanstead, Herts. (1861 Census)
    ----------------------------------------
    Mary Fish b ca 1850 Sawbridgeworth, daughter of William Fish, Married Charles Blackaby (b ca 1844, High Wych) on 2-Jan-1869 in High Wych. (This is from 1881 census, and High Wych PR extracts on BIVRI)

In 1861, Mary was housekeeper to Joseph Whybrew (farmer) in Sawbridgeworth (Census info - and oh dear, I need to check that - it might be Charles who was JW's Housekeeper, my notes are ambiguous)

I have records of the births and baptisms of Charles and Mary's 7 offspring if you are interested, but have not followed them up as yet - any relationship to my Blackaby family is fairly remote if any.

I do a bit of "Fishing around" in Herts PRs , so I'll try to keep an eye open for you.

Kind Regards

Clive

veldsmw

Default Fish

Hi I have a John Fish born about 1720
    he lived in Clewer and Windsor till 1777 when he died
    he married an Elizabeth
    cant find where he came from.
    Does he have any connections with Fish in your area?

thanks
    Walter
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2007 at 9:04 PM.

Ed Bradford

Default Fish Family

Hi Sylvia,
    Clive has already pointed out the thread that I started which contained my Fish ancestor. I haven't been able to add anything to my file on that family since that posting. I keep hoping that I'll stumble on to something. Keep me in mind if you find any information at all.
    ..............Ed

petercornish

Hi Sylvia,
    The 1841 census under reference HO107/434/9 F.14 P.22 records Thomas age 2 at Spellbrook, Sawbridgeworth with his parents John 35 and Ann 35 and siblings Mary 13, John10, Charles 7, Henry 4, and George 3mths. (Adult ages rounded down to nearest 5 in this census).
    The 1851, HO107/1706 F.68 P.29 has Thomas living at Says Field, Sawbridgeworth and records John 49 bn Thorley, Ann 47 Little Hadham and one more sibling, James 6.
    The IGI records a marriage at Little Hadham of John FISH and Ann SHIPP on 17Nov1821.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards ... Peter

petercornish

Hi Sylvia,
    I searched the Sawbridgeworth and Thorley PRs but regret no trace of a baptism for Thomas FISH circa 1838. I did however find a baptism for John s/o Richard and Mary FISH on 23Mar1800 at Thorley.
    At Little Hadham I found a baptism for Ann d/o Wm. and Mary SHIPP on 04May1806 (born 23Apr1806) also the interesting marriage entry for John and Ann which read ...
    John FISH of this parish bachelor and Ann SHIPP otp spinster were married by banns with consent of James WATTS on 17th November 1821. Witnesses James WATTS and Mary CHAPEL. All four made their marks.

Regards ... Peter

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by petercornish View Post
    Hi Sylvia,
    I searched the Sawbridgeworth and Thorley PRs .......
    At Little Hadham .......
    Hi Peter,
    (and apologies to Sylvia for hijacking her thread and "going off topic") but does that mean you have ready access to Hertfordshire PRs???
    {feel free to reply via email if you'd prefer not to give open details!!}

Sylvia

Smile Fish!

Hi All

Thank you Clive for the welcome and no problem about hijacking the thread for Parish Register access information!

Thank you also Peter and Clive for the Fish details from the Parish Registers, Census, etc. We have not found any links to the Blackaby/ Fish line as yet although we have found a few High Wych Fishes on the records.

Looking at the information you all kindly posted alongside the information we have found, it looks as though the most likely direct line for my husband's family is the one back to John and Ann Shipp. So our Fishes seem to be mainly from Sawbridgeworth (which seems to move between Herts and Essex), Thorley, Bishops Stortford and Stanstead Abbots.

Thank you Ed for pointing out the thread containing your Fish ancestor. We have read through it.

Walter - unfortunately, we do not have any information about the John Fish be about 1720 but will bear it in mind if we come across anything that looks likely.

My husband is now busy entering quite a lot of Fish information into our software and as soon as he is a bit more into the swing of things, I will probably subscribe him to the B-G Forum while I continue to research my Staffordshire roots!

Best wishes

Sylvia

Clive Blackaby

Hi Sylvia,

I've got a file of (oh dear, sorry ) Dead Fish & Shipps - abstracted from the National Burial Index. v1 including quite a few in Sawbridgeworth, Hadham etc.

Copyright restrictions prohibit me from putting this on the forum, but if you'd like to drop me an email through the site, I'll send it to you.

Clive

Starting to feel at home

Clive at Leventhorpe school Sawbridgeworth mid 1970's-mid 1980's there were Sawbridgeworth Fish and Blackaby families still.

Shipp family in Bishop's Stortford and Takeley and Elsenham too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast